Duo-Fast Cordless Roof Nailer, Thoughts?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #1

Trade: Building Material Sales
Rewards Points: 10

Duo-Fast Cordless Roof Nailer, Thoughts?

http://www.duo-fastconstruction.com/...ing-nailer.htm

On the fence about whether or not to suggest this to my customers. I prefer to get some real world stories from contractors before I'm willing to put my name on the line for it. Got any? If not, feel free to chime in. With your two cents I just may make an extra dollar.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Roofing and Architectural

Trade: Roofing and Architectural Metals
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Duo-Fast Cordless Roof Nailer, Thoughts?

Have never used it but could not justify it's cost for a few reasons.

1. The brand is not one any roofer would choose for quality

2. The specialized nails and the fuel packs are an extra expense.

3. Extremely inefficient and underpowered for nailing any amount of field.

The only use I have ever been able to fathom is something a repair crew would haul around if they just had a few nails to put in. But then hand-nailing works just fine for that plus you go back to problem #2

It's one of those things that is a great idea exactly for the reasons they stated. It's just the benefits do not outweigh the downfalls yet.

Last edited by Renegade; 12-19-2011 at 01:27 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renegade For This Useful Post:
JWilliams (12-19-2011), ZakDanger (12-19-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
Roofing Sage

Trade: Thoroughbred Roofer
Rewards Points: 2,000

It's a Paslode clone.

I guess it's okay for repair work, but I personally always prefer direct-powered equipment (corded tools, pneumatic nailers) for their efficiency and power.

It takes me 5 minutes max to set up a small electric compressor and run a hose to the roof. For that, once on I'm the roof, I could shingle in the new work at least 5 times as fast as I see that cordless gun working. It's the difference between taking an hour to shingle in a square of work with that thing or taking 10 minutes soup-to-nuts.

And if it's less than a square? People! Come on! A pound of roofers and a hatchet! Work those shingling muscles!

Even when I bang out a 40-50sq job, I will always do at least on square with my hatchet just so that I never lose that "touch" and connection to my trade.

I think that thing is better suited for "other" work (siding, flooring, etc...). I just don't see it being an efficient tool for roofing. And it probably weighs as much as a framing gun I bet.

But, I think it has it's place. I just personally couldn't sequential nailing with a roofing gun. It would drive me nuts. I'd be faster with a hatchet. I know that sounds like bragging to non-roofers, but it's just an objective fact. A good roofer would be faster than that gun with just a hatchet.

Zak,

Compare...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Ken Hendricks

Last edited by 2ndGen; 12-22-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Rewards Points: 1,036

Those are not professionals in either of those vids, JMO.

I agree with Renegade about the downfalls of any of these type of guns, except not choosing that brand. Been using duo fast staplers for years. Their quality is not what it used to be though.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Roofing

I think it would come in handy for someone that does a lot of repairs.

I don't what it cost to buy one or to buy the fuel cells. Will the time that it saves be enough to offset the operating cost?

If I really want to use a nail gun for a repair I can roll out an air hose and place my gas powered compressor on the tailgate of my truck. Of course you would not have to haul a compressor around if you had one of those cordless guns.

I have thinking about getting a cordless gun because I have been doing a lot of repairs lately.

I recently did a valley repair and could have used a cordless gun. In a valley you are going to have two layers of shingles, if it doesn’t have enough power to go through two layers it would be useless.

Last edited by MEL; 12-22-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
Project Manager

Trade: Roofing, Framing, Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,110

The supply shop toldme the other day they last about 2 sq. I am considering one but 369 is a bit much. I also was not aware of the specialty coils...
Old 12-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #7
PRO

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

I have to agree, those videos are not guys who I would want on my roof!
Old 12-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
Roofing Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&E Exteriors View Post
...specialty coils...
Deal breaker.
Ken Hendricks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2ndGen For This Useful Post:
Friscoblue (12-24-2011), JWilliams (12-23-2011)
Old 01-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
The Dude

Trade: home improvement
Rewards Points: 760

My boss threatened to buy me something like this. Now, I'm a tool whore, but only when they are efficient and worth the money. If it's a small repair, I'll hand bang. If it's worth breaking out a nailer, my Hitachi NV45AB2 is coming out, with the 100 foot hose which I store on a REEL so it's easy to roll out / roll up, and small compressor.

I'd rather have a Hitachi siding nailer for that kind of money.

I would have handed him another rod after he bent the first one." ~MAULEMALL
The Following User Says Thank You to smalpierre For This Useful Post:
2ndGen (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Contractor/ Carpenter
Rewards Points: 250

I know for a fact that it could not keep up with our installers.
Although I think it would be superb for repairs, no setting up compressors, just get on up and work!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #11

Trade: Building Material Sales

Ok verdict? Not worth the cost. Maybe if you've got money to burn and you like new gadgets, but having to buy specialty coil nails that only fit this gun, and new fuel cartridges every 2 square... The gun does work, and its actually surprisingly fast. I've tried it out and a couple of my customers have tried it, and yea its interesting and useful in a niche situation. But the average contractor has other cheaper solutions for any situation where this might come in handy. Seems to me they're trying to force new technology on a market that doesn't exist. Maybe next time...
Old 01-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
YUUUUP!

Trade: Metal Roofing Mogul

I must agree. It would be good for repairs or small jobs. Anything other than that I'm breaking out my compressor and nailer.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #13

Trade: roofer

Now I've seen it all, guys that openly admit using pneumatic tools on a roof calling other guys unprofessional.
IMO cordless nailers come in handy only for odd woodwork that comes up during tearoff -a luxury really when a handful of 16's and 8's and the hatchet will get the job done.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 2,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanSpruill View Post
Now I've seen it all, guys that openly admit using pneumatic tools on a roof calling other guys unprofessional.
a handful of 16's and 8's and the hatchet will get the job done.
And you don't use pneumatic tools Why not
Old 01-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #15
Roofing Sage

Quote:
IMO cordless nailers come in handy only for odd woodwork that comes up during tearoff -a luxury really when a handful of 16's and 8's and the hatchet will get the job done.
Do you use a tool or a rock to fasten material?
If you use a tool, then you are being hypocritical.
A pneumatic nailer is just another tool (a more efficient tool).

Welcome to CT.

Ken Hendricks
Old 01-29-2012, 01:21 AM   #16
Roofer Ben

Trade: Roofing

Quote:
If you ever put down 6 squares in an hour, you'll never hand-nail again.

-Ben
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bkb0000 For This Useful Post:
2ndGen (01-30-2012), JWilliams (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #17

Trade: roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
And you don't use pneumatic tools Why not
Quality, consistency, attention to detail, general customer preference.
2 squares an hour gets the job done. My experience is quality rapidly degrades slapping hogslop on with nailguns. Mistakes don't get fixed, details like flashings and vents become annoyances instead of, well, details, nails either blown through or not fully set.

BTW, -Don't- get me started on mansard pitches done with nailguns.

I'm sure all yall are the exception but come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever had a decent job other than hand nailers. Brinkmann in Houston was one, idk if their work ethic is same nowadays it's been years, but they where the largest privately owned outfit in the US and had all handnail crews.
Same in Colorado everywhere I worked, and here in AR.

Nother clear distinction I can make is the HR side of things. I've never worked with or for a hand nailing crew that wasn't good folks to work for and took some pride in their craft, while I have had roundly bad experiences including being ripped off working for nailgunners slapping crap on knocking on the door looking for a check 12 hours after they show up. They want easy money off the jobs and seem to tend to want easy money off their employees too.

My knuckles might be bloody everyday pressing flat every cold, puffed up shingle to set and drive the tack but I'm not standing there getting thanked by the customer at the end of the day all the while knowing his nice pretty shingles are busted all to hell under the hood.

To elaborate on customer preference, a clear and repetitive sentiment I encounter when doing a roof for some guy that had it gunned on last time is outright disgust how he left for work or the weekend and gets back, and it's already done and their gone. No chance to watch any of the work, nitpick over pet peeves, discuss the job, nothing. Their suspicions are often confirmed for me when I tear off 2 layers that where supposedly tore off last time, rotten wood never replaced, etc., something I rarely run across going behind an old hand nail job.

When I finish a job, I leave with a working relationship with the customer that pays huge dividends over time besides outright friendship, I'm the one their neighbors, friends and family calls, not to mention all the fences painting etc. side jobs I land. I don't even advertise.

Last edited by RyanSpruill; 01-29-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: add info
Old 01-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
Builder of Stuff

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via AIM to Young_Buck

Sounds like you have an issue with contractors who move as quickly as possible, and only care about the check. The tool doesn't make the man, friend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Young_Buck For This Useful Post:
2ndGen (01-30-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #19
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do

EVERY tool is an extension of the Man...

Application dictates necessity.

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MALCO.New.York For This Useful Post:
2ndGen (01-30-2012), JWilliams (01-29-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
Roofing Sage

Quote:
Quality, consistency, attention to detail, general customer preference.
2 squares an hour gets the job done. My experience is quality rapidly degrades slapping hogslop on with nailguns. Mistakes don't get fixed, details like flashings and vents become annoyances instead of, well, details, nails either blown through or not fully set.

BTW, -Don't- get me started on mansard pitches done with nailguns.

I'm sure all yall are the exception but come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever had a decent job other than hand nailers. Brinkmann in Houston was one, idk if their work ethic is same nowadays it's been years, but they where the largest privately owned outfit in the US and had all handnail crews.
Same in Colorado everywhere I worked, and here in AR.

Nother clear distinction I can make is the HR side of things. I've never worked with or for a hand nailing crew that wasn't good folks to work for and took some pride in their craft, while I have had roundly bad experiences including being ripped off working for nailgunners slapping crap on knocking on the door looking for a check 12 hours after they show up. They want easy money off the jobs and seem to tend to want easy money off their employees too.

My knuckles might be bloody everyday pressing flat every cold, puffed up shingle to set and drive the tack but I'm not standing there getting thanked by the customer at the end of the day all the while knowing his nice pretty shingles are busted all to hell under the hood.

To elaborate on customer preference, a clear and repetitive sentiment I encounter when doing a roof for some guy that had it gunned on last time is outright disgust how he left for work or the weekend and gets back, and it's already done and their gone. No chance to watch any of the work, nitpick over pet peeves, discuss the job, nothing. Their suspicions are often confirmed for me when I tear off 2 layers that where supposedly tore off last time, rotten wood never replaced, etc., something I rarely run across going behind an old hand nail job.

When I finish a job, I leave with a working relationship with the customer that pays huge dividends over time besides outright friendship, I'm the one their neighbors, friends and family calls, not to mention all the fences painting etc. side jobs I land. I don't even advertise.

A Roofer with 45+ years of experience once told me:

"Don't blame the tool."

(And my Dad was right.)

Ken Hendricks

Last edited by 2ndGen; 01-30-2012 at 04:20 PM.