New Ridge Vent Installed Correctly?

Old 03-21-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: material distribution
Rewards Points: 10

New Ridge Vent Installed Correctly?

Greetings- I went up into the attic space to see what the new ridge vent looked like from the inside. I cannot see any opening or even light coming in up along the ridge. Is this the way it should be ? Should I be able to see the vent itself or at least some light coming in? (Also FWIW, , the new soffit vents are still full of insulation. Also the shingles and opening over the ridge vent outside are very uneven and sloppy.) Comments appreciated. Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,054

Re: New Ridge Vent Installed Correctly?

The manufacturer of each ridge vent product will have their own specifications on how wide the slot along the top of the ridge must be cut, and that varies if their is a ridge beam in place versus truss construction.

Typically, it is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide, measuring horizontally across from one side of the cut to the opposite cut side.

The opening should be 100 % unobstructed, although realistically, a slight jagged cut on the top course of shingle would be likely to occur.

The clogged soffit ventilation completely thwarts any intake funcionability that the intake vents were designed to allow.

You need to know how many square inches of NFVA exhaust per foot that the brand of ridge vent installed provides and the NFVA of the soffit fresh air intake should be at least equal. The product manufacturers literature and/or website should provide you with the correct specifications.

Don't get all hyper if the deviation is just a small amount out of specified parameters.

The ideal scenario is 60 % intake NFA to 40 % exhaust NFA, or at least a 50 % equal split between the two systems.

Some ridge vent products may not seemingly allow light to be visible, while other products may seem as if too much light is coming through. Neither is an indication of the proper functioning of the ventilation product. That is soley determined on the amount of free air space provided for the vent to function at its maximum designed capacity.

Ed

Advertisement

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 03-21-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:07 AM   #3
3rd gen,it's in the blood

Trade: roofing
Rewards Points: 250

I had something to say,but.....

Last edited by roofwiz74; 03-27-2007 at 12:41 AM.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:39 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.
Rewards Points: 1,000

Nobody can answer the ridgevent question without actual eye inspection. But the soffitts vents need to be free from ANY INSULATION OBSTRUCTION. They need to breath. So get the insulation out of the soffit vents.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwerx2 View Post
(Also FWIW, , the new soffit vents are still full of insulation. .
No baffles?
Old 04-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,054

Even if baffles, also known as rafter vents, are installed, the loose accumulation of insulation over the intake vents must be hand removed prior to closing up the area.

Ed
Old 04-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractor's to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Advertisement

I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr