Draft Stops And Fire Blocking

Old 03-11-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
Custom Builder

Trade: General Contractor

Draft Stops And Fire Blocking

So today I had a super pull me into a conversation between the hvac sub and himself about a draft stop. The area was an hvac chase that runs from first floor deck to second floor joist. Ive always been called on and been under the impression from reading the code book that all floor ceiling and attic penetrations have to be draft stopped. The hvac guy interpeted the code as saying he only had to fire stop if he cut thru the second floor decking. Ive always draft stopped all ceiling,tub decks, fireplace decks and ceilings where the cavity is not filled with insulation. The reason I do it that way is that's the way I under stand the code to read and Ive had inspectors call it both ways. In draft stopping I've always found better to have it in before than fight it after. So does a chase need to be draft stopped at the ceiling line of the first floor if it does not continue through floor?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-12-2010, 05:17 AM   #2
Money Changer

Trade: Residential Remodeling

Re: Draft Stops And Fire Blocking

I think the object of draft stopping is to prevent fire spread into the enclosed space above created by the chase penetration. If the chase penetrates the top plate but not the 2nd floor subfloor, you still have created a pathway that could allow access up the wall, past the top plate, and onto and into the joist bay of the 2nd floor.

As far as code references, can't help you there but I've done plenty of it over the years to know what most inspectors are looking for.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpentry & Remodeling

Can the chase be isolated or contained with fire code rock so that it does not access a floor or wall cavity? Because even though the decking wasnt cut, it cannot go into a floor cavity( Joist bay,wall bay...) I think if you can keep the chase isolated you will be ok.

Last edited by D.Foster; 03-12-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
Custom Builder

Got my framing inspection today. I was right, he was wrong. After going through about 80% of the house we came to the little hvac chase. Guess what he wanted it firestopped. I laughed and told him the story. Hes going to talk to the other inspector for not calling it on the hvac inspect. I would have put a firestop in but it was such a small chase I figured it would hinder the hvac guys more than help them.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpentry & Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubenhad4 View Post
Got my framing inspection today. I was right, he was wrong. After going through about 80% of the house we came to the little hvac chase. Guess what he wanted it firestopped. I laughed and told him the story. Hes going to talk to the other inspector for not calling it on the hvac inspect. I would have put a firestop in but it was such a small chase I figured it would hinder the hvac guys more than help them.
I stopped thinkin about the hvac guy a loooong time ago. Does he think about you???Did the hvac guy frame the chase?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
Custom Builder

I always fire stop and draft stop everything as i said earlier. Teach me on this one, we work together alot so we do sorta look out for each other. This was a one foot chase with an 8 inch pipe in it, was making is easier on him. Oh well he fixed it yesterday and still is grumbling. I told him ill make sure to block everything next time if its going to turn into a pissing match. Now the super and builder are on his butt cause he argued.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
Team Sawzall!!

Trade: Home Builder/ Light Commercial Builder

We usually wait till the inspector points out what he wants because we don't get the same opinion everytime.