Ice Water Shield On Low Slope Roofs

Old 11-09-2007, 09:34 PM   #1

Trade: Home Builder
Rewards Points: 10

Ice Water Shield On Low Slope Roofs

I am getting ready to cover a low slope roof with a 1.5 /12 slope with asphalt shingles. Does anyone have any experience with the use of an ice/water shield (such as a Grace Product) for this application. I would be interested to see if anyone who used this product for my type of application has any positive or negative comments. Also, does anyone know the longevity of this product.

Thanks, Bobby

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,010

Re: Ice Water Shield On Low Slope Roofs

Yes, it can be done and the Grace Ice and Water Shield would be the preferable product to use.

The shingle will deteriorate significanty quicker on an extemely shallow slope like that though.

Why don't you consider a modified bitumen APP or SBS roofing system instead?

Also, there are several brands of peal and stick membrane which are intended to be exposed to the UV rays. I believe the one that is most often recommended, is made by GAF. I have not used it, since I would prefer a more durable roof membrane for those applications.

2,000!

Yipee!

Ed

Old 11-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

I should leave this to the roofers but in every application this product is stellular. I watched it go through 2 hurricanes (Franscis and Jeanne) naked. It's currently under my metal roof.

Albert Einstein
Old 11-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetorbilt View Post

(a little editing required to get to the bottom of this)
Ed

I watched Franscis and Jeanne naked currently under my metal roof.
Okay Mr. Teetor? Multiple choice question for you:

A. Where Franscis and Jeanne naked?

Or

B. Where you naked when watching them?

Or

C. Did you mean the Ice and water shield applied under the metal roof currently, which at that time of those two storms was left naked without the metal roof covering it?

Ed
Old 11-09-2007, 11:56 PM   #5
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

I vote for A !
I shudder at B
Old 11-10-2007, 12:19 AM   #6
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via ICQ to A W Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Yes, it can be done and the Grace Ice and Water Shield would be the preferable product to use.

The shingle will deteriorate significanty quicker on an extemely shallow slope like that though.

Why don't you consider a modified bitumen APP or SBS roofing system instead?

Also, there are several brands of peal and stick membrane which are intended to be exposed to the UV rays. I believe the one that is most often recommended, is made by GAF. I have not used it, since I would prefer a more durable roof membrane for those applications.

2,000!

Yipee!

Ed
I used that GAF liberty peel and stick granular surfaced roofing once and I will never touch that **** again. Every roll was stretched at the edges during the manufacturing process or perhaps the pallets were stacked too high at the yard. The roof came out terrible as you can imagine. rippled edges like some weekend warrior had done it. It was a flat portion of a two story mansard roof on a commercial building I did. I should have stayed with torch but at the time i didn't have a large enough fire extinguisher for the fire permit I needed so i figured I would try this new stuff. Never again. Add to that the supplier wouldn't boom it for me because it was less than 10 square even though i had 8 sq of base and 8 of cap sheet. So carry it up the side of the mansard I did.

As far as grace ice and water I did use it under shingles on the low pitch patio roofs of a retirement community re-roof project i did 10 years ago (1 1/2 on 12 pitch). it was about 36 bucks for a one square roll back then. Looked just like vycor without the printing. The patios were tear offs, had good results. there were about 40 patio roofs but had two minor leaks during an ice storm due to insufficient roofing cement under vent stack flashing that went through the patio roofs were they tied into a kitchen sink vent stack. Ive been using gaf ice and water shield since because of the larger rolls.

Last edited by A W Smith; 11-10-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:23 AM   #7
Pro

The Grace I & W I get comes in either 75 ft x 3 ft or in 67.7 ft x 3 ft rolls which is either 2 sq or 2 1/4 sq each.

How do the shingles look after this much time on such a low slope?

Pretty curled or buckled I would imagine, enen though probably still water-tight.

Ed
Old 11-10-2007, 12:33 AM   #8
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
The Grace I & W I get comes in either 75 ft x 3 ft or in 67.7 ft x 3 ft rolls which is either 2 sq or 2 1/4 sq each.

How do the shingles look after this much time on such a low slope?

Pretty curled or buckled I would imagine, enen though probably still water-tight.

Ed

Last i saw two years ago the shingles looked perfectly fine. at the time i used Owens corning 25 year 3 tab when they had the continuous line of self seal adhesive. The original patio roofs were shingle with just felt under them. and very few ever leaked even though over 25 years since original construction the tabs were starting to break off, I think they were organics. These patio rooms were basically 12 X 14 unheated sun rooms surrounded by sliding glass doors. half of these people are show-birds and flee to Florida in the winter. the grace came in pretty small boxes I am pretty sure from memory I was using two boxes per patio, I remember going to the GAF because of the extra half square for almost the same price.

Last edited by A W Smith; 11-10-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: roofing
Rewards Points: 500

you should not shingle anything lower than a 2/12 pitch. against code.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooferJim View Post
you should not shingle anything lower than a 2/12 pitch. against code.
If you've got an inspector inspecting your work you will need a flat roofing product.

Laminates are a bad idea on low pitched roofs. Three tabs give the water grooves to run in.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #11
Al Smith

All those roofs I did in the retirement community passed inspection. The patio rooms might have been a bit steeper now that I'm thinking the rake went up the slope about 30 or 36 inches onto a 4/12, Was a long time ago and I have not been in that gated community in 2 or 3 years. If it was 2/12 it was just barely.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:04 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 150

At Grace we go by the roof covering manufacturer's recommendations as to lowest slope. I have seen many 1:12 work fine w/GIWS as a waterproof barrier. As posters mentioned, shingle life expectancy is reducecd at these slopes.
Jim
Old 11-11-2007, 07:39 AM   #13
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorgan View Post
At Grace Jim
Jim--
It would be nice if you would clarify your trade in the signature.
No shame.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: roofing
Rewards Points: 500

You should not only check your code but also the shingle manufactures specs for min roof slope "most say 2/12". from a 2 to a 4pitch full I&W is a good idea.
under 2/12 it should be considerd a flat roof. Ice and water shield is great stuff but its not magic.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #15
Serrano

Trade: Roofing contractor
Rewards Points: 10

The real concern is how long for the nails to rust until the diameter of the the shank has been reduced enough to allow water penetration.I have replaced to many porch roofs to count that were under 4/12 with all I&W and the shingles were fine but the nails had rotted.