Possible Atlas Chalet Problem

Old 02-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #1

Trade: handyman
Rewards Points: 75

Possible Atlas Chalet Problem

Hey guys, I'm a handyman/remodeler but (wisely) don't do any roofing, even minor repairs. So basically I'm clueless about roofing issues. I live in north GA and last summer we had a moderate hail storm come through our area. Shortly thereafter, roofers started to pop up in our area like dandelions in my front lawn. One of the pitches (no pun intended) I got from several guys was that even if I don't have much hail damage, I should try to get my HO insurance to buy me a new roof since I have Atlas Chalet shingles, which according to these guys, are starting to fail prematurely. I spoke with my builder, and even though he hasn't had any problems with Atlas Chalet, he said he has been hearing the same thing. Given some of the shady practices going on, including outright fraud like kicking back insurance deductibles to the customer, I'm suspicious about what I'm hearing. Nevertheless, I want to do the safe/smart thing so I don't get burn't down the road with an early roof failure. My house is only 4 years old and I haven't noticed any problems so far, but then again, I did say I was clueless about roofing. Curious to know, have any of you guys had problems with Atlas or heard any stories like this?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Roofer

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Possible Atlas Chalet Problem

There's not a single shingle on the market that has not had issues at times.

Pay the $150.00 too $600.00 bucks and have a legit roofing contractor/home inspector, inspect the roof for you.
Price varies depending on roof style, and area contractors.

During the inspection you will get advice on the stability of the system, but also advice on any area's that may need maintenance/repairs due to installment issues, etc., there fore it's money well spent no matter if you find it's a bad shingle or not.

I have installed thousands of squares of Atlas with minimal problems.

Manufacturers/contractors warranties decrease every single year the roof gets older, so it's best to get the inspection now, even if you don't have any 'known' problems right now.

Most home owners don't know, or simply don't care to,
but having your roof inspected on a regular routine is very important,
even if you do a walk over inspection your self instead of paying a pro.

The Following User Says Thank You to Slyfox For This Useful Post:
ChuckEA (02-10-2009)
Old 07-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #3

Trade: Architect/Designer
Rewards Points: 10
Angry

My situation is EXACTLY like ChuckEA. My home is 4 years old and after the hail storm, I contacted Findlay Roofing and my insurance company and had my roof inspected by both companies. Findlay Roofing said the damage was marginal - some insurance companies will replace the roof, others won't. Allstate said there didn't appear to be enough damage to replace the roof, however, I was told that I had Atlas Chalet shingles and to contact my builder asap because there is a class-action lawsuit on these shingles. Anyone have any more info?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
Roofer

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I have not heard anything nor did I see anything on my google search.
Try yahoo and if you find nothing there than call your State Attorney's Office.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #5

Trade: Roofing, Siding, Gutters, Painting
Rewards Points: 10

Altas pay for all labor and material to replace roof. After three years they only pay for the shingles at a pro rated rate.

File a warranty claim now!

chalet has tremendous blistering problems. I have several customers who are filing waranty claims with Atlas. the premium period for that shingle is 3 years. They
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckEA View Post
Hey guys, I'm a handyman/remodeler but (wisely) don't do any roofing, even minor repairs. So basically I'm clueless about roofing issues. I live in north GA and last summer we had a moderate hail storm come through our area. Shortly thereafter, roofers started to pop up in our area like dandelions in my front lawn. One of the pitches (no pun intended) I got from several guys was that even if I don't have much hail damage, I should try to get my HO insurance to buy me a new roof since I have Atlas Chalet shingles, which according to these guys, are starting to fail prematurely. I spoke with my builder, and even though he hasn't had any problems with Atlas Chalet, he said he has been hearing the same thing. Given some of the shady practices going on, including outright fraud like kicking back insurance deductibles to the customer, I'm suspicious about what I'm hearing. Nevertheless, I want to do the safe/smart thing so I don't get burn't down the road with an early roof failure. My house is only 4 years old and I haven't noticed any problems so far, but then again, I did say I was clueless about roofing. Curious to know, have any of you guys had problems with Atlas or heard any stories like this?