Leaky Roof Help

Old 02-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #1

Trade: Carpentry

Leaky Roof Help

Wife and I recently bought our first home. Had record rain in Missippi this summer and roof started leaking, water running down drywall along whole length of ridge beam. House was built in 69, stripped to studs after Katrina as well as addition put on in 2005, roof is 13 years old. No leaks in addition only in original house. Iím a finish carpenter and framer but I am not a pro roofer. House seemed fine and passed inspection 6mo ago at purchase. Have sealed every potentially bad spot Iíve found on roof, which is squishy and has visible sag between rafters in spots. Guy who did original inspection on the house was over this afternoon (I was at work), said roof is fine and water is being caused by condensation from AC which vents toward ceiling. Trying to figure out whatís going on here so I can decide best plan and how to fix. Please see pics, they are house, ridge where leak is happening (whole length, you can see the drywall starting to separate), ac vents and roof. Any advice is much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Leaky roof help-20846fa1-df5b-41a1-aa40-5a1ad929d0f4_1518818755843.jpeg   Leaky roof help-7f91761b-b8e1-46a5-9507-e014a8aeacac_1518818796653.jpeg  
Attached Images

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 3,298

Re: Leaky Roof Help

That would be a lot of condensation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,696

No ventilation??

Old 02-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #4
New Guy

Trade: sewer repair and replacement
Rewards Points: 52

For condensation to degrade your decking you would have to have no ventilation in the attic. I can't tell from your photo if you have ridge vents or not. If you do not then that might be your problem. One thing would be certain...your attic will be filled with mold.

Tracy
Aces Four
Old 02-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #5

Yeah, no vents! Ridge of soffit. Was planning on adding this spring, could that lead to enough moisture build for that kind of water that quickly?
Old 02-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #6

Noticed the lack of ventilation but house passed mold inspection 7 months ago and had no visible water damage. Roof has been on for 13 years, figured okay Iíll add when I have time and the weather is good. It was extremely rainy this summer though maybe problem was existing and just got bad fast.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #7

Trade: General contractor

First thing I would do is go in the attic and try to follow the water trail. If the water is coming from the roof you should be able to follow the dried up trail of water which will be a slightly lighter color.
If you find no problem with the roof. Then your next option is check your a/c.
It is not condensation build up. I doubt that. The a/c has a condensation drain line. Which if it's clogged the water will spill over on to your insulation and drywall. If you have not had your a/c serviced then algae builds up in the condensation pan and cause it to get clogged. Nine times out TEN this is your problem if the roof is fine. Easy way to check go outside look for the drain pipe sticking out see if it's draining water while the unit is on. The amount of water will be more if rains more humidity is in the air so it will leak like crazy.
Oh investigate where the water is coming from with a flash light. Trust me I always find roof leaks like this. No special tools needed.
If you don't understand a/c ' s call a service company and ask for yearly maintenance. Cost will be anywhere from 65 to 400 for a a/c tech to check your system. When they get there ask them to blow out the drain line.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:03 AM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 406

I would like more information as to what I'm looking at. In the first picture, i can see the drywall sagging, but where is the location. You said it was at the ridge. Do you have a cathedral or vaulted ceiling? It looks that way. My first guess is a vaulted ceiling.

You said you have had a very rainy year and had water running down the drywall, the whole length of the ridge beam. Is that the ridge beam in the top picture?

This will sound stupid, but did the leak occur only when it was raining? Did it leak when it wasn't raining?

My first impression is that you have a cathedral or vaulted ceiling with no ventilation. As you said, there isn't any ventilation. I would suspect the humidity rises up to the highest point then starts to condensate.
Is there any insulation in that part of the house? Again, not asking dumb questions. There may not be any. Cold on the inside, hot on the outside, condensation builds up in the dead air space.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,468

I don't have anything to add regarding the water issue, but I dig the house based on those couple photos 👍

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #10

Trade: General contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willoughby4 View Post
Wife and I recently bought our first home. Had record rain in Missippi this summer and roof started leaking, water running down drywall along whole length of ridge beam. House was built in 69, stripped to studs after Katrina as well as addition put on in 2005, roof is 13 years old. No leaks in addition only in original house. Iím a finish carpenter and framer but I am not a pro roofer. House seemed fine and passed inspection 6mo ago at purchase. Have sealed every potentially bad spot Iíve found on roof, which is squishy and has visible sag between rafters in spots. Guy who did original inspection on the house was over this afternoon (I was at work), said roof is fine and water is being caused by condensation from AC which vents toward ceiling. Trying to figure out whatís going on here so I can decide best plan and how to fix. Please see pics, they are house, ridge where leak is happening (whole length, you can see the drywall starting to separate), ac vents and roof. Any advice is much appreciated!

The pictures are not good enough to help you. Do you have a attic at all
Old 02-18-2018, 09:37 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,696

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblakes1 View Post
I don't have anything to add regarding the water issue, but I dig the house based on those couple photos 👍

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Yeah, that backyard shot with all the glazing the deck looks cool.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:56 PM   #12

Trade: Ins Repair
Rewards Points: 18

Remember wet air is lighter than dry air and from the pitch of your roof compared to the interior pic it appears a vaulted ceiling with very little ventilation from soffits with “no where to discharge’ without a ridge vent. I would call a home inspector or a water mitigation contractor that has the capabilities to use an Infrared camera to check where the higher concentrations of moisture are located and/or air loss due to insulation or venting. I just had a house with similar problems and we discovered the insulation between the rafters had somehow “slid down” blocking air flow from soffits
Old 03-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 972

damn son, you need a new roof! those shingles are BEAT! water is coming in from the sidewall probably. looks like there's some missing flashing or improperly installed flashing.

Aside from that almost all your granules are missing and the shingles are cracked everywhere.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #14
Pro

water is coming in one of these 3 places.
Attached Thumbnails
Leaky roof help-1-copy.jpg  
Old 03-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #15
Pro

I suspect the big arrow is where the leak is if the ridge u are referring to is the bottom not the top part of the roof.

You don't need to ventilate that roof if theres no attic space. Theres no hvac system up there to leak on anything either. Im sure that the leak is coming from the sidewall flashing. It prob pulled away from the wall and water is going behind the trim or over and under the trim and dripping down in the space where it pulled away. Can we get a closer view ?

Maybe pull that trim off and lets see whats behind there.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #16
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Rewards Points: 11,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willoughby4 View Post
Yeah, no vents! Ridge of soffit. Was planning on adding this spring, could that lead to enough moisture build for that kind of water that quickly?
Absolutely

Advertisement