Non Load Bearing Walls, 10 Ft. High ?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Non Load Bearing Walls, 10 Ft. High ?

I have a friend who owns a grocery store, He wants to add 2 ofices on the sales floor so as to save on renting other office space.
He wants the overall area to be 14' X 56' X 10' with no ceiling, The finished space would be 2 offices 14X23
A total of 3 walls would be built as the other 2 walls are concrete exterior walls of the building. (Putting the offices in the corner of the sales floor) My question is how can the two 14' walls and the long 56' wall be secure so as not to wobble ?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #2

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Non Load Bearing Walls, 10 Ft. High ?

You would have to run 45 degree kickers up to the bottom of the roof joists. The amount of kickers required will depend on if you are framing with wood or metal studs. Option #2 would be to frame in a hard lid (ceiling). Option #3 would be to run posts in the framing all the way up to the joists to break wall span down (these would have to be solid members from floor to joist).
This should be specified in the plans.

Why no ceiling?
I understand if it is in the middle of the sales floor and you don't want to build up to the joists, and that you don't want wires for t-bar visible.
I am assuming the building is sprinklered, don't make the mistake of thinking by leaving the ceiling open that you won't have to move a few sprinkler heads around because wall placement and height will play into the coverage as well, but this would also be specified in the plans.

Since this is a commercial project, even adding non bearing walls will in most cases require a set of stamped plans. The city will not want the liability of approving any type of over the counter type permit due to public safety concerns dealing with fire safety. (At least in my experience this has been the case).

Old 08-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter Extraordinaire
Rewards Points: 1,450

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.StichCon View Post
You would have to run 45 degree kickers up to the bottom of the roof joists. The amount of kickers required will depend on if you are framing with wood or metal studs. Option #2 would be to frame in a hard lid (ceiling). Option #3 would be to run posts in the framing all the way up to the joists to break wall span down (these would have to be solid members from floor to joist).
This should be specified in the plans.

Why no ceiling?
I understand if it is in the middle of the sales floor and you don't want to build up to the joists, and that you don't want wires for t-bar visible.
I am assuming the building is sprinklered, don't make the mistake of thinking by leaving the ceiling open that you won't have to move a few sprinkler heads around because wall placement and height will play into the coverage as well, but this would also be specified in the plans.

Since this is a commercial project, even adding non bearing walls will in most cases require a set of stamped plans. The city will not want the liability of approving any type of over the counter type permit due to public safety concerns dealing with fire safety. (At least in my experience this has been the case).

That is very good advice.

Andy.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 500

Are you allowed to drill holes in the floor to cantilever the wall uprights? Even a 1" dia. steel tube vertically in a hole is pretty strong.

I can't imagine these walls having to resist more than a 200 pound lateral force at 5' height so it's 1000 lb-ft of torque on the base of the cantilevered uprights, plus the downward force due to the weight per foot of the partitions.

How much lateral force in PSI can ordinary drywall resist, let's say with 16" O.C. studs? Can you push though it with your 8 sq. in. fist?
Let's say somebody rams the wall with a desk, 8 SF cross-sectional area, 30" high?

Last edited by GettingBy; 08-25-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
I eat sawdust.

Trade: Deck Design/Build
Rewards Points: 2,000

no ceiling to save on lighting, venting, sprinklers, or whatever else may be required?

14' is not long, but 56' wall will need something, I would think. I would say to either tie it back horizontally to a solid wall or with the kickers like suggested above, whatever is easier/closer.

This ones was dang sturdy with just the stiffeners, but I think it was only 10x10 and two walls...

Last edited by Winchester; 08-25-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 500

To test your final product against a benchmark you need a storm door snubber spring, a rigid plate, a ruler, a string, a standard issue wall in your house and a scale.

Put the plate between the spring and the wall at 5' height or so over a stud, push horiz. on the spring and measure the wall deflection with a string and the spring deflection with a ruler. These stiff springs have a K factor of about 40 pounds per inch.

Record the wall deflection and the height.
Push the spring down against a scale until you get the same spring compression and read the pounds.

Compare your new wall compliance with your standard issue house wall compliance. Modify the new wall as needed.

Drywall mounted on the new wall prevents the studs from twisting so it adds to the stiffness.

Last edited by GettingBy; 08-25-2011 at 01:49 PM.