Malarkey Shingles

Old 08-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,536

Malarkey Shingles

How many of you guys have actual experience with these shingles?

They just came into my area and are only sold by my supplier. I sold a job today with quoting these types of shingles. I have not heard any truly negative things about these shingles so I feel confident selling it and I also ordered it for the roof on my house which I am about to do.

Are they easy to cut, run straight, etc...?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 154

Re: Malarkey Shingles

The Malarkey 50-year "Legacy" shingles are the best shingles on the market, in my opinion. Their a Class 4 impact resistant shingle that stands up very well in hail storms. The Legacy will show no hail damage whereas all the neighboring roofs will be totaled out in hail storms. They are great to work with...easy to cut, have a wide nailing area, no metal filings or sand fillers or piles of loose granuals in every bundle. The sealant was a problem years ago, but they seemed to improve that. Only negative...not the best looking shingle and some consider they colors selection rather bland.
Malarkey also has a 30-year "Highlander" shingle. These, on the other hand, are nothing special. I think GAF, Certainteed, Tamko, and OCs are all better than the Highlanders. Id rank them just above IKO and Pabcos which isn't saying much.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #3

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 10

I know I have a dog in this race, as I'm a factory rep for the company and a family member, but I can point out a couple major benefits of Malarkey's 30 year shingle vs. the other ones mentioned. Not only did I work in our lab and on the production line, I am currently selling the product in Southern California, so I feel I'm qualified to make this statement.

Malarkey's 30 yr shingle is a top eschalon product, it carries all of the major industry colors, as do most manufacturers. The major defining benefits of the product are that one you have 1-5/8" nailing area for which is a patented double overlayment of material that is tapered (no one else can copy it, even though they put a larger paint line on the product). Not only does it have the larger nailing line, but it has two rain seals instead of one. The products weight is at the peak of the industry at 240lbs every 100 square feet, only 5 pounds lighter than Certainteed, other manufactures run as low as 220 lbs. The Malarkey shingle is also cut at 40" inches which gives you more coverage, most manufacturers only run 39-3/8" shingles for which gives you half a square less material over a 20 square job and as well is stated on some manufactures packaging (some state 96.7 squares in a package). The product is also backed by a Your Choice Warranty Program, which allows you to match the product to any warranty in the industry, so GAF's lifetime warranty will be matched.

Last but not least we are a family owned business and we take care of our customers, if you have a problem there isn't a huge list of people to go through to get a warranty concern handled. You just call your factory sales rep, he puts in the warranty claim with the claims department, it gets approved and your back on to business.

If you have any further questions you can ask them here and or call me

562-416-5511

Thank you,

James Malarkey

Malarkey Roofing Products

www.malarkeyroofingproducts.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232323 View Post
The Malarkey 50-year "Legacy" shingles are the best shingles on the market, in my opinion. Their a Class 4 impact resistant shingle that stands up very well in hail storms. The Legacy will show no hail damage whereas all the neighboring roofs will be totaled out in hail storms. They are great to work with...easy to cut, have a wide nailing area, no metal filings or sand fillers or piles of loose granuals in every bundle. The sealant was a problem years ago, but they seemed to improve that. Only negative...not the best looking shingle and some consider they colors selection rather bland.
Malarkey also has a 30-year "Highlander" shingle. These, on the other hand, are nothing special. I think GAF, Certainteed, Tamko, and OCs are all better than the Highlanders. Id rank them just above IKO and Pabcos which isn't saying much.

Last edited by Irishman; 08-28-2011 at 06:56 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irishman For This Useful Post:
CENTERLINE MV (01-27-2014), Mr Latone (01-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
Pro

James, I just started pushing your product in my area. I've heard good things so I am looking forward to getting them sold and installed.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 2,320

I don't think we can get them in my area. I would be interested in using something better then the GAFS.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #6

That's great to hear, are you out towards the Midwest? We just opened a new plant in Oklahoma City, and we have just begun to introduce the product out there. Let me know what State your in and I'll try to get you set up with a sales rep. (trust me it's worth your while), lots of benefits to being friends with the Malarkey salesrep .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 View Post
James, I just started pushing your product in my area. I've heard good things so I am looking forward to getting them sold and installed.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #7

I take it your in Ohio: Contact Robert Helder 616-405-1211 He's our Ohio Rep and he works with Mr. Roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohomedoctor View Post
I don't think we can get them in my area. I would be interested in using something better then the GAFS.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman
That's great to hear, are you out towards the Midwest? We just opened a new plant in Oklahoma City, and we have just begun to introduce the product out there. Let me know what State your in and I'll try to get you set up with a sales rep. (trust me it's worth your while), lots of benefits to being friends with the Malarkey salesrep .
I am in WI.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Rewards Points: 1,570

Quote:
What are you getting quoted for prices? I was quoted around $130/square for the Legacy's.

For the most part, the hail resistance of class 4 is very good (4 out of 5), but only gives a small 5% discount of savings in premiums to the HO. Anyone hear any different?
Old 08-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
Pro

Same as you on the legacy. $88.98 on the highlander.
The Following User Says Thank You to BamBamm5144 For This Useful Post:
MJW (08-28-2011)
Old 08-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #11

Contact Katie Ciani, 605-321-7318 she is awesome to deal with and will put you in the right place to get the best price. Also hit her up for a trip to Oregon to tour the plant in Portland

Quote:
I am in WI.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:36 PM   #12

I've been a Roofing Contractor in the Vancouver area Installing shingles since 1986. My Father before me since 1946.

When I meet a customer the first time, there is 3 things I always say. If your looking for the Longest Lasting shingle, my money is on Malarkey Legacy (I've installed many). If your looking for the best Value, $ per Year, its Malarkey XL. XL shinges design, content, and costs I feel make it the longest lasting mid range shingle. Malarkey Highlander, with its design, make it in my opinion, the longest lasting, low cost shingle out there.

Thanks James for your work on this product, from my Customers.
I encourage anyone to seriously consider these products.

Please feel free to have a stop by http://www.jorgensenroofing.ca/

Reece Jorgensen
Jorgensen Roofing
Old 09-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #13
Pro

Installed the highlander today and it is a great shingle. Easy to work with, lays nice, cuts straight.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
New Guy

You should also check out the Atlas Stormmaster Series shingles with Scotchgard Protector. They are also Class 4 hail resistant SBS shingles too. We have had multiple hail storms in MI, Crazy I know but we are kicking butt and selling like crazy in this wild market with them. Great product to lay and super easy to sell !
Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfgmaster View Post
You should also check out the Atlas Stormmaster Series shingles with Scotchgard Protector. They are also Class 4 hail resistant SBS shingles too. We have had multiple hail storms in MI, Crazy I know but we are kicking butt and selling like crazy in this wild market with them. Great product to lay and super easy to sell !
Wow, first two posts and both nearly identical pimping Atlas SBS class 4 shingles. One would think you might work for Atlas.

Why not go to the introduction section of the forum and post an introduction of yourself and your business.....
The Following User Says Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
MJW (09-02-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #16
New Guy

Pimp'n ain't easy, lol. I hear the same song and dance from my own sales guys! Can't complain when they make $$$
Old 09-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #17
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

I want roofing felt that smells like Febreze when it's wet.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmiller For This Useful Post:
JWilliams (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Property Preservation & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller
I want roofing felt that smells like Febreze when it's wet.
Fruit roll up smell would be better yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to mbobbish734 For This Useful Post:
JWilliams (09-06-2011)
Old 07-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #19

Trade: roofing

Having been a contractor in Billings Mt for many years I switched to Malarkey shingles permanently in 2003. In my younger days I have roofed in states all over the country and have used darn near every shingle on the market. In 2010 we had a bad tornado and hailstorm in billings. A home that I roofed in 08 was right in the destruction area for the tornado. The home had the highlander shingles on it. Pieces of the Metra park arena were on the roof and in his yard. No shingles were missing, damaged or even blown up with broken seals. However every other house in the neighborhood was having a roof replaced. Granted, my nail placement is perfect. 6 nails, double vertical nails on rake edges and 4 nail the caps laterally.
Second, I spent this entire winter in Minot ND. Installing shingles on new homes from the flood. Even in below zero temps, same installation method. I had zero blow off. And Minot gets wind. It never stops. You think you know something about wind until you go there. Tamkos gaf OC all were blowing off. I personally witnessed highlanders starting to tack up and seal with good sunlight in as cold as 20 degrees c. Say what you want. But malarkey doesn't have to give me kickbacks to sell their shingles.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,874

Although I have not used them yet , because mainly do steel roofs, I did look them over and was inpressed with them. The nice wide nailing strip was a big plus to me. We are going to start using them on the next HFH houses.