Minnesota

Old 03-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #1

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 10

Minnesota

Hello im looking for some help about the minnesota residental roofing test. I have done roofing for 11 years and have always sub for roofers latley with people geting older and health issues I have been forced to obtain my license for roofing in minnesota I have the trades part passed but I fail the buisness and law or managment and law end of it by wo questions and I have searched for a study guide on the computer and found answers to questions that was on the test and articals to help with it but I went back to these pages to study and they were no longer available so my question and the help I need is how do I study for and pass the buisness and law or managment and law end of the test? Thank you

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Rewards Points: 1,682

Re: Minnesota

There are courses to take to prepare for the tests.

You must be licensed and insured to do Roofing in MN. Doesn't matter if you are a sub or the contractor. Every person doing roofing has to be an employee or be individually licensed. For the last 11 years you have not been a legal contractor.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #3

I have had a business entity and insurance for these years and have filed my taxes all the years too and have never had a problem I believe if your working for the general contractor and not pulling the permit or have anything to do with the contract I am legal to roof right along them or have them leave come back when job is done oversee the prodject give me a thumbs up and both be on our way legally?
Old 03-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
Pro

Plumbers, electricians, and roofers must be licensed no matter who you are working for, unless you are an employee of a company who is licensed.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #5

So a home owner can pull their own permit and roof their own house but I can not legally work for a licensed roofer at all even tho he is employing me and sending me a 1099?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagged View Post
So a home owner can pull their own permit and roof their own house but I can not legally work for a licensed roofer at all even tho he is employing me and sending me a 1099?
Right, but being a 1099er is not being an employee. Big difference in being an emploee and a sub. There are also rules on having a sub license.
Look at www.doli.state.mn.us and look up who has to be licensed.

Larger companies get away with this all the time. BTW, shingle warranty with Certainteed does not apply if the sub is not a shinglemaster company.

A homeowner can do many things to their house that we cannot, mainly because we are compensated.

Who's going to enforce this and who has? Pretty much no one, but what leg do you have to stand on if you want to get paid?

Do yourself a favor and get the GC license. With a Roofers license you are very limited, even on some simple roofs (sheathing, cutting vents, etc) and you may want to expand. Doing residential roofing in MN is rather simple work, for lack of a better term. Everyone is doing it and everyone can do it with a ladder, a compressor, and a gun. JMO
Old 03-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
Pro

Here is a link to who needs a license.

http://www.dli.mn.gov/CCLD/RBCWho.asp

This is unless you do the ICEC thing and do the LLC thing. Kinda pointless though if you ask me. Would also recommend taking the lead course and getting certified. I read that Dayton signed it into law and the building officials are now enforcing it.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
Sluggin away

Trade: Dihydrogen monoxide remediation/GC/REO/Insurance
Rewards Points: 516

MJW,
Is it also true that there is an endorsement for "Flat Roofs" that is up and beyond the normal roofing license? We employ subs in MN and require ALL to hold their license but we were told recently that you have to have this endorsement for the flat work.... Personally none of us do flat roofs but would not want to hire anyone unlicensed.
Also the insurance is mandatory for the 10 year State Warranty thing...Is that correct?
Thanks
Old 03-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontREO View Post
MJW,
Is it also true that there is an endorsement for "Flat Roofs" that is up and beyond the normal roofing license? We employ subs in MN and require ALL to hold their license but we were told recently that you have to have this endorsement for the flat work.... Personally none of us do flat roofs but would not want to hire anyone unlicensed.
Also the insurance is mandatory for the 10 year State Warranty thing...Is that correct?
Thanks
Not sure about the flat roofing. Don't do any of it myself.

You don't employ subs. Subs are not employees.

Not sure what you are referring to with the 10 year state warranty.

Tags
license test content, licensing, minnesota, test prep