Carlisle Cover Tape Shelf Life

Old 05-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #1

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 128

Carlisle Cover Tape Shelf Life

Was reading up on the Carlisle cover strip/secure tape and the data sheets state that there is a 1 year shelf life on those products. Will using tape that is 5 years old affect performance?

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Rewards Points: 11,382

Re: Carlisle Cover Tape Shelf Life

More than likely depends on how it was stored. I would do a test piece. Does the backing come off ok still?

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to A&E Exteriors For This Useful Post:
Sealik (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 10:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&E Exteriors View Post
More than likely depends on how it was stored. I would do a test piece. Does the backing come off ok still?
The cover strip (dated 09/17/2014) was boxed and stored in a dry 50 degree room over the winter The secure tape (dated 2016) was stored in a box at 50-70 degrees over the winter. Not sure how any of it was stored prior to late last fall. Backing pulls off fine....not sure how sticky it's suppose to be though. I'll cut a small piece of membrane off the roll and test glue the secure tape and cover strip to it. I'll leave an exposed tab and see if I can pull the stuff off after a couple of days.

Thanks.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Sealik For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (05-06-2018)

Old 05-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #4

Is the Carlisle bonding adhesive water or oil based? One of the cans I have was sitting on a uninsulated floor for part of the winter. It felt like the bottom of the can might have froze, I moved it to a warmer spot of the home after realizing this. Most likely pop the can open and do a test glue up and see how it bonds epdm to osb, also give me an idea on how quickly the product tacks up in the heat of summer.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #5
Shingler extraordinaire

I think both solvent and water base are available

In the heat it doesn't take long to be ready to stick....usually less than 5 minutes
Sealik (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 06:45 PM   #6

Quote:
I think both solvent and water base are available

In the heat it doesn't take long to be ready to stick....usually less than 5 minutes
Yeah....I noticed there was solvent free adhesive. I have another....but it doesn't state what it is. Assuming it's an oil based product....better when freezing temps are amuk...lol

Edit...just read it's a solvent.......oil based product.
Never mind

On another note...
My guess would be to lay the EPDM in the morn......>75 degrees if possible(?)...<....a little more time till it's sticky. Getting really hot here lately in the afternoon (for spring).....up to 100+F.
Wait 15 min for membrane to relax.....apply glue....procede.
Also probably conducive to have an extra hand rolling the glue on.....both surfaces are drying at the same time. That said...does the OSB dry quicker.... or the epdm? When I laminate counters the glue on the substrate/wood sets up quicker than on the laminate...etc. But then again.....that epdm is a large black thermal mass.......

Could 1 person glue the epdm? 10'x14' sections...5'x14' epdm/5'x14' osb
Old 05-19-2018, 09:58 PM   #7
Shingler extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealik View Post
Yeah....I noticed there was solvent free adhesive. I have another....but it doesn't state what it is. Assuming it's an oil based product....better when freezing temps are amuk...lol

Edit...just read it's a solvent.......oil based product.
Never mind

On another note...
My guess would be to lay the EPDM in the morn......>75 degrees if possible(?)...<....a little more time till it's sticky. Getting really hot here lately in the afternoon (for spring).....up to 100+F.
Wait 15 min for membrane to relax.....apply glue....procede.
Also probably conducive to have an extra hand rolling the glue on.....both surfaces are drying at the same time. That said...does the OSB dry quicker.... or the epdm? When I laminate counters the glue on the substrate/wood sets up quicker than on the laminate...etc. But then again.....that epdm is a large black thermal mass.......

Could 1 person glue the epdm? 10'x14' sections...5'x14' epdm/5'x14' osb

10x14 is easy. Lay it in place and let it warm up, fold it in half, apply glue to substrate and rubber. The substrate tends to flash off a little bit quicker.

Once the glue is tacky, push the membrane from the edge of the sheet from a corner. When it's all pushed back in place go back and forth with a pushbroom applying a good amount of pressure.
Sealik (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #8

Because of the twist of the roof....would it be more conducive to start rolling the sheet back from the center....instead of the corner(s)?
The epdm will be hung over the roof edge approx 6 inches to tuck underneath my 'termination' bar. I was contemplating glueing this also just in case I can't get the drip edge on to seal the roof up. Other option would be to use some lap sealant to seal the epdm over the edge until the drip edge is installed.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #9
Shingler extraordinaire

I think it will lay better if you roll it at an angle. Maybe try it and see what works best for you with a couple dry runs
Sealik (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #10
Been around

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 1,570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealik View Post
Because of the twist of the roof....would it be more conducive to start rolling the sheet back from the center....instead of the corner(s)?
The epdm will be hung over the roof edge approx 6 inches to tuck underneath my 'termination' bar. I was contemplating glueing this also just in case I can't get the drip edge on to seal the roof up. Other option would be to use some lap sealant to seal the epdm over the edge until the drip edge is installed.
I think you're better off having some strips of wood (like 1x2) available and screw them through the membrane into the fascia as a temp hold down if you are worried about the wind. BA and lap sealant will just make an unnecessary mess. Or nail it directly to the fascia as long as you know the detail you will end up using

An FYI if you aren't aware....IDK what you have for adhesive, but cover tape doesn't get bonding adhesive, it gets primer glue or (if Carlisle) EP-95. EP-95 can be used for BA or splice or cover tape, but Ep-95 has been banned from sale in a lot of states, so you may not have that choice. Same thing with splices, don't use BA. It's either Primer or EP-95.

There is no reason you can't glue and push back the membrane in smaller sections. I just finished one where the roof had some pitch and angle changes. Approx 20'x20'. So I placed the sheet (10x20) then folded back from one side about 8 feet and glued 4' of deck and membrane then pushed and smoothed. Then the rest of that part was glued and pushed in place. Followed by folding back the other side (12' remaining) and doing that in approx 4' sections as well. This way the BA didn't sit too long and I didn't have to push too much membrane at once over the irregular surface. Works great and the membrane lays down nice and flat. Did the same with the second half.
A&E Exteriors (05-21-2018), Sealik (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Latone View Post
I think you're better off having some strips of wood (like 1x2) available and screw them through the membrane into the fascia as a temp hold down if you are worried about the wind. BA and lap sealant will just make an unnecessary mess. Or nail it directly to the fascia as long as you know the detail you will end up using

An FYI if you aren't aware....IDK what you have for adhesive, but cover tape doesn't get bonding adhesive, it gets primer glue or (if Carlisle) EP-95. EP-95 can be used for BA or splice or cover tape, but Ep-95 has been banned from sale in a lot of states, so you may not have that choice. Same thing with splices, don't use BA. It's either Primer or EP-95.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tgg986c0wM

There is no reason you can't glue and push back the membrane in smaller sections. I just finished one where the roof had some pitch and angle changes. Approx 20'x20'. So I placed the sheet (10x20) then folded back from one side about 8 feet and glued 4' of deck and membrane then pushed and smoothed. Then the rest of that part was glued and pushed in place. Followed by folding back the other side (12' remaining) and doing that in approx 4' sections as well. This way the BA didn't sit too long and I didn't have to push too much membrane at once over the irregular surface. Works great and the membrane lays down nice and flat. Did the same with the second half.
Yeah...I have HP-250 for the splice and edge tape. Any pics of this roof?
If you look at the roofing detail on that pic you'll see I have small wood strips that tuck underneath a 2 x3 ish nailer that will hold the epdm in place. Only concern is the unsealed epdm laps where water might migrate underneath with the right wind conditions, But...I think it should be ok until I can get the custom drip edge and edge tape installed.
The smart board will be getting replaced with some shou sugi ban pine...
Attached Thumbnails
Carlisle cover tape shelf life-img_2248.jpg   Carlisle cover tape shelf life-fluff.jpg   Carlisle cover tape shelf life-img_1721.jpg   Carlisle cover tape shelf life-img_2244.jpg   Carlisle cover tape shelf life-img_2276.jpg  

Old 05-21-2018, 07:55 PM   #12
Shingler extraordinaire

You could one piece that thing
Old 05-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #13

Quote:
You could one piece that thing
That was the plan.......but....I was told last year that 10' was the only width available, which is bull****. After laying the plywood on the roof I was a little doubtful that one piece would work....but then again...what the hell do I know The plywood toward the ends of the roof (because of the twist) had to be cut to get the gaps to line up. That said......I started laying the plywood down one edge of the roof and every subsequent row was compounded by the previous row it seemed...lol. In hindsight I should of started laying ply in the center of the roof and worked my way out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sealik For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (05-22-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #14

Returned one can of HP250 primer due to the Feb 2018 expiry date. Received the 'new' can today and well.....is that a 6 or an 8?
Looks like a 6......

Note...the supply company doesn't sell much epdm .....so I can imagine most products have been sitting around a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Carlisle cover tape shelf life-img_2320.jpg  

Advertisement