Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Flat roof reframing - How long?

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Grumpy 
#1 · (Edited)
I've got a contract to replace a flat roof on a 2 story residence. However we may or may not be restructuring the framing for a possible roof deck.

I got a drawing from the engineer with his proposed changes for restructuring. I feel we are more than capable, but my foreman is telling me that I am being overly optimistic in my estimate of how long it will take. Since this is not something that we do every day, don't have much baseline for gauging time. I'm making educated guesses.

I've already made a material list, just have to add on my labor. I'm strictly wondering how long you think it would take to restructure and resheat. Any ideas?

Short summarized scope of work:
Sister aprox 30 rafters 22' each with 14" microlams.
Install ledger at each 2 walls 45' each. You will see the engineer specified steel with a wood nailer, but we changed that steel to 2 2x10's and no nailer.
Tie-in rafters to ceiling joists at front of building.
resheat with 3/4" cdx.

Roof is aprox 22'x45'.

This link is for the engineer report. I tried to upload it but it exceeds the file size allotment. http://reliableamerican.us/temp/111134 2011-05-09 2073 W Greenleaf S1.pdf

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Grumpy, if this is not what you do on a regular basis & your foreman is skeptical of the labor time...

Perhaps you should sit down with him & go over your labor quote & get a feel for what he is skeptical about. Maybe between the two of you he'll understand the job better & you'll see what's bugging him & maybe see if you goofed.

Good Luck:thumbsup:

#3 ·
He and I have, we came up with much different guesses. In my mind I can't see it taking as long as he thinks it will take. I am figuring abotu half as long as he is figuring. I'm more than happy to share the number, but I don't want to poision the responses.

He and I have talked it through down to the exact number of holes that will need to be drilled. He seems to think it will take twice as long as I, which is signifigant. What I don't want to happen is submit a bid being overly optimistic and have a negative profit for it.

He and I agree what needs to be done, we just can't agree on how long it'll take. truth be told, we've been in this situation many times before with other type work. Sometimes he's right, sometimes I am right. I figure it's time to get a 3rd opinion.

#4 ·
Site conditions come into play. Room to work? How high in the air? etc.

I could give you an estimate based on my experience, but remember we are framers and do it every day, or did it every day.

My thoughts are with an experienced 5 maN CREW, YOU will have approx 45 hours into this. +-

#7 ·
About 20' up. Nothing out of the ordinary. I figure predrill all the through holes on the ground to the engineer's pattern before lifting the microlams and cutting them to size. There should be plenty of room to work IMO if we are stripping all the existing roof boards, put some plywood over the ceiling joists for a place to sit/kneel. If need be I could get a crane on the job, but I think that'd be overkill and a crane day costs almost as much as a crew day.

Framer 53, so I understand your 45 hours for 5 men is bascially a 9 hour day. Correct?

I figured 5 man crew 2 man days, so about 16-20 crew hours or 80-100 total man hours not counting the actual roofing work after which is a breeze.

My foreman figured about 3-4 crew days which I think is just scared talk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.