Drone Inspection

Old 07-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: roofing, remodel
Rewards Points: 64

Drone Inspection

Has anybody used a drone to do roof inspection and show the homeowner what is going on with their roof and why it needs repair or replacement? In my experience I believe it is faster and better to walk the roof and take some cell phone photos but I am wondering it this 'high tech' approach might impress a homeowner and help close a deal.

Jesse

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2017, 06:29 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 3,196

Re: Drone Inspection

I've been asked about a drone inspection, by a couple homeowners. I told them I really needed to get a close up look and in some cases be able to get my hands on the roof to feel the shingle or sheeting.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, just not for me. I feel a drone would give an overall view, not a up close view.

I do use pictures to show the homeowner.

Of course those days are mostly behind me.

Advertisement

Old 08-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #3

Trade: roof cleaning
Rewards Points: 96

I wouldn't use a drone for roof inspection. Really not going to let you examine it the way you need to in my opinion.

Tony
Pro-Long Roof Care

Old 09-12-2017, 01:26 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 878

It sucks. Used it for a 3 story 24/12 copper roof. Boo. Photos sucked sun too bright pics not close enough
Old 09-12-2017, 07:31 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 20,340

Would be great for gutter cleaning guys...
Old 09-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
New Guy

Trade: roofing, remodel
Rewards Points: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
Would be great for gutter cleaning guys...
I think that is an interesting point. I wonder if it would really be worth it for them. I would think a gutter cleaner might use it to show a homeowner just how bad their gutters look and how much they need to be cleaned. But if you extrapolate that to roofing you might do the same with running the drone up to show crystal loss, nail pops, etc.

To me the biggest problems are 1) homeowners would be really ticked off at you for doing it and 2) I think there might be some FAA regulations preventing it. But you might have the kernel of an idea here, even for a roofer!

Jesse
Elite Roofing
Old 09-12-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 2,962

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-roofing View Post
I think that is an interesting point. I wonder if it would really be worth it for them. I would think a gutter cleaner might use it to show a homeowner just how bad their gutters look and how much they need to be cleaned. But if you extrapolate that to roofing you might do the same with running the drone up to show crystal loss, nail pops, etc.

To me the biggest problems are 1) homeowners would be really ticked off at you for doing it and 2) I think there might be some FAA regulations preventing it. But you might have the kernel of an idea here, even for a roofer!

Jesse

Elite Roofing

We don't do gutter cleaning at all but the only way to make money is get in and get the hell out as quick as possible. Spending one more second than needed showing chit in gutter for $75-100 is a waste. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,301

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
We don't do gutter cleaning at all but the only way to make money is get in and get the hell out as quick as possible. Spending one more second than needed showing chit in gutter for $75-100 is a waste. IMO

Before I sold it and moved, my business was gutter cleaning. The truth is, it took 3 years to get enough good paying, regular customers to average $174 per house. I enjoyed a stellar reputation, great reviews and the first listing/page on google search. The phone rang so much I had a full time office worker, an office and small shop as well as 5 trucks doing 8-10 houses a day 6 days a week. Drones are a hobby of mine and I tried to make money with them. Wasn't possible.

Get in and out WITHOUT A CALLBACK is the name of the game. High paying customers like we had refused to pay if there was a single leaf in the gutter. Make a mess on the deck and not clean it up?... forget about it!

I sold it for a small fortune, bought a gutter machine and never looked back. Gutter cleaning with a drone is a good way to go bankrupt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WBailey1041 For This Useful Post:
KAP (09-12-2017), NYgutterguy (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #9
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 2,962

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBailey1041 View Post
Before I sold it and moved, my business was gutter cleaning. The truth is, it took 3 years to get enough good paying, regular customers to average $174 per house. I enjoyed a stellar reputation, great reviews and the first listing/page on google search. The phone rang so much I had a full time office worker, an office and small shop as well as 5 trucks doing 8-10 houses a day 6 days a week. Drones are a hobby of mine and I tried to make money with them. Wasn't possible.

Get in and out WITHOUT A CALLBACK is the name of the game. High paying customers like we had refused to pay if there was a single leaf in the gutter. Make a mess on the deck and not clean it up?... forget about it!

I sold it for a small fortune, bought a gutter machine and never looked back. Gutter cleaning with a drone is a good way to go bankrupt.

Sounds like you made some incredible money with your business. That's awesome. Never had the desire for that big of a business. Have always kept it simple and small.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:11 AM   #10
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 13,652

Mike.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:38 AM   #11

Trade: home inspection
Rewards Points: 34

That Seems pretty cool. I wonder how efficient it is though

Dallas Home Inspections
Old 09-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 20,340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
https://youtu.be/UmIJt8NUosI

Mike.

Either that, or someone's doing some staging for youTube hits...

Advertisement

Last edited by KAP; 09-13-2017 at 09:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Californiadecks (09-13-2017)