30 Year Shingle Prices

Old 04-02-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Supply
Rewards Points: 75

30 Year Shingle Prices

Are going up in most places if they haven't already for you. ie GAF approx 20%.

Anyway my question is how important is your 30 year price to you. I'm always amazed how many roofers watch the T-30 price to the penny, only to get hosed on the Ice shield, felt, ridge vent etc etc. Today I had a potential customer bring me a competitive quote on roofing. The T-30s were $1 less then mine, the Ice+Water Shield was $9 more a roll. Felt $3 more a roll. He didnt even notice until I pointed it out (or at least he pretended not to)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,364

Re: 30 Year Shingle Prices

Thats fine, we just play the game too, and stock pile, ice and water, drip edge, nailes etc in bulk, from whoever gets the price right. Im getting sick of it, the same thing is happening with siding. My salesreps make me feel like im buying a used car every time i order a house. I just want someone to consistently offer me a fair price across the board. I wont count penny's, but when you start droppin $10/sq and jackin sundries, Ill pick and choose.

Im also getting sick of one company in particular, that has divided their inventory amongst branches, so rather than stock a little of everything in each branch, they have a lot of a little in every branch. 1 week shuttle time to get a popular instock siding color, that the competitor has in stock every day of the week for the same price? Sorry, but im gonna have to get what i want when i want it.

Even worse, they look at me like i have three heads, when I go to the competitor down the street that has something in stock, rather than wait two weeks to get it from alcoa with no returns!

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via ICQ to A W Smith

Its like a damn game with them. my .. ahem.. "salesman" will quote me a price on the phone. then i go in and get a ticket written by the counter person. Then Ill see the price is higher than i was quoted. Ill stop and say Hold on a min. is Pete here? No, Pete's on the road. I call him as I'm at the counter to verify the price he quoted me. Then I hafta get them to drag out "my" price book. to write it down in the book. Its like i gotta be a PITA just to get something at the price i was quoted. last roof i did I got two quotes for an entire roof and accessories from suppliers. all I asked was they matched the best of so I wouldn't have to go out of my way. No they had to go above the chain of command to the branch manager to match price. I don't like doing this. But i pay almost street price because i suffer the burden of doing all phases of work. So I don't have the advantage of volume. One week ill be doing siding, another drywall. another a roof, another , trim.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
New Guy

Trade: General Contractor
Location: Down a dirt road through the trees, away from the mysteria !
Rewards Points: 10

Man I feel lucky My dad and I have been using the same roofing supplier, for about 15 yr. I get a price list in the spring like now, and thats the price all yr. Past yrs. their price has always been $5-6 per sq. more,(then the local average) but deliverys are always on time roof top and never damaged anything (Driveways, roof deck or smashed fascia). Then the other day I stop in to say hi, get a new price list and they tell me shingles are going up but they are going to hold last years price. BOUNUS!
Old 04-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,116

Prices are up but you just have to charge more to make up for it. Just downloaded the second quarter Xactimate and compared it to second quarter last year and the estimate went from $10,200 to $11,600. A $1,400 improvement on a 35sq roof more than covers the increase in materials.

My new price for Landmark 30's is $64. Two years ago this time was paying $40.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Rewards Points: 1,772

I need that program! Can you send me some info dougger?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:13 AM   #7
Pro

BTW, just had the Roofing advisory meeting with Certainteed. There was no talk of the price increase yet, but I feel it coming.

Using GAF/Elks right now (HO's request), and I am not impressed.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:37 AM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,054

Just one suppliers price list so far and they are not my primary, but:

Certainteed:
XT-25: $ 40.62

XT-30: $ 49.13

Landmark 30 AR: $ 49.36

Landmark Plus AR: $ 62.48

Landmark Premium: $ 75.84

Independance: $ 101.00

Tamko:
Elite 25: $ 37.44

Heritage 30 AR: $ 47.37

Heritage 50 AR: $ 69.64

GAFs and OC's are in between those two.

Ed
Old 04-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,364

We're paying a few bucks less for tamko now, but its supposed to go up very soon i guess.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
BTW, just had the Roofing advisory meeting with Certainteed. There was no talk of the price increase yet, but I feel it coming.

Using GAF/Elks right now (HO's request), and I am not impressed.
They had an increase in March and on April 1. My rep at the lumber yard who only stocks Certainteed showed me both faxes from Certainteed. They also went from a $50 fuel surcharge per semi to $100.

Put down some of those new GAF/ELK shingles a couple months ago and got 7 slivers in one 8 hour day. I hope it's the list time I have to get that close to those shingles. Even though it was done in the Winter the shingles cut a lot easier than Landmarks. Also noticed how easy it was to rip the laminate sections off the shingle.

Where do you buy your Landmarks from and what are you paying? My price is still at $51.99 but when the supply is gone and they have to buy from Certainteed the price goes to $64.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #11
Pro

I have also noticed the laminates seperating real easy on the GAF/Elks. Brand new shingles and they don't hold together very well.

We are right around $50 lately at Pro Build (used to be local UBC). We use United Products when we get busy and they are a little better on pricing, but their payment schedule isn't as easy to work with.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #12
Duane

Trade: Roofing Siding and remodeling
Rewards Points: 85
Send a message via AIM to Duane1982

Certainteed landmark 30's went up here on the 1st of april from 49.95 to 53.95
Old 04-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #13
New Guy

Trade: General Contractor
Location: Down a dirt road through the trees, away from the mysteria !
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
I have also noticed the laminates seperating real easy on the GAF/Elks. Brand new shingles and they don't hold together very well.

We are right around $50 lately at Pro Build (used to be local UBC). We use United Products when we get busy and they are a little better on pricing, but their payment schedule isn't as easy to work with.
I almost always use GAF now GAF/Elk and have never had any issues.
How do you tolerate that place? (United Products)Their drivers are sh!t heads and if you have to go in to either T.C. location you could spend an Hr. in the parking lot waiting for your stuff.Also Twice last year when I had to go their, I come out of the office and some f-ing can is scoping out the tools in the bed of my truck!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Residential roofing contractor
Rewards Points: 186

Landmarks from our supplier have been at $47 for quite awhile. Price increase on May 1 on steep slope products. Not sure what pricing will be. Locked in a couple of jobs today to protect the customer. Procrastinators will be paying the upcharge.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by General-Lee View Post
I almost always use GAF now GAF/Elk and have never had any issues.
How do you tolerate that place? (United Products)Their drivers are sh!t heads and if you have to go in to either T.C. location you could spend an Hr. in the parking lot waiting for your stuff.Also Twice last year when I had to go their, I come out of the office and some f-ing can is scoping out the tools in the bed of my truck!
How can you use GAF???

We used united for awhile because we had a good salesman. We normally hop around every year or so to different suppliers. That's the only way to keep them honest with their prices.

As for the can....it's a little early for them isn't it? Most companies don't do anything in the winter. That's because all of their workers are back down south with their families. This year I want to turn in every illegal I see. There isn't enough jobs for everyone let alone someone who doesn't live here. I just need the phone number to call. Anyone know it?
Old 04-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #16
Pro

I keep my loyalty to Dakota County Lumber Co. in Farmington, MN. All my builders buy from them and I have for over five years now. They only stock Certainteed shingles, but can order others of course. They don't carry much for flat roofing that I buy from United Products. When I shop there I feel like a Mexican! Never seen a Mexican in Dakota Lumber. Sorry to offend the other roofers but keep in mind a Mexican is a Mexican.

Every year Dakota gives me leads from both builders and home owners with new roofs and tear offs. Just bid one the other day from a guy who came in looking for a roofer. One of the estimaters/salesman has a neighbor who wants a bid and he needs me to look at his roof too. Each year they land me a few tear offs and a few new roofs.

When I get price lists from the big shingle yards they are always higher than what I pay. At one time the price was a concern for materials now it's more loyalty than anything. They are very easy to deal with and they give me a good amount of jackets, sweatshirts, t-shirts, and hats.

Try to get leads from the big shingle yards, good luck!!! You would have to sell thousands of roofs per year to get on there A list.

BTW, no Mexicans have ever been harmed putting on a roof by my company.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #17
Pro

We have gotten just as many leads from United as we have from the local lumber yard. Very surprising, I know, but we have a good salesman to work with there.

Then again, we work with the St. Cloud branch. The ones in the metro are always late and more troublesome. One load was a whole day late! We got a pretty good discount on that load!
Old 04-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #18
Roofing Sage

Trade: Thoroughbred Roofer
Rewards Points: 2,020

Considering that asphalt is made of oil, it's another reason to ask why we are paying so much more for anything oil related while the oil companies are making record breaking windfall profits during a time of economic turndown.

Ken Hendricks
Old 04-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGen View Post
Considering that asphalt is made of oil, it's another reason to ask why we are paying so much more for anything oil related while the oil companies are making record breaking windfall profits during a time of economic turndown.

The rich are getting richer while the poor are getting poorer.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #20
Roofer

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

<>?:"{}@#$%^&*()_+

Advertisement