Roofing Button Cap Nailer.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:01 AM   #1
Thread Reading Aficionado

Trade: Building Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,296

Roofing Button Cap Nailer.

I have a roofing job coming up and needed to get a button cap Nailer and I wanted a hitachi gun. I can't find one anywhere. I know Bostitch makes one in the Senco makes one.
But all of our nail distributors are selling a stinger button Nailer. I'm hearing that they are junk what is your take on them? Or how can I find a Hitachi button Nailer? I need it for Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2015, 06:52 AM   #2
Been around

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 1,386

Re: Roofing Button Cap Nailer.

I don't think the stinger is junk.

The cn100 shoots a 7/8" nail so it's not useful for much other than paper (any type of wrap) or 1/4" fan fold insulation. Some of the others shoot longer fasteners so in the end might be more versatile, but they are much bulkier.

This topic comes up every couple months and I don't think the discussion has ever brought out a strong favorite.

All these tools seem to be a bit temperamental and require a little bit of gentle handling.

If you aren't deep into a need for a cap gun, look at the stinger ch38a. It functions decently and only costs about $70.

It just takes a little getting used. Like it works best holding it so the staples hit the roof flat, etc.

I see you are in FLA, maybe code requires a nailer?

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2015, 06:54 PM   #3

Yeah. Nailed on roof, stapler on walls... Here. I did some research and it was tough finding guns and buttons and nails in this town. I had to make a short hour and a half trip to our nail distributor (who comes each Monday) and picked up the stinger nailer. It was around $300. Now we have a fighting chance for tear off and dry in tomorrow.

It was crazy in town calling everyone 1) yeah we have nails, no gun though. 2) we got this kinda gun, no nails. 3) we have nails, no buttons or gun, can have it here by Monday. Ugh. Sorry I need it SOON. I'll let you know what I think of the stinger after four rolls of Rex Synfelt tomorrow.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
Been around

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 1,386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builders Inc. View Post
Yeah. Nailed on roof, stapler on walls... Here. I did some research and it was tough finding guns and buttons and nails in this town. I had to make a short hour and a half trip to our nail distributor (who comes each Monday) and picked up the stinger nailer. It was around $300. Now we have a fighting chance for tear off and dry in tomorrow.

It was crazy in town calling everyone 1) yeah we have nails, no gun though. 2) we got this kinda gun, no nails. 3) we have nails, no buttons or gun, can have it here by Monday. Ugh. Sorry I need it SOON. I'll let you know what I think of the stinger after four rolls of Rex Synfelt tomorrow.

So if all went according to plan you used the gun....

Satisfied so far?
Old 01-05-2016, 07:58 PM   #5

Hey sorry just stumbled across this again. Yeah the stinger isn't too bad. Holds a smaller amount of nails and buttons but it's pretty light. Still newish. So I can't comment on its longevity. Some how I end up with about two or three nails left in a coil after I shoot a roll of buttons. That's about the only thing I can complain about it. And having my nail guy bring me boxes with buttons and caps in the same box is nice.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:01 PM   #6
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 961

We have a Grip Rite that is similar to the Senco. Works pretty well. We also have the Stinger brand hammer tackers. Nice to not drag the hose around with those.

Advertisement

Easy Gibson