How Much Weight Can A 8' 2x4 Stud Hold?

Old 05-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #1

Trade: Framer from head to toe!!!
Rewards Points: 25

How Much Weight Can A 8' 2x4 Stud Hold?

Does anybody know where I can find specs or ratings on common construction material? lumber nails ect...

I was asked the other day whats the shear strength of a joist
hangar nail. I have no Idea and when I looked it up All I could find was a bunch of other questions about common construction material that for the most part were unanswered.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 2,146

Re: How Much Weight Can A 8' 2x4 Stud Hold?

you can probably find that info the website for the american lumber association, or whatever their calling themselves these day, other wise ask a engineera at a mill

as for hangers and such, its probably on simpson strongtie's site or in their little catalogue near the hangers at the lumber yard

Old 05-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Wood Butcher

Trade: Remodels/Custom Cabinets/Granite Countertops
Rewards Points: 500

heres a link from USPs site with a shear value table http://www.uspconnectors.com/nails.shtml. I guess a guy would have to check every manufacture depending on whos joist hanger nail. I am sure they are close to the same though. As far as lumber have you checked the AWC website?

Last edited by bhock; 05-23-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailerconstruct View Post
Does anybody know where I can find specs or ratings on common construction material? lumber nails ect...

I was asked the other day whats the shear strength of a joist
hangar nail. I have no Idea and when I looked it up All I could find was a bunch of other questions about common construction material that for the most part were unanswered.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=92870&page=1

"CSEllc (Structural)
27 May 04 0:47
Check out this Tech Note published by the WWPA. http://www.wwpa.org/pdf/TN1.pdf

According to this publication, assuming 2x4 DF-L STUD grade at 16"oc, with an 8 ft. wall height, and a 20 psf wind load. Than maximum allowable axial load on the wall is approximately 1100 pounds. "
Old 05-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolitic View Post
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=92870&page=1

"CSEllc (Structural)
27 May 04 0:47
Check out this Tech Note published by the WWPA. http://www.wwpa.org/pdf/TN1.pdf

According to this publication, assuming 2x4 DF-L STUD grade at 16"oc, with an 8 ft. wall height, and a 20 psf wind load. Than maximum allowable axial load on the wall is approximately 1100 pounds. "
No way is that a finger jointed stud
Old 05-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
Champion Thread Derailer

Trade: Home Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,512

There are several manufactures who list their specific data and have such readily available to mail to you, or online, or through a distributor. But in regards to any mechanical connectors, keep in mind the moisture content of the wood effects the strength of the mechanical connection. For instance, bolts and nails are 10 to 20 percent weaker in wet wood than in seasoned lumber. The hardness and density of the wood also effect the strength of connections.

In regards to lumber, there are several things to take into consideration when calculating loads and/or stresses on various wood building components (i.e., what is the intended use, the species of lumber, the modulus of elasticity, moment of inertia, live + dead + wind + seismic loads, and the list goes on depending upon the intended use). But one should always consult your local building code since it will dictate many calculations required in your locale. However, you may find the following link to the public domain USDA Wood Handbook helpful.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp.../fplgtr113.pdf
Old 05-25-2010, 12:12 AM   #7

Trade: Framer from head to toe!!!
Rewards Points: 25

Thats exactly what I was looking for. These are all great links Thanks to everybody.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
Civil / Structural PE

Trade: Software and business coaching
Rewards Points: 75

Here's a subject about which no one is more passionate than me.

What IS the shear strength of a joist hanger nail? The answer is so frigging complicated you wouldn't believe it. It depends on the nail diameter, embedment, species of wood, moisture content, gauge of metal, duration of applied load, and probably the brand of underwear you have on. In round numbers an 8d is good for about 100 lbs in shear and a 16d goes to about 150. But the bigger question is, how do you apply that information?

Regarding the load capacity of an 8' stud, again, the analysis is insanely complicated. You might find published data such as Neolitic found but I think your best bet is to check it with software. I discuss this very topic and actually show you how to design a stud in my latest book.

There's a lot of technical data out there but unless you understand the underlying concepts, your chances of misapplication are huge. My brother for example, a seasoned contractor with a masters degree and about 30 years under his belt, and who's been a student of the industry his whole life, still goofs basic structural issues.

I started out as a framer then went on to become an engineer. Along the way I realized that builders, designers, and code officials need someone who's been in their shoes to teach them what's really going on with a structure. That's precisely why I've written three books on the subject and teach seminars. If you're serious about learning I'd love to be the guy to teach you. Check me out by clicking on my name next to my avatar.

Last edited by loneframer; 05-27-2010 at 06:45 PM.