Genflex Vs Firestone

Old 12-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #1

Trade: commercial roofing
Rewards Points: 36

Genflex Vs Firestone

Is Genflex accepted in lieu of Firestone on roofing projects? I am genflex certified not firestone. What do you guys advise ??

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,490

Re: Genflex Vs Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken722 View Post
Is Genflex accepted in lieu of Firestone on roofing projects? I am genflex certified not firestone. What do you guys advise ??

Do your specs have a process to submit a substitution?

Look the two up and compare them.

Ultimately comes down to the owners choice usually swayed by the architect.

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 2,936

Genflex and Firestone are the two big boys and generally accepted as equals in EPDM You will need to bring it up with whoever spec'd the roof to see if they will accept Genflex instead. What anyone else thinks doesn't really matter, if whoever spec'd the roof insists on Firestone for some reason.

Good luck!
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 346

Genflex is made by firestone, No real difference in materials. Who ever wrote the specs will need to approve it. Same goes for Versico and Carlisle. We are certified in both now because one architect refused to allow Versico even though we had Carlisle tell them they are "equal".
Old 12-17-2015, 09:12 AM   #5

Trade: commercial roofing
Rewards Points: 36

You have to be putting down a lot of squares to be able to get certified with Firestone and carlisle right ?
Old 12-17-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
Pro

Not sure with Firestone, but we don't put down a whole lot of warrantied squares of Carlisle.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Commercial/Multi-family Architectural Sheet Metal
Rewards Points: 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken722 View Post
You have to be putting down a lot of squares to be able to get certified with Firestone and carlisle right ?
Yes, in order to even get with firestone you have to be moving massive amounts of material.

They are the most uppity circle jerk noses in the air m'fers around when it comes to their single ply.

I hate firestone's policy and if their metal flat stock wasnt so damn awesome I'd gladly tell them to F off. But god I love their metal. UnaClad for life baby. But **** Firestone on the singleply side.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalStretcher View Post
I hate firestone's policy and if their metal flat stock wasnt so damn awesome I'd gladly tell them to F off. But god I love their metal. UnaClad for life baby. But **** Firestone on the singleply side.
Try Peterson aluminum-Pac Clad. Their metal is awesome. Plastic is super easy to pull. Let me know and I can give you a contact directly so you don't have to go through a distributer.

But back on topic I agree with what you said 100%, for a number of years we did Firestone asphalt products, after a few years of saying no to giving us the single ply we went all GAF for asphalt. There is two companies in town that can do Firestone single ply, and they pitch a fit if there is even talk about anyone else getting it, and threaten to go to another manufacture. For the longest time the architects around here would spec everything Firestone and you would have to get others approved.

Advertisement