Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Need advice on shingle choice alternative to Elk

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Ed the Roofer 
#1 ·
Hi, folks. I recently got a bid for a new comp shingle roof from a contractor in the Pacific Northwest. He is pushing Elk Prestique, and I have heard a few unfavorable comments on the forum about Elk. I am not as concerned about the aesthetic quality of the shingles as many people are, because you can't see my house from the street, and I am not planning to sell anytime soon. Of course, I want the roof to look good, but I am much more concerned about the durability. The contractor says that most 30-year laminated shingles are the same quality, and he can get Elk at a lower cost.

Also, in order to clean some of my gutters, I have to walk on the roof, so I don't want a shingle that is slippery. If a contractor does not have a relationship with a manufacturer, I assume he has to pay more for the materials? Thanks again for all your great advice.

Regards,
Arn

#2 ·
Nothing wrong with Elk shingles. They are just as good as the others. They are a bit slippery until the first couple rains when the excess rocks fall off. they are really "rocky" and are slippery when you install them, but after that they are fine. Just let it rain on them a few times before you go up there and watch for loose rocks. If you trust your roofer(as you should), use what he recommends.

Some advise for you before the mods tell you that you are on "contractor talk".

#3 ·
Thank for reminding me MJW,

You will get a better response by following this suggestion.

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractor's to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Ed

#6 ·
Arn,

If you decide to go with something else, I'd suggest CertainTeed.
Great warranty, easy to replace, strong support from the company.

Good luck.

#7 ·
The original Home Owner poster has properly remained out of this forum and the further discussions related to his initial post, so there is no need to lock down a furtive trade related discussion.

He is welcome to lurk and review additional comments from professional contractors, who this CT forum is intended for. For further postings and direct answers to his or her questions, I have suggested the DIY site, which is where a HO is supposed to post their questions at.

After all, we are now just having a professional discussion amongs ourselves, aren't we?

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.