HELP Need Advice For A Sagging Beam

Old 04-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #1

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 25

HELP Need Advice For A Sagging Beam

The main steel beam of my home is sagging 1/4" to 1/2" about the last third of the beam. Is it worth will to fix a 1/4 ti 1/2 sag?
It seem's to be caused by a few issues. First, the end of the beam meets another beam perpedicular. The main beam is attached to the other via some L-brackets. THere is a column under the other beam, the the l brackets seem to have dropped over time. The other issue seems to be too much weight on one column which is bowing. My thought were two jack up these two points with screw jacks. I would replace the bowed column. Then I was going to pour a new footing mid-way between these two points for an additional column. Possible a 2nd new column at the intersetion of these two beams. Although maybe new brackets would do the job. Any thoughts our advice. The beam is like a 6x3 steel beam circa 1958. Probably equal to 2 2x10's today.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement