I-joist Newbie Question - Framing - Contractor Talk

I-joist Newbie Question

Old 03-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #1

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 10

I-joist Newbie Question

Ok everyone, new guy here with a question. Here's my background first. We were our own GC for building our house in Houston. House turned out great. I built a detached garge that is 30'x60'. My question is with the garage.

Here's some info on the garage. It's 2x4 exterior walls 10' high. The rafters are 2x6. It's a hip roof. The front pitch is 7:10 and the sides are 10:12 pitch. The ceiling joists are BCI400's 11 7/8". It's a free span of 30' Here's my dilemma. The framers bevel cut the I-joists beyond the face of the wall to accomidate the rafter pitch.

Now since this was my first house I didn't realize you aren't supposed to bevel cut these joists beyond the face of the wall until after the project was over and since I'm the GC, I have no one to blame but myself.

I want to insulate and drywall the inside of this garage. But want to make sure that these joists are safe to do so. There are 40 of them at 16" centers.

I know I need to contact an engineer but am looking for opinions and experience from here ONLY. Not looking to hold anyone liable for suggestions or opinions. I am including photos as well. What are the implications for bevel cutting? I drew up the plans for this garage and gave them to my lumber supplier and they gave me the take off for the lumber. I do not know if they calculated any type of loads, but they originally had me putting decking up there for the attic. I never put that in. As I said I am responsible. Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
I-joist newbie question-house_-113-.jpg   I-joist newbie question-house_-116-.jpg   I-joist newbie question-house_-135-.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 09:08 PM   #2

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 10

Re: I-joist Newbie Question

2 more pictures. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
I-joist newbie question-house_-136-.jpg   I-joist newbie question-house_-144-.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,900

Re: I-joist Newbie Question

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractor's to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page