Labor Warranty?

Old 09-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: a little bit of everything, roofing, windows, doors, kitchen & bath remodels
Rewards Points: 180

Labor Warranty?

What do some of you other roofers offer the customer for a warranty on labor when doing shingling? Give some examples of length of time and coverage if you will.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 125

Re: Labor Warranty?

Typically 5 years but we have done 10 years. Our installation warranty covers leaks and any workmanship related issues.

I just went to a comp job we did 12 years ago, one of the plywood corners in the middle of the field poped loose ( poor nailing ) and created a bump in the roof. Even though they were way out of warrunty, i fixed it. The home was up for sale and the buyers inspector caught it, HO called us to look at it. Oddly, the plywood was stapled and we dont use staples...i cant explain the staples.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Roofer, Domains and Hosting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Anything from a taillight warranty, to 10 years here. It just depends.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Residential roofing contractor
Rewards Points: 152

Usually 10 years. However, we do ask the customer to make us their first call if there is ever a problem during the life of the roof.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Public Insurance Adjuster
Rewards Points: 500

When I first started roofing houses in high school, a standard workmanship warranty was 1 year......maybe 2. This trend held for quite some time until, it seems just the past several years. The 2 year jumped to 5 years as a standard and now people are offering 10 year warranties. I have even seen people offering a warranty for the life of the shingle. First let me state that I get it. I'm not pre-slamming anyone's workmanship or whether it 'should' last if done right, etc, etc. From a business standpoint, it's all fluff. No good businessman on this site can honestly say it's good business to keep bumping the warranty period up. Roofs need maintenance just like a car does in order to last their intended useful life. Try to get a customer to pay for any routine maintenance while something is under warranty......even if clearly defined in the terms. Do you really feel a bead of silicone around a storm collar is going to last ten years every time?.......let alone 20 or 30 years. If we were all truthful about this, we would admit that roof warranties have become more about 'good feelings' and sales gimmicks than honest workmanship warranties that rarely go over 2 years on any other trade. I am not speaking of Mfg NDL's or the sort. Just plain jane contractors warranties. From a marketing standpoint, it is smart. It keeps the customer within arms reach and repeat business is more apt to come your way. It also usually makes you first on the list in the case of an insured loss as most HO's will have you come out and look since it's under warranty. If we keep this up, we will be offering warranties on our roofs that are good throughout the life of the HO's first born child.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
APPLIED RIGHT

Trade: roofing
Rewards Points: 250

We give a 5yr.Any problems after that typically wouldn't have to do with installation.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: a little bit of everything, roofing, windows, doors, kitchen & bath remodels
Rewards Points: 180

Thanks guys, I just wanted toi make sure I was in the ball park with my warranty.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Holier Than Thou GC Storm Chaser
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildpinnacle View Post
When I first started roofing houses in high school, a standard workmanship warranty was 1 year......maybe 2. This trend held for quite some time until, it seems just the past several years. The 2 year jumped to 5 years as a standard and now people are offering 10 year warranties. I have even seen people offering a warranty for the life of the shingle. First let me state that I get it. I'm not pre-slamming anyone's workmanship or whether it 'should' last if done right, etc, etc. From a business standpoint, it's all fluff. No good businessman on this site can honestly say it's good business to keep bumping the warranty period up. Roofs need maintenance just like a car does in order to last their intended useful life. Try to get a customer to pay for any routine maintenance while something is under warranty......even if clearly defined in the terms. Do you really feel a bead of silicone around a storm collar is going to last ten years every time?.......let alone 20 or 30 years. If we were all truthful about this, we would admit that roof warranties have become more about 'good feelings' and sales gimmicks than honest workmanship warranties that rarely go over 2 years on any other trade. I am not speaking of Mfg NDL's or the sort. Just plain jane contractors warranties. From a marketing standpoint, it is smart. It keeps the customer within arms reach and repeat business is more apt to come your way. It also usually makes you first on the list in the case of an insured loss as most HO's will have you come out and look since it's under warranty. If we keep this up, we will be offering warranties on our roofs that are good throughout the life of the HO's first born child.
Ditto.

We offer 10% of the manufacturers product.