Discontinued Shingles..

Old 08-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Roofing, Siding and Custom Carpentry
Rewards Points: 282

Discontinued Shingles..

I looked at a ranch home this morning and long story short, shingles have been discontinued. State Farm adjuster paid to replace half of the front of home. I told him shingles were discontinued and he said it didn't matter.

I had same thing happen last year but State Farm ended up paying to replace the entire roof after the homeowner complained, re-inspection adjuster came out and approved because of discontinued shingles.

Anyone have any info on what they have to replace? I know policy says not responsible for color......what you all think?

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Retail and insurance repair claims consultant
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Discontinued Shingles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB1986 View Post
I looked at a ranch home this morning and long story short, shingles have been discontinued. State Farm adjuster paid to replace half of the front of home. I told him shingles were discontinued and he said it didn't matter.

I had same thing happen last year but State Farm ended up paying to replace the entire roof after the homeowner complained, re-inspection adjuster came out and approved because of discontinued shingles.

Anyone have any info on what they have to replace? I know policy says not responsible for color......what you all think?

Thanks
IN does not have a match "rule/law". Hail or wind damage? That would help. Only half of the front? need more info and a couple of close up photos would help...

Old 08-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 330

Most insurance companies replace damaged slopes. How many slopes are they replacing?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Rewards Points: 1,426

Quote:

Thanks
I think that may be your answer.

Some ins. companies are putting in some new language without homeowners knowing.

How is the whole deal with American Family coming along larry?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,012

thats just plain silly, i could understand a few missing shingle, but to have an entire slope a totally different color is just wrong.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
Pro

No hail damage, just wind. This house has 6 total slopes...replacing 2 of the 6. It is 2 layers as well. 30 square and he approved replacing about 4 to 5. House has 2 valleys, 1 valley will be new, one old. Shingles are Sapphire Black. He also told me they no longer pay for pipe jacks, chimneys or drip edge unless they are damaged. I think I got a stoned adjuster!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 330

Quote:
No hail damage, just wind. This house has 6 total slopes...replacing 2 of the 6. It is 2 layers as well. 30 square and he approved replacing about 4 to 5. House has 2 valleys, 1 valley will be new, one old. Shingles are Sapphire Black. He also told me they no longer pay for pipe jacks, chimneys or drip edge unless they are damaged. I think I got a stoned adjuster!
Maybe your homeowner needs a better policy.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #8

Trade: State Certified General & Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

I might I have posted this before, but join your state roofing association and have them add a 25% rule to the building code. This rule would states that if over 1/4 of the roof has storm damage, the entire roof must be replaced.

JW

Old 08-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
I think that may be your answer.

Some ins. companies are putting in some new language without homeowners knowing.

How is the whole deal with American Family coming along larry?
MN still unresponsive (not surprisingly) and IN responsive but clueless. Little by little...going to send info to MN & IN AG's to see if I get a better response and then the local media. The AmFam deal is just to slippery to let them get away with it.

Any contractors with AmFam customers who paid the $30 match endorsement fee but who've had replacement of damaged roofing denied because they are 4-tab asphalt shingles (generally, Certainteed 4-tab Hearthstads), speak up and tell your story.

Let's see, with the match endorsement, AmFam will pay to replace damaged non-matching, discontinued or otherwise no longer available architectural or 3-tab asphalt roofing but excludes 4-tab asphalt roofing. Yeah, that makes sense...

I will post more info on results as I get them, here and at iccoa.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to larryb For This Useful Post:
MJW (08-23-2011), RandyB1986 (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Rewards Points: 1,426

I hope Randy got some good info.

If I may ask....since we are on the subject......

Have a two separate homes right now with claims. About the same damage. On the one, the ins. paid for all new siding because one side of the house was damaged. Could not match it.
On the second home, the ins. will only cover damaged sides.(2 out of 7-8 walls) The siding is 10 years old and faded. When the HO called about the fading, the adjuster stated that they don't want to cover the rest just because of fading.....because it just costs too much. WTF, right??!!

Really tired of the games myself. If there was other work, we wouldn't even bother with insurance work.

Is this worth pursuing?
Old 08-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
I hope Randy got some good info.

If I may ask....since we are on the subject......

Have a two separate homes right now with claims. About the same damage. On the one, the ins. paid for all new siding because one side of the house was damaged. Could not match it.
On the second home, the ins. will only cover damaged sides.(2 out of 7-8 walls) The siding is 10 years old and faded. When the HO called about the fading, the adjuster stated that they don't want to cover the rest just because of fading.....because it just costs too much. WTF, right??!!

Really tired of the games myself. If there was other work, we wouldn't even bother with insurance work.

Is this worth pursuing?
A number of variables are involved in this one. I'm assuming the siding is vinyl? I've yet to see any replacement policy from any insurance company that didn't exclude fading. That being said, some manufacturers slightly change the finish on the same panel and/or change the name of the color down the road. Slighty different pattern and/or color name change technically means that the existing color is no longer available. Check that one out.
The Following User Says Thank You to larryb For This Useful Post:
MJW (08-28-2011)
Old 08-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Restoration
Rewards Points: 75

Randy, we have gotten SF to replace many, many roofs for discontinued shingles here in IN. Most often was the 4 tab. The only experience I recall of having been denied was with AMFAM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #13
Pro

I am suppose to meet with a SF adjuster for re-inspection...we'll see how it goes.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 2,236

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB1986
I am suppose to meet with a SF adjuster for re-inspection...we'll see how it goes.
It should be a no brainer, replace them.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,034

Every adjuster is different in what the pay and won't pay for.

Think of a puppet once...

I've dealt with some outstanding S.F. adjusters over the year, most of which are IA's.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #16

Trade: Roofing Vinyl Siding Rain Gutter Vinyl Windows
Rewards Points: 25

"rule/law". Hail or wind damage .... The only thing that will help is photos photos close up photos ... Ins Co's All of them will try to beat you out of thousands of dollars if you don't take lots of Picture to back your Claim up .... Trust me when I say that Ins Co's are the best cons on the Block... CYA...

VISIT OUR SITE:http://erniesgutter.com [B] VISIT OUR BLOG: http://erniesgutter.com/blog

Last edited by erniesgutter; 09-09-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
4-tab asphalt shingles (generally, Certainteed 4-tab Hearthstads), speak up and tell your story.
Not many of those old 4-Tab Heartsteads left. They had a really dark, almost black shadow band and some really agressive blending in their three color granual drop. They looked really cool when installed properly. A lot of times though, installers didn't allow that shadow band to show correctly and they just didn't look as good.

The main problems with the Heartstead's however, was the cuts on the tabs were angled from the widest part of 9" right up by the head lap and narrowed to about 7" out at the edge of the tab. What that ended up doing was create an almost wind tunnel effect and any kind of breeze at all would lift those tabs right up breaking the seal. Those shingles started blowing off almost as soon as they were put down.

To bad CT never got that problem figured out because they were awesome looking roofs. Not a single shingle from any other manufacturer looked like those old CT Heartstead 4-Tabs either.

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 09-09-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,034

I think I got an IA to buy a Hearthstead roof today. Did the one two houses down a month ago and doing the one next door early next week, both had Hearthstead.

IMO, they were crap to lay and look even crapier now.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougger222 View Post
I think I got an IA to buy a Hearthstead roof today. Did the one two houses down a month ago and doing the one next door early next week, both had Hearthstead.

IMO, they were crap to lay and look even crapier now.
LOL.... to each his own I guess. I admit I never actually nailed a single one of them on a roof, but I did sell a ton of them right before they were discontinued back in the late '90s. I did a roof ID for one of my high end builders who was building a 1.5 million dollar home on Geist resivoir. The roof the client picked out was a perfectly installed Heartstead.

But, when the clients went by and saw their roof after it went on, they screamed bloody murder swearing that it wasn't the same shingle on the house across the cul-de-sac. That house wasn't finished yet either, so the CT rep got permission from that builder to pull one of the shingles to compare and of course, it was the exact same shingle. The Heartsteads on the house of my builder however, were installed improperly. The roofers didn't know what they were doing with that particular shingle and covered up the shadow band entirely. It looked terrible and of course, explained why they claimed they were 8 squares short on my 65 square take off.

I've got to hand it to my CT rep at the time however.... he was able to comp nearly half of the new Heartsteads for the tear off and re-roof. Needless to say, my customer hired the roofing crew that had done the other house to install them and done properly, the new roof looked fantastic.

With the trouble CT had with that shingle, I'm frankly surprised to hear any of them are still around on roofs today. Those things blew off in a stiff breeze.

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 09-09-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #20
Doug

Trade: roofing, remodeling & painting
Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Yahoo to room2roof

I am tired of these insurance companies paying for a roof slope or two, shafting good customers who never call in a claim until a bad storm hits that really damages their roof or siding. I have literally 7 claims waiting on re inspection because the adjusters never called the homeowner and just popped up to inspect the roof without me being present.

They either sloped them or failed them and every other house I inspect that we call in has roof damage or we dont call it in, mater of fact if it is hail I make sure I have 10 to 14 hits per on the front and rear of roof and at least 50% of a roof with wind damage with a combination of broken seals, missing shingles and creases.

It would be nice to see insurance companies simply take care of their customers, they make a ton of money and people can pay for 30 years without a claim and they still get dumped on.

Then we get dumped on when they do pay because it is very minimal and every billy bob without a license or insurance is doing roof for peanuts and beer which makes us legitimate contractors providing a great roofing system with a full manufacturer warranty that is not void and workmanship warranty look like we're overcharging people when we are upgrading them to lifetime architectural shingles, ice and water, ridge vent, hip and ridge shingles, starter shingles and more. It gets really annoying out here at times................

charlotte roofing contractor | kannapolis roofing | gastonia roofing

Roofers in North carolina