3 Tab To Architectural... Flashing ?? - Roofing - Contractor Talk

3 Tab To Architectural... Flashing ??

Old 01-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

3 Tab To Architectural... Flashing ??

What do you guys think is best when you have a 3 tab roof installed at a 5" exposure and the new roof is architectural at 5-5/8". This question is about the flashing issue that arises when the flashing is buried behind the siding and j-channel. Do you just shrink the exposure back to 5" and move on? It takes about 11% more shingles, but it should keep the flashing alignment right. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,364

Re: 3 Tab To Architectural... Flashing ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolwiz93 View Post
What do you guys think is best when you have a 3 tab roof installed at a 5" exposure and the new roof is architectural at 5-5/8". This question is about the flashing issue that arises when the flashing is buried behind the siding and j-channel. Do you just shrink the exposure back to 5" and move on? It takes about 11% more shingles, but it should keep the flashing alignment right. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Do it right and replace the flashing.... Thats how we do it

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: roofing
Rewards Points: 150

I have always tried to replace the tins if possible. Some walls are a nightmare & can be behind 2 layers of siding. Avoiding bending aluminum can be a pain to & i take it all off if it's not to big. At least vinyl is a breeze. That is the first thing i look at when bidding the job & the price go's up if it's one of the headache walls.

How about those siding guys who put a 3 inch coil along the whole wall?

Old 01-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Roofer View Post

How about those siding guys who put a 3 inch coil along the whole wall?
We put a 1-1/2x3 piece of coil on there. However if the roof looks like its going to need to be replaced soon we skip it to save ourselves, or another company some trouble
Old 01-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Roofing contractor
Rewards Points: 302

Two totally different issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolwiz93 View Post
when you have a 3 tab roof

new roof is architectural
bad roofing. But you can with no ill effects at all on a 6/12 or above. 5/12 in a non-snowy area.

I just replaced a 3tab over 3-tab that had lasted twenty years on a 3/12 though here in florida. That would have never worked in a snowy climate.
5/12? yes.

Quote:
when the flashing is buried behind the siding and j-channel.
Was the flashing installed properly? is it showing any signs of rust.
These are questions to be answered before i decide whether to keep them or not.

99 percent of the time you will find that there is not enough room to slide your shingles up under the j-channel anyway. So if you have to take up the jchannel and bottom run of siding than you might as well replace the flashing there. Also, i would just go ahead and tear off the shingles a foot(a tab) away from the wall for quality( yeah,even though it is a nail-over)

------------------------------------------------------------------
another subject-- flashing....

I hear roofers say they always replace flashing.
Well its easy to replace flashing if it is step flashing and it was never nailed to the wall behind the siding.
I think that is brilliant and that is the way it should be.

But unfortionatly here in florida---All you get is stick flashing.
10 foot pieces. Quality is only measured by the thickness and metal material.
In fact-for many years-In new construction- All flashing has to be installed on the wall and in the valleys(and city inspected)
before the first shingle is ever laid.

So basically step flashing is outlawed!

Isn't the government great?????
Wow, i really have to have more and more of that.
Please charge me more taxes so that you can afford to enforce these great laws.

Last edited by roof-lover; 01-13-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
New Guy

Trade: Roofing

if it's vinyl siding then do it right and remove the siding if you have to and use all new steps.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
It is what it is

Trade: Roofing, Remodeling, Concrete
Rewards Points: 252

Yeah do it right it, i will usually pop the j channel loose and pull all the flash card and put in new. For the 1/2 hour it takes to remove the j channel it will save you a lot of headaches. Unless you get luckey and the person that did the roof befor didnt nail the cards to the wall.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #8

Trade: General Contractor

I want to make sure you guys understand that we would be tearing off the existing 3 tab and then installing the new roof. I'm not a fan of going over an existing roof. Also this roof is only 15 years old so the aluminum flashing should be fine. There is about 75 lineal feet of sidewall flashing including a couple of dormers on a 10/12 pitch so I doubt it will only take a 1/2 hour to remove the j.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

I take it the PITA factor wasn't figured in the original price. I would replace the flashing and eat the cost, but thats me. I also am not a fan of layovers, one because I don't know whats underneath for sheathing and two thay always wait until the shingles are falling apart before they call.

Advertisement

When you rob Peter to pay Paul, chances are pretty good you will receive Paul's vote. Apparently the object of the game is to create more Pauls than Peters....What happens when the Peters can no longer support the Pauls? .