Roofing Felt Under Drip Edge

Old 08-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 500

Roofing Felt Under Drip Edge

I'm on holidays, visiting family. My wife likes to sleep in so I go to the library.
Saw a book on 'Roofing' flipped through it.

They advised putting the felt on first then the drip edge on top of it.

If water comes down the felt it would go under the drip edge and on the fascia and possibly rot it.

I have always put the roof edge under the felt. Remember water runs down hill.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Building and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Roofing Felt Under Drip Edge

Remember code says Ice and Water on the eves over the drip edge...

Old 08-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Pro

Ice & Water is not required in my area, Only recommended.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 510

Quote:
If water comes down the felt it would go under the drip edge and on the fascia and possibly rot it.
This has been discussed here before.

Actualy what happens, is the tar ( black ) from either the ice and water shield, the black felt paper or the underside of the shingles will tranfer black stains on the fascia. If the fascia is white then its pretty noticable. Its not a matter of 'if 'the ice will get under the shingles, its when.
Some here will chime in and repeat what the bible books say. There is more to the body of knowlege then what one reads.

generaly though, water will stay on top of the roof covering assembly.
The Following User Says Thank You to red_cedar For This Useful Post:
Tom M (08-18-2010)
Old 08-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling

I drip edge the eaves, lay the ice and water and the rest of the felt. After the rest of the felt is down then I put my rake drip edge on.
When you rob Peter to pay Paul, chances are pretty good you will receive Paul's vote. Apparently the object of the game is to create more Pauls than Peters....What happens when the Peters can no longer support the Pauls? .
The Following User Says Thank You to PA woodbutcher For This Useful Post:
skyhook (11-10-2010)
Old 08-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Rewards Points: 1,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_cedar View Post

Actualy what happens, is the tar ( black ) from either the ice and water shield, the black felt paper or the underside of the shingles will tranfer black stains on the fascia. If the fascia is white then its pretty noticable. Its not a matter of 'if 'the ice will get under the shingles, its when.
Some here will chime in and repeat what the bible books say. There is more to the body of knowlege then what one reads.

I've seen that plenty of times before, but it wasn't the I&W. It was because the shingles were not hung over far enough and the water would run off the shingle and down the fascia. This is especially with older non "AR" shingles.

99% of the houses here have the I&W over the drip edge because the code was strictly enforced after the storms started hitting 15 years ago. We have our fair share of bad winter weather, so it would have shown up as a problem within the last 10 years or so. I just don't see it.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:

Maybe I am not understanding this comment. Even if you put the I&W or Felt under the drip edge the shingles will still be on top so still a chance of stains on the fascia.

Every roof I have re-roofed that had tar paper (not all do) did not have stains on the fascia and the felt was on top of the drip edge.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 510

Well, if you havent seen it then its not an issue. So realy the the thing to do is do what works best for you.

The way ive done it, is to lay a 6+ or so inch strip of ice and water onto the fascia about 2 inches, the rest on the roof. Lay the gutter apron or drip edge
on top of that. then I put the ice and water shield onto the the metal .
I came up with this due to what I saw with the black streaks.
Works for me, I feel good about it, homeowners happy, thats what matters.

Quote:
I've seen that plenty of times before, but it wasn't the I&W. It was because the shingles were not hung over far enough and the water would run off the shingle and down the fascia. This is especially with older non "AR" shingles.
Where I have seen it is with gutters in place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red_cedar For This Useful Post:
Cjeff (08-23-2010), Tom Struble (08-19-2010)
Old 08-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 2,012

theoretically yes the drip edge should go down first then the ice and water over that, however ive seen it many times having the drip edge down first allows any dampness coming up out of the eaves to condensate on the dripedge then soaks the edge of the sheathing then rots it, so.... ice and water then drip edge, then starter course of shingles
Cjeff (08-23-2010)
Old 08-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Public Insurance Adjuster

Quote:

I have never in my life seen that happen.....of course, it hasn't rained in East Texas in 17 years.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: roofing

You never ever apply drip edge "or any other roofing or flashing" on bare sheathing. You always put your I&W shield down first, we turn it down on the facia 3/4". This is the W.R. Grace specifications and they invented the stuff. I see ice dam leaks every winter where the water backed up through the joint at the top of the facia and bottom of the roof sheathing. Kepp doing it wrong guys, more work for me.

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RooferJim For This Useful Post:
Bad Boy Biker (04-24-2012), PCI (06-11-2012)
Old 08-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #12

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Congrats Jim, you seem to be the only one that knows the correct way to install ice guard. After reading this I will buy stock in osb as it seems alot of roofs are rotting out as we speak!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Building and Remodeling

http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/...ds/english.pdf
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonM For This Useful Post:
CutEdgeDesign (08-23-2010), fourcornerhome (11-13-2010), joe dirt (03-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,210

I had a couple of roofers come to look at doing a small 12x10 roof and this come up in the conversation. Grace say that it should be installed first but they both said that it's not the way it's done. I pulled the instructions and showed them both and they said that instructions was wrong and they never do it like that and that ice and water always goes over drip edge first. Didn't bother calling them back and now I'm doing it my self. Seems people no longer read instructions as they think they know better.
fourcornerhome (11-13-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #15
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to ApgarNJ

simple solution, stop using drip edge! if you run edge shingles along with starters what difference does it make? run the ice and water over the facia an inch, or 3/4 as was just stated and be done with it.

drip edge really doesn't do anything but help support the shingles on the fascia board, but if not overhung too far, that shouldn't make a difference.

I hate drip edge.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApgarNJ View Post
simple solution, stop using drip edge! if you run edge shingles along with starters what difference does it make? run the ice and water over the facia an inch, or 3/4 as was just stated and be done with it.

drip edge really doesn't do anything but help support the shingles on the fascia board, but if not overhung too far, that shouldn't make a difference.

I hate drip edge.
I thought drip edge was used to stop the splashing from the water going into gutters from getting up under the roof tiles and between the gutter and facia. That's the way I always seen them installed. The roofs I see without the drip edges leak water between the facia and gutters. Got that exact problem on a current house I'm working on.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #17
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Send a message via AIM to ApgarNJ

if the ice and water shield seals down to the fascia board, then the plywood is covered. if the gutters are maintained and function properly, then water shouldn't be getting to the fasica board. with the pitch of a gutter, there is no way for the drip edge to go into the gutter and create a seal all the way along a fascia.

I have done with and without drip edge and never had a problem.

Most of the fascia/rakes we do these days are Azek or wrapped alum 2x's.

I like the cleaner look of seeing no drip edge, especially on rake boards.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApgarNJ View Post
if the ice and water shield seals down to the fascia board, then the plywood is covered. if the gutters are maintained and function properly, then water shouldn't be getting to the fasica board. with the pitch of a gutter, there is no way for the drip edge to go into the gutter and create a seal all the way along a fascia.

I have done with and without drip edge and never had a problem.

Most of the fascia/rakes we do these days are Azek or wrapped alum 2x's.

I like the cleaner look of seeing no drip edge, especially on rake boards.
I see what you mean. I guess if you was not doing gutters on roof it may be more important to use drip edge.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #19
I like Green things

Trade: Custom Carpentry Services

All the cost cutting builders around here skip the gutter apron on all these hip roof houses.

I have fixed more leaks then I can count because someone decided 5 bucks per stick was a good way to cut costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
I don't normally talk to people like I talk to you, however you have the little immature schoolgirl mentality so this is new to me.
Warner Remodeling
Old 08-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #20

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Consider the drip edge to be a diverter of water from the roof into the gutter. If there is not some sort of edge then the water would run in between the gutter and facia. A good comparison is a deck ledger board needing flashing to keep water from going between it and the house. Which by the way is code. I can't picture it working properly without the drip edge.