Best Shingles That Contractors Use?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #1

Trade: flooring
Rewards Points: 25

Best Shingles That Contractors Use?

what is the best shingles that contractors use?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,020

Re: Best Shingles That Contractors Use?

Certainteed is a professional grade shingle as they are not carried at the big box stores as they are usually only carried at the lumber yards and shingle houses. You can of course order than from the big box stores. I think Certainteed thinks more professional roofers will buy from lumber yards and shingle houses while more home owners will buy from the big box stores.

Any 30 year laminate is a good shingle. If I didn't buy only Certainteed it would have to be GAF but would have to wear gloves all Summer long due to all the slivers. One day laying the new Timberlines got more slivers than a year laying Landmarks. My hands like Landmarks so that's what they get.

Never tried the Tamko Heritage shingles but hear a lot of good things about them.

I would say it would be safe to say in my area 90% of the builders use Certainteed shingles while storm chasers only use 10% Certainteed.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
Roofer

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

The majority of my work is new construction,
except for 2006/2007 in which i did more re roofs,
but i use numerous types of shingles and they all have good and bad points of quality.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Jerry is an annoying HO, who drops by
from time to time to irritate people here.
He's like a bad penny.

Please don't feed the TROLLS!
Old 04-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,010

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractor's to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.