Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Red Oak on a deck???

10K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  deckman22 
#1 ·
I got a call today to replace the decking on a small deck. I showed up and the home owner led me around to a 6' by 8' deck. The structure by it self Appeared to be ok. What stood out was they had laid green ply wood then over the top of that they laid red oak hardwood flooring. It was all face nailed to the ply. The owner said they had planed on sealing the deck in the winter but never got around to it. This deck is exposed with no roof or weather protection of any kind.

Has anybody ever heard of this? I see many problems with the way it was installed in the first place but even if it were installed properly is red oak something that will stand up to weather?

I recommended they go to visit my lumber supply show room and pick out something intended for outdoor use.

#8 ·
Man thats a bad deal x 3. Red oak is defentley not ment to be exposed to the weather( white oak is), defentley not fastened to plywood thats not ment to be exposed to the weather either, and they plan to put a finish on?????

These folks should be required to get a Permit from one of us before they buy Anything from the Box stores. J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.