How Bad Did The Roofers Mess Up And Can It Be Salvaged...

Old 08-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #1

Trade: Hydronic Heating
Rewards Points: 14

How Bad Did The Roofers Mess Up And Can It Be Salvaged...

Hello,

I am hoping to get an opinion on the work done on my house.
Here are photos i took after i got home and theyvwere done with the roof work... https://goo.gl/photos/Cbai8UV8mVyeFXnr7

Backstory.....
We had PV panels installed which i was not there to watch the install. Some of the panels were installed on part of the roof that is almost flat. They waterproofed the mounts on that section with chemlinks e-curb product...but failed to follow the instructions and i could tell somethung was wrong and after talking to one of their engineers i was told hus grandson could have done a better job and the warranty is void and to have it replaced.

Solar installer came to replace the e-curbs and found that it was tearing the roof......after a bunch of back and forth they said they would install a new capsheet on the entire flat roof area.

Last week they came to work on the roof...they had what lookked like tarpaper with a blue plastic on one side(not peel and stick, it said do not remove on the olastic) and self adhesive mod bit cap sheet...the tarpaper was nailed down and the cao sheet stuck to that and thats it......the edges are loose and can be lifted up......

After looking into how to do what they did online and youtube it looks like they messed up...

I dont know if it can be fixed, or is it a rip it off and redo it again situation...i am betting they will say they can fix it with some calk or simething but since im a hydronic heating guy not a roofer i dont know what is correct...i just bet they want to spend the least ammoumt of money, but they need to make it

so, yeah, long post... any advice would be very helpful

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,726

Re: How Bad Did The Roofers Mess Up And Can It Be Salvaged...

According to an Inspector I talked to last year no roofing manufacturer will warranty a roof with solar panels on it. Not exactly sure thats true, but I do know many fire departments will not send anyone on a roof if solar panels are present. I know my homeowners insurance asked if I had panels.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
DrkMith (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #3

Good info to look into, but not exactly relivent to this particular issue.
Thank you for the info
The Following User Says Thank You to DrkMith For This Useful Post:
Wile E Coyote (08-29-2017)

Old 08-27-2017, 08:00 PM   #4
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 4,330

Quote:
After looking into how to do what they did online and youtube it looks like they messed up...
Yeah...

naw. forget it...

Old 08-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,992

GAF liberty base sheet is black with what looks like plastic film. Its part of the mechanical method of attaching.

Cant see close ups of details but not all installers are craftsmen. If it works and follows specs. Thats it.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:09 PM   #6

My concern with the work is that the base sheet and cap sheet are able to be lifted up a good few inches without any effort and you can see the old flashing and roof.
I would have expected the new roofing to be somehow sealed to the flashing so wind and water wont get under the new roofing.

From the gaf instructions it talks about removing old flashing and i stalling a new flashing ontop of the bast sheet and having the cap sheet adhered to the flashing...but i could be wrong
Old 08-27-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,992

I personally hate installing drip cap over the finished roof as many spec's say. To me it bucks water.

For flashing, its recommended to spray the metal with an asphalt primer to improve the bond. I have used it and have not.....dont know how much it matters. It bonds either way and will not be able to lift it once its fully cured.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (09-12-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 10:09 PM   #8

The naildown (non adhesive backed) base sheet is ontop/extending paat the old extsting flashing with no adhesive or anything to bond or cure...

The self adhesive capnsheet is bonded to the base sheet only, not bonded to the flashing at all....

The GAF instructions show the flashing to be installed abovenrhe base sheet and under the cap sheet so the cap sheet is bonded to the flashing...
Old 08-27-2017, 10:12 PM   #9

Photo of lifting corner
Attached Thumbnails
How bad did the roofers mess up and can it be salvaged...-20170823_190713.jpg  
Old 08-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 20,340

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkMith View Post
Photo of lifting corner

That's because you're lifting it...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (08-29-2017), Bull Trout (09-12-2017), heavy_d (08-28-2017), SmallTownGuy (08-29-2017), Tom M (08-28-2017), Tom Struble (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #11

Ok.....is there suposed to be something to keep the roofing material on the roof? I am not exerting much of any force to lift the corner of the roof.

There is no adhesive or whatever you want to call it under the tarpaper, or bast sheet or whatever you want to call it.

The adheaive cap sheet or whatever you want to call it is adhering quite nicely to the bast sheet but the base aheer is only nailed down to the roof and not nailed close to the edges.

Im on the coast and do get some nice wind from time to time and i could see the wind getting under the edge that is not adhered to the roof in any way lifting up when a 60mph gust catches it.....or would i have to get up there and lift it manualy to help the wind.

It is my impression of the instructions ofnthe GAF Liberry self adhesive modified bitumen cap sheet that the roofer should have removed the old flashing and installed the new flashing inbetween the bast sheet and capsheet so that the capsheets self adhesive backing would self adhere to the flashing so as to make a waterproof/windproof/fingerproof seal and keep from being lifting up.........am i wrong?
Old 08-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #12
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,012

What do you want to hear? That you should sue him? Even if we agree with you it can't be used it anyway, we are just some ppl on the internet.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #13

I dont want to sue anyone, i am just trying to find out if there is a way to salvage the install that will last. I am not a roofer, but in my trade i know how to fix problems i come across and was hoping someone might have any ideas on how to fix this mess without having to repeal and replace the work already done, but if there is no good way to fix the issues i am going to request they start over.

If they are cheep or incompetent i could see them showing up with tubes of silicone saying that they will fix everything with silicone...

I dont want to make them redo all the work if there is a way to seal the edges that will last...flashig cement? Bituthane? Some roofing sealant like shahco through the roof? Hot tar? Some kind of torchdown product that could go inbetween the old roof flashing and base sheet?
Some way i cant think of to fix it in an acceptable way thata wont leak in acouple years?

But ohwell whatever
Old 08-28-2017, 06:34 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 624

If everything else is ok and you just want to secure the edge to keep the wind from lifting it, just use the best "Black Jack" type of caulk that you can find. You should pay about $8.00 for the good stuff.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:58 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,282

Just go around the edges on top of the drip cap and run a bead of blackjack. It'll bond up solid on the first hot day and you won't be able to lift it at all
Old 08-29-2017, 08:03 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 624

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixnbux View Post
Just go around the edges on top of the drip cap and run a bead of blackjack. It'll bond up solid on the first hot day and you won't be able to lift it at all
Great Idea! I wish I had thought of it.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:13 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 878

That is grade A dog sh17 job. No u cant salvage that and why would you want to? That looks terrible. The first windstorm that blows thru there is going to rip it off. The laps arent right, the end seams arent cut right, the material doesnt even cover the space or terminate high enough under the shingles. Looks like you hired sheetrockers to put that on.

Advertisement