Roofing Price Verification

Old 01-23-2018, 06:47 AM   #1

Trade: Carpentry

Roofing Price Verification

A business approach one of my guys with a price sheet to start his own roofing crew. Are these prices low ball or industry standard in southeast? Thank you for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Roofing price verification-cab34a85-eb42-41bd-90a3-96ade3534060_1516707899840.jpeg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2018, 07:51 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 1,595

Re: Roofing Price Verification

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG2C View Post
A business approach one of my guys with a price sheet to start his own roofing crew. Are these prices low ball or industry standard in southeast? Thank you for the help.
If you can make money at those prices, it works. Itís a little lower than in the north but the guys up here have to factor in a little extra for lost time due to winter weather.

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,900

Tear off and new shingles walkable here have been running 250.00 sq for quite a while. Simple 42 ft wide ranch 5/12 5000.00

Old 01-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
Been around

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 1,540

This is why direct pricing questions are frowned upon here.

Too many variables. Lots of responsibilities that aren't clear.

What's the pay cycle? Whose license? Whose truck? Whose tools? Insurance? Scheduling? Volume? Where are the workers coming from? and on and on......

Based on your sheet, prices in the SE suck.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #5

Trade: Carpentry

What's the pay cycle?
Weekly

Whose license?
Not mine

Whose truck?
My truck
Whose tools?
My tools
Insurance?
My tools
Scheduling?
Me
Volume?
Unknown

Where are the workers coming from?
Local
Old 01-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
Been around

Rewards Points: 1,540

Pricing is regional in nature. It's somewhat widely accepted within regions that sub-contract labor will fall into some fairly narrow territory. While many on the forum would like to suggest you have to charge what you have to charge, subbing in a market like you have suggested will generally fall into a fairly tight range.

I am not in your region, but that sheet would be about half of what would be needed here. Of course that would be fully independent and insured sub.

Further, sales companies like to simplify as much as they can. Again with variables. As a sub, one is supplying labor. More labor equates to higher costs. The basic breakdown of roofing types may serve the sales side, but from a labor side it's way too generic IMO. $5/sq extra to strip and install on a non-walker....realistically that should be closer to a 50% bump. But the sales side doesn't get it and the labor ends up eating it.

You might try and private message to member A&E. Can't say if he will give you the time of day, but that's up to him. You might get some better appreciation if you put an intro up in the introduction forum section first.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 8

I sub occasionally, but wouldn't touch a roof for that. I pay my subs more than that, on a complex steep roof, my subs would make more than twice what their math shows. I have no idea where you are in the US but I can almost surely assume that nobody is going to be paying for insurance, tax's, registrations, testing, vehicles, tool repairs, etc. from that amount.

I'm new to this site, but I dont think I'm alone when I say that there is a new generation of roofer out there, and like me, we think that a roofer should be able to earn a wage consistent with the skill and labor required, everyone that works for me makes upwards of 20 bucks an hour, hell I start green laborers at 15. You will not be able to call anyone on that crew and ask them a question....nobody will have phones, or they will part of the month. You could walk up to one of my guys and ask an obscure code question and they would pull out the latest iphone and use their code app to find the answer, and then they would cross reference the manufacturers instructions and (this actually happened) then pull up a Memo from Indiana DHS code enforcement explaining that those instructions should be considered part of code if you use that brand.

I guess things are different for different people. Seriously tho....I've heard of even lower but am not sure how its possible.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 931

I would say low ball pricing. Iím paying 10% - 75% more then those listed prices depending on the job.
And who the hell thinks an old 9/12 roof is walkable...

Iím sure he could find some idiots to do his work for those prices. But I would feel embarrassed asking my subs to do it for some of those prices. Anyone worth a damn deserves a fair wage.

Advertisement