Log Cabin Addition

Old 02-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,150

Log Cabin Addition

This was a neat project. The addition was set on steel columns to allow access to the cellar door which is nested between two terraced walls.The roof framing is 4x10 roughsawn cedar. A 3/4" dado was plowed 3" down from top to allow for 2" ridgid foam insulation and 1" air space under plywood. Dado received cedar 1x6 T&G v-groove planks. Siding was custom milled to simulate board and batton. Logs were channeled out to receive 2x6 wall framing and eventually were cut away to allow access to room. Framed, roofed, sided and trimmed this one and did foundation piers/ columns which were eventually boxed in by homeowner.

Last edited by loneframer; 08-15-2009 at 06:58 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
Maker of fine kindling

Trade: cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 2,210
Send a message via Yahoo to Gus Dering

Re: Log Cabin Addition

That would have looked really cool with a couple girder logs holding up the floor system.
Have you ever worked with logs?

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
KemoSabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Dering View Post
That would have looked really cool with a couple girder logs holding up the floor system.
Have you ever worked with logs?
Never had the oportunity, although I grew up with a guy whos father built Ward log cabins. Never hooked up though. This was another scenario of homeowner design. I can't recall ever looking at a drawing. It was permitted for sure 'cause we had a pier footing inspection.Wasn't around for the others though.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,000

How did you deal with the movement issue where the framing abuts against the logs?
From where does knowledge come? If you need to know what is in a box, you could ask someone (not reliable), you could pray, (not useful), you can consult with the scripture (not helpful) or you could open the box (science)
The Following User Says Thank You to reveivl For This Useful Post:
Gus Dering (02-28-2009)
Old 02-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
KemoSabe

All the logs were hewn flat with a chainsaw, chisels, etc.Foam sill sealer was applied to reduce drafts, then abutting framing members were lag screwed to logs at approx. 16" centers. The existing cabin was around 20 years old and had pretty much stabilized. Addition floor framing was 12" TJIs with web packing at connecting point at cabin. Counter flashing was let into logs at about a 10 degree bevel and bytyl rubber sealant was used to embed. The interior photo was taken a couple years after completion when I was asked back to estimate a shed dormer on the front of the cabin, but ho health issues prevented the project. No apparent issues with movement and no complaints.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Maker of fine kindling

Trade: cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 2,210
Send a message via Yahoo to Gus Dering

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
Never had the oportunity, although I grew up with a guy whos father built Ward log cabins. Never hooked up though. This was another scenario of homeowner design. I can't recall ever looking at a drawing. It was permitted for sure 'cause we had a pier footing inspection.Wasn't around for the others though.
Don't shy away from a hybrid job if you get the chance. I think you would love doing stuff like this.
Once you get your mind to think center line of log, as opposed to striking lines on the edge of dimensional lumber, working with logs is really fun.

Since you love pictures here is a few.
Have you ever read a book without the pop up pictures?
Log cabin addition-windham-kitchen-003.jpg

Log cabin addition-windham-kitchen-006.jpgAttachment 16061

Log cabin addition-copleted-roof.jpg
Old 02-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
KemoSabe

Cool stuff Gus, I would jump at the chance to do a log job, heck, it is an excuse to tool up right?
As far as popup books, they are still far and away my favorite. I'm thinking about trying to get a framing techniques book deal, just working out the bugs now. How to get a 128th scale balsa wood structure to fold flat for example.

Advertisement