Residential Flat Roof - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Residential Flat Roof

Old 02-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Concrete, masonry & excavation
Rewards Points: 324

Residential Flat Roof

I have a residential flat roof. It is modern style house with a flat roof about 15 sq. and 160lf of parapet. It has the original mod. Roof. I what to do a rip out and reroof with 2" iso and 60. mil pvc. My problem seems to be every roofer gives me different recommendation one wants to use epdm, 2 others tpo and one pvc. The one roofer is a certified JM roofer how is their 60 mil pvc? And what is the best way to cover the parapet with copping or bring up the pvc over the parapet and just and upside down angle flashing. Any help would be appricated.
Attached Thumbnails
Residential Flat roof-roof.jpg  

Last edited by Nac; 02-15-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Constructioneer; LEED AP BD+C
Rewards Points: 1,580

Re: Residential Flat Roof

I'm no roofer but you should really think about adding more than 2" of the ISO, if you don't have the insulation thickness covered from below. Now would be the time to do it.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to rustyjames For This Useful Post:
madrina (04-27-2018)
Old 02-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Roofer

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 77

Coping is definitely a better system will also cost more...White epdm or one of the other 2 would definitely be the route i would go on this...

Old 02-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Roofing/Siding/Seamless
Rewards Points: 272

I am not even going to get into which brand or type of roofing you should use. It is like beating your head against the wall. The thing with a roofer is you can prove to the point of redundancy and still not change his mind.

A few questions; Please answer!

Does the roof leak now?

Is the existing roof still in decent shape or is it curling and losing granules? You may not have to remove the existing. You might be able to fully adhere a fleece back to the existing BUR.

How many layers are on the existing roof?

What is the existing roof deck? Wood, metal, concrete?

If your choose to install a white EPDM your might as well go with PVC. They cost the same and you will have heat welded seams rather than sticky glue.

TPO will be cheapest way to go! I will not elaborate. You get what you pay for!

PVC is top end but only like recommending IB Roof Systems, Fibertite, and Sarnafill. The rest are not proven and none have 30yr results.

As far as the parapet. Easy... Roll your membrane up the parapet, over the top and down the exterior side a minimumm of 2" and install metal top cap.

I am assuming you are wanting to buy over the counter single ply. I don't know how JM PVC performs. Nobody else does either! It hasn't been around for 30 years so only time will tell. I am sure it will do OK?
The Following User Says Thank You to LCG For This Useful Post:
madrina (04-27-2018)
Old 02-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Concrete, masonry & excavation
Rewards Points: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCG View Post
I am not even going to get into which brand or type of roofing you should use. It is like beating your head against the wall. The thing with a roofer is you can prove to the point of redundancy and still not change his mind.

A few questions; Please answer!

Does the roof leak now?
Yes a small leak
Is the existing roof still in decent shape or is it curling and losing granules? You may not have to remove the existing. You might be able to fully adhere a fleece back to the existing BUR.
It is the original roof about 22 years old it is dried out and cracked looking
How many layers are on the existing roof?
The original roof 1 layer
What is the existing roof deck? Wood, metal, concrete?
Wood
If your choose to install a white EPDM your might as well go with PVC. They cost the same and you will have heat welded seams rather than sticky glue.

TPO will be cheapest way to go! I will not elaborate. You get what you pay for!

PVC is top end but only like recommending IB Roof Systems, Fibertite, and Sarnafill. The rest are not proven and none have 30yr results.

As far as the parapet. Easy... Roll your membrane up the parapet, over the top and down the exterior side a minimumm of 2" and install metal top cap.

I am assuming you are wanting to buy over the counter single ply. I don't know how JM PVC performs. Nobody else does either! It hasn't been around for 30 years so only time will tell. I am sure it will do OK?
My estimate for IB(45 mil & 1" iso)is about $5000 more than than JM (60 mil pvc & 2" iso)
Old 02-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac View Post
My estimate for IB(45 mil & 1" iso)is about $5000 more than than JM (60 mil pvc & 2" iso)
I would assume the JM has a wicking scrim and will need to be sealed anywhere the seams are not factory cut. It has a lot to do with the chemical make-up of the actual sheet as well. Most PVC have a lot of plasticizer content and who actually produces the sheet.

I can't imagine the cost should be 5k different especially with a one inch difference in ISO. I have run into some pvc guys that try to under bid me by using EPs and a cheap cover board.

Honestly for 5k I think I would use the IB. I guess the only concern I would have is if the JM guy is certified. IB has such a proven track record and certified installers, it's hard to argue it. I would expect a TPO to be 5K less but a quality PVC costs money.

I guess it come down to the customer and budget.

I think I would skip the tear off and install a 4oz seperator sheet and install a 60mil IB mechanically attached over the existing roof. You could use 1-2" rigid ISO as a seperator sheet installed over the existing roof and spare yourself the expense of tear off. Unless the decking is damaged there is now reason to do a full tear off. It is a huge east of money!

Also. IB doesn't jack your warranty for not tearing off. You can still get the full warranty with an overlay.

Check out our Facebook page. Atlas Wyoming.com Facebook. And we have a picture of a little pizza place we did last December. It was an overlay with a 4oz seperator sheet.

Sorry if this post is a bit garbled but I am typing on my phone and trying hang trim at the same time. I'll try to spend a little more time on this after dinner. I can write you a spec if you want. I will take me like 15 minutes. Then you can see exactly what I'm talking about. Also it will help your contractors bid accordingly rather than the way they wish to do it. There are many different ways to skin this cat. Getting them all on the same page ensures an even playing field!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
Pro

What system did you end up using?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 187

Many municipalities follow the energy code which requires far more than two inches of ISO above the roof deck (the code actually calls for a specific R value not inches)
Old 04-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: GC, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Roofing View Post
Many municipalities follow the energy code which requires far more than two inches of ISO above the roof deck (the code actually calls for a specific R value not inches)
They can't make you add R value to do maintenance replacement... If you were adding an addition then they can make you add R value
Old 04-27-2018, 11:03 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCG View Post

Exactly
Old 04-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #11
Pro

And 4.3 inches of iso
Old 04-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #12
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 1,794

zombies...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (04-28-2018), Bull Trout (04-27-2018), Mr Latone (04-28-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #13
Pro

Rewards Points: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcharles View Post
They can't make you add R value to do maintenance replacement... If you were adding an addition then they can make you add R value
Not sure what you are calling "maintenance replacement"

It is my understanding if it is a overlay the Energy code does not apply - tear off and it does.

Municipalities can make their own rules and exceptions, things certainly can vary place to place.
214-321-9341
Old 04-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcharles View Post
Not sure what you are calling "maintenance replacement"

It is my understanding if it is a overlay the Energy code does not apply - tear off and it does.

Municipalities can make their own rules and exceptions, things certainly can vary place to place.
Correct.
And I don't know what a maintenance replacement is either. I'm pretty sure that is a made up term.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
4.3 in is the thickness of the required r value
Old 04-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #16
Been around

Rewards Points: 1,574

Likely there is insulation in the ceiling joists already, so the roof insulation is supplemental. And OP is mia so who knows.

Advertisement