How Many Guys Needed For A Gutter Crew

Old 10-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #1

Trade: General contractor

How Many Guys Needed For A Gutter Crew

Just wondering if there's any suggestions as to what the perfect size gutter Crew is. I've got three total, myself included, but wondering if it's worth it to add a fourth. Right now we're doing 400-600 feet a day. Prob closer to 400. The two guys I have are inexperienced. With 3, I need to do 600 ft a day consistently to make good money.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 3,376

Re: How Many Guys Needed For A Gutter Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickwilly View Post
Just wondering if there's any suggestions as to what the perfect size gutter Crew is. I've got three total, myself included, but wondering if it's worth it to add a fourth. Right now we're doing 400-600 feet a day. Prob closer to 400. The two guys I have are inexperienced. With 3, I need to do 600 ft a day consistently to make good money.

That 4-600 include spout ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,319

Two experienced guys is plenty, the third guy, a helper, will spend a lot of time watching and cleaning. Make the third guy (helper) apprentice under the fastest experienced employee, train the other experienced employee to run estimates and minor repairs. Otherwise 3-4 guys on one gutter job gets old FAST!

Old 10-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
water re-locater

Some days two some days three guys including me similar to you. When I want to squeeze in multiple jobs or if it's a huge house and I want to get it done quick I'll help out. Tomorrow's job would be most of day with two guys. I'll help and we'll do a second job nearby after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #5

Yes. 400-600 including spouts.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #6
Construction Connoissuer

Trade: Construction Remodeling - Renovations Repairs
Rewards Points: 1,320

Just 1 - if your name is Randy,

-

Want to contact us? - Call ~ 765.279.8271
The Following User Says Thank You to CCCo. For This Useful Post:
NYgutterguy (10-11-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
Gutter Hanger

Trade: Seamless gutters
Rewards Points: 589

Of course I'm just a small guy with a retirement business and a couple of part timers who have been with me since the beginning. Laugh if you want, but I've done a lot of solo jobs using these little devices. That much more money goes in my pocket when I'm not paying help.
Nice to use on any sized run. Throw the gutters up & in. Step back and make sure your downspout hole is where you want it. Start pitching and running in hanger screws.
Often, once the first piece is up the boys will continue onto the rest of the job while I follow and do downspouts. I bend all of my own elbows because nobody else wants to learn how to use the elbow machine. Takes a little more time, but eliminates a lot of downspout seams and looks so much better.
Attached Thumbnails
How many guys needed for a gutter crew-imageurl_1267565853_5732.jpg  

Last edited by CrescentGutter; 10-13-2017 at 01:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrescentGutter For This Useful Post:
NYgutterguy (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 01:45 PM   #8
water re-locater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentGutter View Post
Of course I'm just a small guy with a retirement business and a couple of part timers who have been with me since the beginning. Laugh if you want, but I've done a lot of solo jobs using these little devices. That much more money goes in my pocket when I'm not paying help.
Nice to use on any sized run. Throw the gutters up & in. Step back and make sure your downspout hole is where you want it. Start pitching and running in hanger screws.
Often, once the first piece is up the boys will continue onto the rest of the job while I follow and do downspouts. I bend all of my own elbows because nobody else wants to learn how to use the elbow machine. Takes a little more time, but eliminates a lot of downspout seams and looks so much better.
Id take your set up most days. Sometimes having two full time salaried guys causes too much stress for me to always have a busy schedule. Other days its nice to be able to send them out and know they'll do a great job while i do estimates. Its a living lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 08:00 AM   #9

Do you screw that little device to the fascia then?
Old 10-14-2017, 08:45 AM   #10
Gutter Hanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickwilly View Post
Do you screw that little device to the fascia then?
They get nailed to the fascia with a roofing nail. The "wheel" part (for lack of a better term) can be turned and loosened to raise & lower as needed for height adjustment.
When you're installing and you get one or two hangers away from it, loosen and lower the wheel. Whack the bottom of it with a hammer and it will pop out - similar to a roof jack.
If you run a hanger screw in too close to it, it gets pinned between the gutter and fascia. Makes it a real bear to get out.
If you ever decide to buy any, shop around. One place has them for $33. Another place has the exact same thing for $56. It's called Gutter Mate.
I cut up an old garden hose, heated the pieces to make them pliable and slid them over the spokes to prevent scratching the face of the gutter.

Last edited by CrescentGutter; 10-14-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #11
Gutter Hanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
Id take your set up most days. Sometimes having two full time salaried guys causes too much stress for me to always have a busy schedule. Other days its nice to be able to send them out and know they'll do a great job while i do estimates. Its a living lol.
Yeah, it's really turned out to be a good gig for me. Even though there are several more people in the area doing gutters since I started almost 10 years ago, I have all the work that I need. Usually a little more than I need. Selling 6 inch only seems to be a plus.
I retired from my "real" job 5 years ago at age 49. So I've got my pension, the business and another part time job driving truck for a USPS contractor. I'm as busy or busier than I want to be. It's why I can say no to gutter jobs that I think will be a PIA.

Advertisement

NYgutterguy (10-14-2017)