5/6 Inch Gutter Machines

Old 08-10-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Roofing Siding Gutters Windows
Rewards Points: 250

5/6 Inch Gutter Machines

i just assumed gutters belong in the roofing thread. correct me if im wrong. anyone know what are some good 5/6 gutter machines?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 05:08 AM   #2
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via AIM to ApgarNJ

Re: 5/6 Inch Gutter Machines

Englert makes a nice 5/6 inch combo machine. My friend who's a long time roofer and gutter man just bought one this past spring. He loves it. It takes about 10 minutes to change over once you do it a few times. I went with him last winter to get trained at the company, it's right in NJ. They are built very solid, look into them, you won't be disappointed.

http://www.englertinc.com/machines-gutters.aspx?Page=3

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Gutter Hanger

Trade: Seamless gutters
Rewards Points: 521

No complaints yet with my NewTech 6 inch machine. I keep a chunk of 5 inch gutter in my truck to show customers as a comparison to the gutters that I make. Sold several jobs this way. Keep your prices reasonable and you'll beat the 5 inch sellers almost every time.
I had no interest in spending an extra $3k on a combo machine nor did I want to stock 2 coil sizes or spend time changing the machine over.
Is it overkill? Maybe sometimes but the big gutter has become a selling point. I wouldn't take back my decision if I had the chance.

Last edited by CrescentGutter; 08-10-2010 at 07:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrescentGutter For This Useful Post:
seeyou (08-10-2010)

Old 08-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
Dan

you can't sell a big 6" gutter on many residential jobs. it just looks WAY too big. besides, 10-15 minutes isn't a lot of time to change the machine over.
Some residential jobs do require for larger roof areas but many do not.
The Following User Says Thank You to ApgarNJ For This Useful Post:
nlgutters (08-11-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,250

Big and unneeded on most residential unless it half rounds. I like the look of the 6 inch half rounds on normal residential. In general on k style, i will suggest bigger downspouts .

Last edited by red_cedar; 08-10-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
Gutter Hanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApgarNJ View Post
you can't sell a big 6" gutter on many residential jobs. it just looks WAY too big. besides, 10-15 minutes isn't a lot of time to change the machine over.
Maybe in your experience that holds true. In my area everyone who has hired me are liking the looks of the larger and sturdier gutters.
I know that it sure works well compared to 5 inch when roofers have hung steel a tad too far over the drip edge, and I've seen that on more than one occasion.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Gutter-Maker

Trade: Gutter & Downspouts
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApgarNJ View Post
Depends on the demographic. Here in the Southeast, 6K is primary in residential, especially retro-fit. (5K on builder work-cheap)

In Florida, 6K, & 7K is common.

3x4 Downspouts are the norm, 2x3 is dead here.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Gutter-Maker

Trade: Gutter & Downspouts
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractorjay View Post
i just assumed gutters belong in the roofing thread. correct me if im wrong. anyone know what are some good 5/6 gutter machines?
Don't get an Englert, New-tech makes them, private label for them, cut out the middle man.

I would recommend KWM Ironman, reliable and easy to adjust.. Stay away from the newer Grovers (Blue and Yellow models) , i have to adjust them all the time for my customers, and New-tech is a more difficult to adjust.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 2,340

1/2 rounds are the only way to go.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
Gutter Hanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbeard View Post
Don't get an Englert, New-tech makes them, private label for them, cut out the middle man.
Funny you should mention that. When I looked at Englert photos, I could see some similarities but just thought, "nah, it's my imagination." Not an exact copy but enough similarities to get my attention.
It does pay to comparison shop. I won't name vendors, but I did save myself a fair amount by shopping around and trying to wheel and deal a little bit when I was machine hunting. Wound up saving some money on the machine as well as the shipping costs.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:11 AM   #11
Dan

Quote:

I would recommend KWM Ironman, reliable and easy to adjust.. Stay away from the newer Grovers (Blue and Yellow models) , i have to adjust them all the time for my customers, and New-tech is a more difficult to adjust.
My roofer/gutter man lives here in NJ, englert is 45 minutes from him, it made sense for him to buy it here. if he ever needs parts or has a problem, they have a guy to come out and fix it, plus he also started getting all of his gutter supplies there cheap with very little sales tax in that part of NJ. He could have saved some money and bought somewhere several states away but been left high and dry if he had a problem with the machine and needed help. this was the first machine he bought, before that he'd have a local roofing supplier run the out and they were just too high per ft to run them out.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:48 PM   #12

Trade: gutter installer
Rewards Points: 32
Unhappy

It runs good on 5 but on 6 it runs gutter down hill dose anyone know what to tell me to do? dose anyone know anybody that adjust machines in ohio ky or wva/
Old 12-22-2016, 02:48 AM   #13

Quote:

You adjust machine's? i have a 1999 knudson 5/6 combo runs fine on 5, down hill on 6 can you call me 740 307 1337
Old 12-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #14

my machine makes good 5 and 6 inch gutters it just needs adjusted on 6 it only takes about 14 minutes to change over its a knudson 1999 model but i recommend a K.W.M. they will do adjustments for free if youre machine is out of line.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #15

Trade: Gitters
Rewards Points: 2

I run gutters out of a handicap bus... Wheel chair lift loads my rolls easily... And run 5em right out 5e emergency door. In back. Gonna get another for my other machine
Old 08-30-2017, 05:34 AM   #16
Gutter Hanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridley View Post
I run gutters out of a handicap bus... Wheel chair lift loads my rolls easily... And run 5em right out 5e emergency door. In back. Gonna get another for my other machine
A thread from the past resurrected.
I'm still doing strictly 6 inch, but have moved on from the New Tech to a KWM Ironman Jr. I'm very happy with it.
I operate out of a 7x18 enclosed trailer. I have a skid steer with a boom pole attachment. I load the coils through the side door and set them on the machine.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:43 PM   #17
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 2,962

Funny reading an old thread about popularity of gutter sizes. The 12 jobs I have scheduled 11 are the larger 6". It's a very easy sell around here when you show the customer the bigger system. Bigger profit too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2017, 09:31 AM   #18
Gutter Hanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
Funny reading an old thread about popularity of gutter sizes. The 12 jobs I have scheduled 11 are the larger 6". It's a very easy sell around here when you show the customer the bigger system. Bigger profit too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly why I didn't argue the other person's point way back then. To make a blanket statement like he did about most residential customers not liking it and it looking too big really doesn't do anyone any good.
I've done as much work as I like with the 6 inch every year I've been in business.

Advertisement

NYgutterguy (09-03-2017)