Help With Hip Roof Supports?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
Wood Recycling Master

Trade: High End Timberframing
Rewards Points: 10

Help With Hip Roof Supports?

Hello! I have 2 projects on the go. One is a Japanese style 4 hip roof. The size is 14'x 20'
By looking at the framing pictures, do you think the roof needs additional framing to support the snow loads? I do not want to use collar ties, or ceiling joists. I want the roof to be all exposed.

Same thing with the chicken coop example. The reference picture shows 3 laminated 2x6's placed in the center of the building to act as a post for support where the two roofs meet. Any suggestions how I can get around not having this post right in the middle of the room? Again, I want the roof to be exposed without any ceiling joists or collar ties. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS. The first picture is the coop i am building. Please note i have not drawn the gable end framing yet which will obviously support the ridge beams.

The second picture is the coop design i am using for a reference. Note the 2x6 beam in the center of the room to support the 2 roofs.

the last picture is the japanese hip roof.
Attached Thumbnails
help with hip roof supports?-coop12.jpg   help with hip roof supports?-chicken-coop.jpg   help with hip roof supports?-garden-shed.jpg  

Last edited by WT Timberworks; 02-06-2010 at 12:07 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
solar guy

Trade: solar contracting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Help With Hip Roof Supports?

Simple
Replace the triple 2x6's and replace with an adequately sized ridge beam capable of supporting the rafters and the point load of the intersecting roof over the span.
If you are truly a master timber framer than you should have known this already

Old 02-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
Wood Recycling Master

i did know, it was just a test. And what about the 4 hip roof there smarty pants?
Old 02-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

High end timberframing should have some engineering calculating fees in the budget, GMOD.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
Wood Recycling Master

haha! Usually it does, a big budget. just not for my private stuff. Im no master timberframer haha. Only been doing the timberframing for 5 months so far.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Go to the intro page, intoduce yourself to the community, complete your profile, tell us a little about your proffesional exp. That gable design will def drop without that ridge support, you need a structural ridge to be calced if you want no collar ties or ridge supports. The hip could work with the properly sized ridge and hip rafters, but again the loads should be done by an architect, not an internet forum,, nice website, welcome to CT< GMOD
Old 02-06-2010, 01:20 AM   #7
Wood Recycling Master

Im pretty sure the rafters and ridge in the hip is big enough. The ridge is 4x8 and the rafters are all 5x5. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #8
Sure, I can do that...

Trade: carpentry/renovations
Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to jlhaslip

You need to support the ridge or include tie beams. No other way will work.
The rafters will push out on the walls and the system will fail without one or the other. Promise.

You might get it to work, or appear to work, but over time, it will fail without a supported ridge or tie beams.

Looks to me like you are building with 2 by material? Where is the TF work there?

http://tfguild.com
and check out the Historic Truss pdf's.
http://www.tfguild.org/publications/...ictrusses.html
Old 02-06-2010, 01:44 AM   #9
Wood Recycling Master

Yea correct, the chicken coop is doubled up 2x8 ridge beam and 2x6 rafters 2 foot on center. I guess I will have to use that center posts after all. I am building tomorrow you see, so thats why I wanted to post thoughts tonight about it. I plan on covering the floor with linoleum and wanted to roll it up and pull it out to clean without having a seam for that post. Oh well.

As for the hip roof. The entire roof system is all douglas Fir. Planed, sanded, stained. 5x5 rafters all exposed, 4x8 ridge and hip rafters, t & G on top. Not really Timberframed, but just the look of it. I thought it would fail, so maybe ill cut costs and stick frame it with ceiling joists and just stub out the 5x5 rafter tails so it looks nice from the outside and not the inside. It will save huge money on the soffit material as well.

Last edited by WT Timberworks; 02-06-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:55 AM   #10
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Timberworks View Post
i did know, it was just a test. And what about the 4 hip roof there smarty pants?
So far, 2 out of the 3 pictures you show have no hips. So as far as I'm concerned....

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractor's to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook