Owens Corning Shingle Recall

Old 06-26-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: roofing

Owens Corning Shingle Recall

Got a letter from OC saying that there are problems with the Duration shingle made at the Summit,IL. plant. This does not apply to me or my area but im on there certified roofer list so I was notified. Buyer beware or call 1-800-766-3464.
"Take due notice thereoff and govern yourself accordingly."

RooferJim

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler

Re: Owens Corning Shingle Recall

I'm not a roofer, but what the hell do you do if you already put the roof on, tear it off? and who pays if you have to tear it off and replace it? Unless Owens Corning is paying for everything I'm guessing no one is going to tear off and install a new one for free.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:48 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor

Re: Owens Corning Shingle Recall

Per an earlier conversation I had with a rep from OC on another roofing related forum, here is his reply.

Ed

Quoted from OCJim;
About the recall:
I did post this info a couple of posts ago.If you were not on the roof hammering and were in front of your computer you would have read it - sorry I could not resist.
THERE SHOULD BE NONE OF THIS MATERIAL OUT THERE FOR YOU TO GET
We have aggressively picked up and swapped out the material.We have also been crystal clear with everybody in the supply chain to not sell it.
To recap:
At our Summit (Chicago) plant we installed a new laminator that saves one step in the production process by not flipping every other shingle to stack them back to back. In this process you wind up stacking them front to back in the bundle.To make this work you put the silicone release tape on the front of the shingle. Several other companys do this with their new machines,also, and we had no problems with the Oakridge shingles we have made with this process.The problem came up with the Duration Shingles because the release tape and the Sure-nail strip lined up.
We quickly got 5 complaints about leaks-all on low-slope (4 or 5/12)-during hard wind driven rain. We brought in the Techies,found the problem, and stopped production.All the areas that were serviced out of the plant are now serviced from another plant which-like all the plants except Summit- have the release tape on the back.We have also taken care of the roofs in question.All of the Duration made by the Summit plant is now on the way back to it. We have provided the admin of this site the press release about this- it goes into further detail and they can post it.
Jim