Aerial Roof Measuring Software

Old 06-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Engineer/GC
Rewards Points: 200

Aerial Roof Measuring Software

Hi, new here. I searched around a little on the site could not find much current. I’ve been playing around with taking roof measurements using photos from goggle and bling. Goggle earth has a measure tool that works fairly decent(+/_ 6”) as long as the measurement is parallel to the ground. I also have software that models roofs in 3d named xactimate V28, and estimates roof cost with current cost data in my area. So I can take rake measure, or run, put them into the software along with a guesstimate of the pitch and it will calculate the true run liner distance as if I went up on the roof and took a measurement. I tried one roof SF home and was off by a square.

Xactimate has a feature named “Aerial Sketch” I tried once on a large apartment complex, but the software could not determine a scale. It wanted me to give it some known liner distance I didn't have, so I paid Eagleview to do it, little under $500 and still don’t know if we got the job. Eagleview does produce a nice report, and links with xactimate and acculinks for aerial roof estimates. From what I read about Eagleview, some wiz IT guru wrote software that can accurately measure slope, squares, etc. Anyone know how to do this without getting on the roof? I just been eye balling it pitch and using goggle earth measure tool, not going too well so far.

I’m going to try Xactimate aerial view on a simple residential roof today, see if I can get it to work.

If anyone has any experience with this please share…..

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Love What You Do !

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Aerial Roof Measuring Software

How do you know what pitch the roof is ? From an aerial view wont it look flat and cause an issue with your dimensions?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsoulsdie View Post
How do you know what pitch the roof is ? From an aerial view wont it look flat and cause an issue with your dimensions?
It takes alot of trig by hand using goggle earth, or software. I have software now that does what Eagle View does. I just did my first one and went up on the roof. It checked out within +/- 3-6" and to the Eagle View report I had. So now I can do them as accurate as EV for a fraction of the cost. It also estimates all the shingles, flashing, guttering, siding etc.

Here is the roof...

Defining the edges, ridges, valley's, etc...

setting the slopes....

The software then converts the overlays to a 2d sketch...

Then a 3d model

The Following User Says Thank You to TLP For This Useful Post:
Windwash (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 131

I would never bid a job solely based on Aerial Roof Measuring Software. They are not 100% accurate nor do they see all roof sections if they are obscured by trees, balconys, patio covers ect. I have also noticed the pitch being incorrectly reported a few times.

I use EV to ballpark larger cut up steep jobs to qualify a customer, if they dont fall over after the ballpark number from EV then i will take the time to measure it and confirm or correct the EV docs. I would rather spend the $ on the EV report than actually measure it because 75% of the time we dont do the job because metals to $$$ and they go with comp.

I only use it on big cut up nightmares,

Last edited by AndyWRS; 06-20-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWRS View Post
I would never bid a job solely based on Aerial Roof Measuring Software. They are not 100% accurate nor do they see all roof sections if they are obscured by trees, balconys, patio covers ect. I have also noticed the pitch being incorrectly reported a few times.

I use EV to ballpark larger cut up steep jobs to qualify a customer, if they dont fall over after the ballpark number from EV then i will take the time to measure it and confirm or correct the EV docs. I would rather spend the $ on the EV report than actually measure it because 75% of the time we dont do the job because metals to $$$ and they go with comp.

I only use it on big cut up nightmares,
Yeah that one above had some steep narrow slopes, lots of wind here. As I said I went up and measure the job by hand and the software is accurate enough to get an order right. Insurance agents use EV all the time, you can put ten of them on a roof with tapes and get 10 different results too.

Works for me, for $10 bucks a pop I'll take it and I will only get better and faster at it, and more accurate w/practice. You have to be good with software here, know how to get around obstructions, etc. The simpler the roof the less time and more accurate.

generates a report to order materials.

No more climbing on roofs

Last edited by TLP; 06-20-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Windwash

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLP View Post
Yeah that one above had some steep narrow slopes, lots of wind here. As I said I went up and measure the job by hand and the software is accurate enough to get an order right. Insurance agents use EV all the time, you can put ten of them on a roof with tapes and get 10 different results too.

Works for me, for $10 bucks a pop I'll take it and I will only get better and faster at it, and more accurate w/practice. You have to be good with software here, know how to get around obstructions, etc. The simpler the roof the less time and more accurate.

generates a report to order materials.

No more climbing on roofs
Neat stuff but it raises a lot of questions in my mind:

Are you working for Homeowners or for gc's who already have the job? Or maybe you have the job by ballparking it and now want a materials list for ordering?

While working with customers at what point of the process do you tell them you don't need to measure the roof while on site? Are you getting cold calls and then showing up with predetermined price to sell?

I can see this as being very useful for high, cut up roofs but how do you determine all the little particulars from the photos? How many layers of shingles, soffit venting, removal of siding at roof/siding intersections for step flashings, chimney condition/flashings, etc?
Old 06-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwash View Post
Neat stuff but it raises a lot of questions in my mind:

Are you working for Homeowners or for gc's who already have the job? Or maybe you have the job by ballparking it and now want a materials list for ordering?

While working with customers at what point of the process do you tell them you don't need to measure the roof while on site? Are you getting cold calls and then showing up with predetermined price to sell?

I can see this as being very useful for high, cut up roofs but how do you determine all the little particulars from the photos? How many layers of shingles, soffit venting, removal of siding at roof/siding intersections for step flashings, chimney condition/flashings, etc?
Yeah I am impressed so far, however, I want to see the order invoices then I will bounce them back off my model, make adjustments, take notes. In time that roof above should not take no more than 10 mins. , the dormers were little tricky. Hip roofs that I can see the lines s/b easier. Last resort I go up and measure then put the dimensions in the software for estimating. I am pretty sure I am running the same program as EV, only difference is my report also puts out a bill of materials and complete estimate, not just measurements.

So I am the GC, I do the estimates, my PM delivers the material. I could offer this as a service like EV to other contractors, homeowners, etc. when I am real good at it. I hope I am making more $ than that on my own projects.

I still have to go to the site to check the # of demolition layers, any small details I could not get from images for my estimate. I just don’t have to get on the roof nor spend alot of time up there, which I am sure the homeowner will love as well. It will cut down the amount of time and risk we spend on roofs freeing up my PM’s in the field.

This software is not cheap and I use it for many other purposes. The aerial roof sketch workbench only cost $10 per use after you own the software. If I can do even a simple roof fast and accurate, it will keep my crew off roofs. The cut up roofs will take more time, I recently paid EV $500 for an apartment complex, that won’t happen again, now I think I will be able to do it in about an hour, save $500/hr. not bad worth my time. The software will easily pay for itself annually.

As with any software, accuracy depends on the user. The learning curve for me was very low since I have run more complex software (AutoCAD, CATIA) for decades. If you are not real good at software I don’t recommend this, or be prepared for a steep learning curve.

Last edited by TLP; 06-21-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Windwash (06-22-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 3,172

So if it's within 3 to 6 feet why not just look at it from the ground and guess
The Following User Says Thank You to jlsconstruction For This Useful Post:
roofermann (07-23-2014)
Old 06-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsconstruction View Post
So if it's within 3 to 6 feet why not just look at it from the ground and guess
Who said anything about feet? +/- 3-6" means 3-6 inches, feet would be denoted: +/- 3-6 '

I suggest you work on reading the computer screen 3-6" in front of you accurately first instead of a roof within 3-6'. Eagle View, etc, been out of business long time ago with that loose accuracy.
carpenter uk (07-23-2014)
Old 06-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
stacker of sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLP View Post

Who said anything about feet? +/- 3-6" means 3-6 inches, feet would be denoted: +/- 3-6 '

I suggest you work on reading the computer screen 3-6" in front of you accurately first instead of a roof within 3-6'. Eagle View, etc, been out of business long time ago with that loose accuracy.
I use my phone so jokes on you
Old 06-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsconstruction View Post
I use my phone so jokes on you
Oh that explains it, I can't see darn thing on it either lol!

I'm trying another one, oh no a tree is in the way now what?

Hips are a piece of cake.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
Pro

Can't wait to see the look on this homeowners face Monday when I hand him an estimate first time we meet and he ask, "don't you need to get on my roof? ".

Took me about 15 mins and the gas was cheap.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,426

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLP
Can't wait to see the look on this homeowners face Monday when I hand him an estimate first time we meet and he ask, "don't you need to get on my roof? ".

Took me about 15 mins and the gas was cheap.
More than half the roofs I sell I don't measure to get on. What's the big deal?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 View Post
That’s cool! I’m just fascinated by the software, this, the home built by a 3D printer, etc….what will these IT weenies think of next.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
stacker of sticks

I'm different I guess, I get on them check the sheething, go in the attic, to make sure the ho does have a supprise bill after we tear the root off.

Let us know how it goes, from a homeowner perspective it might not work well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlsconstruction For This Useful Post:
roofermann (07-23-2014), WarnerConstInc. (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,426

There's no reason to be unsafe and measure every roof. A lot I look at are steep and I'm sure not getting up there. You can usually tell by the condition of the shingles as to what the roof deck will be like.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
stacker of sticks

Quote:
There's no reason to be unsafe and measure every roof. A lot I look at are steep and I'm sure not getting up there. You can usually tell by the condition of the shingles as to what the roof deck will be like.
Yeah if we get a 8/12 we are lucky, but mostly 10 and 12/12. We did a 20/12 a long time ago, that was crazy
Old 06-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 1,068

I'm about as wide as I am tall, so getting on roofs is not something I do very well.

After doing hundreds of take offs from blue prints while on the wholesale side of the business, getting comfortable with how much waste was involved in different roofs, I became really good at getting shingle counts down to a couple of bundles on almost any roof.

Then, when going out into the retail/in home sales side of the business, I measured from the ground using a 100' (that's foot not inch ) tape. Knowing pitch factors and waste on any type of roof, I found I was always really close as well. At first, I would fudge it a little and send some extra material. But after numerous roofs of thrree or four open bundles of shingles at the end of the job, I stopped that practice.

The only thing I really had to guess on, was the hip and ridge on a really cut up hip roof. Again, the prior experience of doing the BP take offs helped, but it was the one variable I still found myself not exact on.

We just finished the first roof I've sold in about four years. It was an 8/10, 10/10 cut up nightmare. I figured the roof at 42.33 squares, 270' of hip and ridge, four hundred feet of starter, and five rolls of ice and water for all valleys (36"), rakes and eaves (18") and all roof penetrations (21 box vents, 3 pipe boots and one furnace boot).

I gave one bundle of shingles to the HO, and there was 1.33 squares, 1 piece of gutter apron and one piece of drip edge left to go back, Of the open stuff, there was about 1/4 roll of Ice and Water, a partial roll of felt, and a partial bundle of hip and ridge and starter.

Not too bad in my book.

Complete Window and Door
Old 06-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #19
Pro

How about you eagle eye guru's estimate the slope of the right hip? And the perimeter LF?

Let's put some walk to the talk and have some fun!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteW&D View Post
I'm about as wide as I am tall, so getting on roofs is not something I do very well.

After doing hundreds of take offs from blue prints while on the wholesale side of the business, getting comfortable with how much waste was involved in different roofs, I became really good at getting shingle counts down to a couple of bundles on almost any roof.

Then, when going out into the retail/in home sales side of the business, I measured from the ground using a 100' (that's foot not inch ) tape. Knowing pitch factors and waste on any type of roof, I found I was always really close as well. At first, I would fudge it a little and send some extra material. But after numerous roofs of thrree or four open bundles of shingles at the end of the job, I stopped that practice.

The only thing I really had to guess on, was the hip and ridge on a really cut up hip roof. Again, the prior experience of doing the BP take offs helped, but it was the one variable I still found myself not exact on.

We just finished the first roof I've sold in about four years. It was an 8/10, 10/10 cut up nightmare. I figured the roof at 42.33 squares, 270' of hip and ridge, four hundred feet of starter, and five rolls of ice and water for all valleys (36"), rakes and eaves (18") and all roof penetrations (21 box vents, 3 pipe boots and one furnace boot).

I gave one bundle of shingles to the HO, and there was 1.33 squares, 1 piece of gutter apron and one piece of drip edge left to go back, Of the open stuff, there was about 1/4 roll of Ice and Water, a partial roll of felt, and a partial bundle of hip and ridge and starter.

Not too bad in my book.
How about you eagle eye guru's estimate the slope of the right hip and perimeter LF total?

This pic is scaled correctly.

Let's put some walk to the talk and have some fun!

Last edited by TLP; 06-22-2013 at 07:02 AM.