Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Gutter joints leaking

8K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Grumpy 
#1 ·
I have a new home (to me)and see the gutters are leaking at many joints, The gutters are in good shape, guessing 10 years old aluminum, riveted at joints. I am guessing that some are not pitched properly, as when I goughtthe house I took a couple rubbish barrels worth of asphalt and leaf's out of them(neglected). I will be resetting these, but was wondering if anyone has recomendations for sealng the joints. I have seen at the lumber yard, guttertape and also caulk. Anyone have any input/experience with this.

#4 ·
Geocel 2310 paintable gutter sealant

As above: clean joint completly, make sure joint is dry

Use a paint brush to completly cover sides and back of joint.

This gives you a chance to cover all small openings and cracks in the old sealant.

Also make sue you remove any loose stuff before resealing.:thumbup:

#5 ·
I use solvent based elastomeric, which is a expensive roof coating. However it's thin and self leveling. Thin is nice because you don't want to build up the seams too much, and it's hard to scrap out all the old sealant. It's very sticky and will adhere to the old sealant if it's fairly clean and since it's solvent based will adhere if it's even a litle bit wet. Thin is also nice since it will fill cracks and voids on and around that old sealant bonding it to the gutter.

So far so good, but if your gutters are seamed (not meaning corners, but actual seams) you would probably consider getting all new seamless gutters. Seamed gutters are always a long term maintenance issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.