Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Framing Knee Wall with Metal Studs

14K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ribuilder 
#1 ·
Hi, I just want your opinions on how to go about building a small knee wall (3' high, 6' long) for an office. The office has metal stud framing so to build a knee wall with wood framing and secure it to the existing wall with metal framing would be difficult. I just want to make sure its sturdy and need some tips on how to go about doing this. Thank you

#3 ·
Hi, I just want your opinions on how to go about building a small knee wall (3' high, 6' long) for an office. The office has metal stud framing so to build a knee wall with wood framing and secure it to the existing wall with metal framing would be difficult. I just want to make sure its sturdy and need some tips on how to go about doing this. Thank you
Why would that be difficult, it might not be up to code, but I can't see how it would be difficult. If you want the wall to be sturdy toss in a couple of X's.

#4 ·
You can use wood or metal just make sure that you secure the new wall to the existing wall securely. You may have to open the exist. and block between the studs to attach the new to. Also the end of the new wall should be secure to the floor with metal hardware (Simpson) if you use wood 4x4.
There are lots of other techniques as well.
I have saw cut out for 4x4 P.T. end post and poured Rapid-set in the new footing to secure the end.
Depends on how sturdy it should be.
Just don't ask what the price should be.

Andy.

#5 ·
I agree with RI builder. But i will tell you this, you can put a piece of metal angle in the wall at the un attached end. Bolt to the floor and end stud. Or you if it is a wood framed floor you can run 2 end studs into the floor and attach to floor joists or bridging, i've done that with good results.
As Far as attaching wood studs to metal being difficult, that just comes with experience and blocking:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.