Making Bucks In The Rainy Season

Old 09-29-2009, 12:17 AM   #1
westcoastflipp

Trade: Home Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Making Bucks In The Rainy Season

Itís almost winter in Southern California, and believe or not you can make big bucks fixing leaky roofs anywhere in the U.S.A where it rains alot All you need are some basic tools, a ladder, and a truck. Most of the time when you arrive at the customers house, They take you inside and show you where it damaged the drywall. If you can get into the attic without to much of a hassel you can usually spot water marks on the plywood, and figure from there where the waters getting in at. But if the attic is off limits or you canít get in there, itís usually pretty obvious where itís leaking. Get up on the roof in the general area of the leak, look for nails popping through, look at the walls, and the pipes. Make sure theyíre sealed properly. If itís a tile roof remove or pry up the tiles in the leaky area, being careful not to break to many. You can usually find replacement tiles at your local roofing yard. Tear open the paper and search for water marks on the wood, once you spot the water marks follow it up the roof until you find where the leak is. ( sometimes, all I have to do is take up a few tiles and I find the leak, other times Iíve had to remove several dozen tiles chasing the leak up the roof) Once youíve found the leak, Re-paper the area with new felt paper and seal around your patch. Job Done. I usually charge about $300-$400 for a 2-3 hour leak repair. I can do 2, sometimes 3 a day. Good Honest Money!
Sometimes Its as easy as replacing a few shingles to fix the problem Check out this video on easy shingle replacement

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
Official CT Greeter!

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Making Bucks In The Rainy Season

How about you post an introduction.

Also, how about hitting the enter button once or twice during your pointless rambling.

In the words of warner, my eyes are bleeding from that....

Advertisement

I do it for the love of God, Country, The Corps, Apple Pie, & Poontang!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CScalf For This Useful Post:
DavidC (09-29-2009), shanekw1 (09-29-2009), WarnerConstInc. (09-29-2009)
Old 09-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Roofer

Trade: Residential Contractor

what-a-ka-winky-dink, it's almost winter here in Ohio also.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slyfox For This Useful Post:
nEighter (09-29-2009)

Old 09-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Commercial Roofing

Trade: Roofing Contractor

What a spammer... and it sounds like that guy from the weather channel that showed improper roof repairs between segments.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Pro

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastflipp View Post
It’s almost winter in Southern California, and believe or not you can make big bucks fixing leaky roofs anywhere in the U.S.A where it rains alot All you need are some basic tools, a ladder, and a truck. Most of the time when you arrive at the customers house, They take you inside and show you where it damaged the drywall. If you can get into the attic without to much of a hassel you can usually spot water marks on the plywood, and figure from there where the waters getting in at. But if the attic is off limits or you can’t get in there, it’s usually pretty obvious where it’s leaking. Get up on the roof in the general area of the leak, look for nails popping through, look at the walls, and the pipes. Make sure they’re sealed properly. If it’s a tile roof remove or pry up the tiles in the leaky area, being careful not to break to many. You can usually find replacement tiles at your local roofing yard. Tear open the paper and search for water marks on the wood, once you spot the water marks follow it up the roof until you find where the leak is. ( sometimes, all I have to do is take up a few tiles and I find the leak, other times I’ve had to remove several dozen tiles chasing the leak up the roof) Once you’ve found the leak, Re-paper the area with new felt paper and seal around your patch. Job Done. I usually charge about $300-$400 for a 2-3 hour leak repair. I can do 2, sometimes 3 a day. Good Honest Money!
Sometimes Its as easy as replacing a few shingles to fix the problem Check out this video on easy shingle replacement

Typical Craiglist's handymen type of work. No warranty, no contract, no license, no call-back,... no nothing... just "patch&run"??
Old 09-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Residential remodel
Rewards Points: 168

I think you might be telling the wrong guys how to do roof repairs.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjconstructs For This Useful Post:
TimelessQuality (09-29-2009)
Old 10-02-2009, 04:55 AM   #7
westcoastflipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CScalf View Post

Also, how about hitting the enter button once or twice during your pointless rambling.

Yeah, well I'm new to this. Why don't you pointlessly ramble on over to another post, or better yet, just don't read mine if it makes your eyes hurt, hahahaha
Old 10-02-2009, 04:57 AM   #8
westcoastflipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB. View Post
What a spammer... and it sounds like that guy from the weather channel that showed improper roof repairs between segments.
No, I'm not a spammer, just didn't really know how to start off.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:16 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CScalf View Post

And you just continue on. Try an introduction, list what you do besides flip houses. Some of the guys on here were probably roofing before you were born.

I myself am not interested in those quick patch and outta here jobs. I am looking for customers that will give me inside work during the rainy season and let me do their roof when the weather is good.

Advertisement

When you rob Peter to pay Paul, chances are pretty good you will receive Paul's vote. Apparently the object of the game is to create more Pauls than Peters....What happens when the Peters can no longer support the Pauls? .