Jack Posts For Wood Beam

Old 03-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
Preserving the Past

Trade: Restoration & Historic Preservation
Send a message via Skype™ to Jason Whipple
Question

Jack Posts For Wood Beam

I've been looking around locally for a good jack post to put under an existing 8 x 8 wood beam. The problem I see with the ones I can get locally is that the pin you would use to screw upwards to lift the beam is only about 3/4" and the plate that goes on top of it is very thin and will not transfer the weight to the plate. I know this because I happend to use two of them on my own house a few years ago and the plate has bent at the outside corners alowing the beam to settle down and the pin to press into the beam about 3/8".

Is there a good adjustable post out there that I could use to lift this wood beam without this type of results? I need to lift the beam about 1/2" with the post and leave it there.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
Preserving the Past

Re: Jack Posts For Wood Beam

OK, Maybe a better question would be, is there a proven way to avoid this dimpling affect in a wood beam when useing these types of posts?

Old 03-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Well, you might already know, but you're not supposed to leave them there, but enough mothering already! I'd say some thicker steel. 1/4", maybe 3/8". local yard might have some scraps they'd let you pilfer. Bigger the piece the better on my house.

Have you tried bottle jacks? That's what I've used.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 03-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Repair & Restoration Contractor and Specialty Graphics/Sign Installer

Jason,

I have mine made at a local welding shop. i get whatever length, size, base, whatever i need for usually about $50 each. usually only takes a day to get them. the two piece units aren't nearly strong enough. i usually get them to weld a nut so i can turn with a wrench instead just a hole drilled in the allthread.

i also bought some adjustable posts from Waco scaffolding years ago, very cheap, used them many times for different structural repairs. also cut a few of them off for use in a crawl space. they've paid for themselves several times over.

Tin Cup
Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
HouseWright

Trade: Designer/Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason W View Post
Is there a good adjustable post out there that I could use to lift this wood beam without this type of results? I need to lift the beam about 1/2" with the post and leave it there.
There is a big difference in quality on these TEMPORARY jack posts, but I would use a screw jack and place a permanent post under that beam.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

I bought some extra base plates (1/4..5/16?)
at the masonry supply where I get permanent
columns made.
Have used them dozens of times for temp
supports and with bottle jacks, jackposts,
you name it.
I like to use two jack posts, one on
each side of the location for the permanent
post, then slide the "real" post in between
when the beam is back up to grade.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: carpenter

Hi guys if I read this right your complaining about the bruising on the timber.Why not place a bruising piece between the timber and the jack be for you jack it up a strip of ply 8`` or wider by 1foot say,this would take the the bruise and not the timber.Is it that simple or may be I`am just thick.Neoltic with his 2 jacks is right but this might involve 2 pieces of ply wood.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Preserving the Past

It could be that I'm calling it by the wrong name. These are permenant posts. I saw one in a customers finished basement the other day. It looks just like a jack post, but definatly a little thicker looking has the holes through the two adjustable parts of the post were you put the pin in. The top has a screw thread that is a lot thicker than a jack post. Not much different at all from a jack post, but the flange on top of the treaded part is much thicker steel and hasn't bent at all, unlike the ones in my basement. My customers house was built in the 1950's and the floor was poured around it.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
Preserving the Past

I found an interesting report on the differences between permanent and temporary adjustable steel posts.

Apparently, even though I've seen many used as permanent post, jack posts are not for permanent use (not that I doubted you framerman).

This article clearly defines the differences and what you should look for when using a permanent, adjustable, steel column.

http://www.octoberhome.com/articles/...ustcolumn.html
Old 03-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: property manager & renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason W View Post
I found an interesting report on the differences between permanent and temporary adjustable steel posts.

Apparently, even though I've seen many used as permanent post, jack posts are not for permanent use (not that I doubted you framerman).

This article clearly defines the differences and what you should look for when using a permanent, adjustable, steel column.

http://www.octoberhome.com/articles/...ustcolumn.html
You could always move to Canada - it's not far from Vermont. From the article:

Itís Different In Canada The NBC (National Building Code) of Canada requires that adjustable steel columns conform to Article number CAN/CGSB-7.2-94 entitled "Adjustable Steel Columns" which allows single tube adjustable columns and telescopic adjustable columns, even at tube diameters of less than 3 inches (76 mm). Four Canadian manufactures of telescopic adjustable columns have submitted proof to the CCMC that they meet the article's structural requirements. In Canada, it is important to check that the column has a label to distinguish them from temporary columns.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:50 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: property manager & renovator

I took the stock plates to my local welding shop. Had 'em cut over-sized plates out of 1/4" steel and tack weld the stock ones centered on them. Don't drill-through the screw jack hole, only the anchor holes. Cost ~$7 a piece, and you end up with 1/2" of rigid steel and a large support surface area.