Adding Chimney Cleaning?

Old 01-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: roofing/siding
Rewards Points: 14

Adding Chimney Cleaning?

Being from north jersey and the weather is what it is, the winter downtime is brutal financially.
We are primarily a roofing /siding company and after xmas its dead here until march aside from small repairs. To add some income I was considering adding chimney cleaning to our services, gets us on the roof and give us a chance to gain more exposure . We could add an experienced employee to start up and ride with me to make sure its a professional job
Does anyone offer this?
Any advice on this idea? pros and cons?
Thanks in advance

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
copper magnet

Trade: custom metal fabrication
Rewards Points: 512

Re: Adding Chimney Cleaning?

I actually came to the roofing business from the opposite direction. Started out in the woodstove/chimney service business. Started getting asked about flashing leaks. Moved from there.

These days, there is quite a bit of specialized equipment (video equipment, etc) besides brushes and vacuums necessary. There is also a fair amount of potential liability. I'd advise jumping in full force if the market will bear it VS doing it as a sideline.

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 6,616

There are many chimney liner companies in our area that mass market a variety of service . They use gutter cleaning as way to a customer & find roof problems once they get there. In the end they just have inner city cheap sub crews do it. But this who's doing it.
It's easy do.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
There are many chimney liner companies in our area that mass market a variety of service . They use gutter cleaning as way to a customer & find roof problems once they get there. In the end they just have inner city cheap sub crews do it. But this who's doing it.
It's easy do.
Tom,
I agree with you and most of these companies come out of no where and don't last long. Im hoping with my company longevity, previous customers and reputation will get the phone to ring, hoping anyway
Im thinking of hiring a experienced sweeper with some experience with roofing/flashing repairs.
Would like to purchase a camera too, I do not see many companies offering a visual.
Not out to scam anyone just add some more business and fill in downtime, I look at it as providing a service to homeowners, keep my guy busy and pay the bills
The Following User Says Thank You to skytech21 For This Useful Post:
Tom M (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
I actually came to the roofing business from the opposite direction. Started out in the woodstove/chimney service business. Started getting asked about flashing leaks. Moved from there.

These days, there is quite a bit of specialized equipment (video equipment, etc) besides brushes and vacuums necessary. There is also a fair amount of potential liability. I'd advise jumping in full force if the market will bear it VS doing it as a sideline.
Thanks Seeyou,
what type of camers and vaccumm should we look at?
anything else?
I want to be prepared and professional, totally set up for roofing/siding and want this division to be the same. I believe there is a calling for this in my area especially with the gas/oil prices so high.
Most homeowners do have wood stoves and inserts around here, I did see some of the prices advertised in flyers( most under $100.00)
Is that possible?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
copper magnet

Trade: custom metal fabrication
Rewards Points: 512

I've been away from it for 30 years. I sold the woodstove store and related services and had to sign a non-compete agreement.

Check out:
http://www.lindemannchimneysupply.co...ion-tools.html

&

https://www.copperfield.com/default.aspx

Advertisement