Flat Roof Under Deck

Old 12-10-2015, 06:33 PM   #1

Trade: Renovation
Rewards Points: 36

Flat Roof Under Deck

I have some repair work to do at my parent's house. Let's just say it was not well built.

There was multiple leaks/floods in a finished room in the basement. It is a walk out basement with a block foundation. The area in question is a PWF one story addition, with a flat roof and a deck on top.

I ripped out the drywall and the insulation. When I pulled the ceiling I found a lot of water just sitting in the VB. Short story is 4 joists and 2 sheets of plywood are badly rotted. I've yet to actually start taking any of it apart so I'm not sure how he did it, but I have no doubt it's terribly wrong. The deck is PT, he laid 2x4 sleepers on the roof and used 2x6 for deck boards. The leak appeared to have started where a post was installed for the railing. I don't see any damage from below in any other areas.

I'm hoping just to repair this area for now, I will be ripping out the deck in spring. What kind of product should I be using to seal the roof? Is it even a good idea to replace the existing deck? I can't say I've ever seen anything that looks like it before, but what do I know. If I were to redo it completely, what would be the correct way?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #2
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 965

Re: Flat Roof Under Deck

EPDM roofing, sleepers, and decking. Properly flashed at all post penetrations.

Advertisement

Easy Gibson
Old 12-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 704

We normally use torch down, sleepers, then decking and avoid any penetration through the roof.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 346

All the ones we do we install EPDM, no penetrations then a floating deck on the top, railings are attached to the deck. Here is one we did awhile back where the post penetrated the roofing. Lots of damage from the posts not being sealed correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Flat Roof under deck-bad-posts.jpg