Common Rafter Length - SpreadSheet

Old 11-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,390

Common Rafter Length - SpreadSheet

If you have excel or can open 97-2003+ excel files check out this link...

CommonRafter Zip File

Used a similar one, much more detialed, way back in the late 80's... lotus123 in DOS.

It may be a help to some. Ask questions as needed, call me a dumb if you choose- Been called much worse for even suggesting such a notion as a spread sheet, when all you need is some string, an afternoon and a few extra 2x12s to figure 'em out

Will keep the file active as long as there is interest, if any

Let me know if there are any errors....been known to not check my math (or spelling) to well.

Cheers

Last edited by Texas Wax; 11-29-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
SEMI RETIRED

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,392

Re: Common Rafter Length - SpreadSheet

Now make it available as an App....

Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
Framer

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post

CommonRafter Zip File

Used a similar one, much more detialed, way back in the late 80's... lotus123 in DOS.

It may be a help to some. Ask questions as needed, call me a dumb if you choose- Been called much worse for even suggesting such a notion as a spread sheet, when all you need is some string, an afternoon and a few extra 2x12s to figure 'em out

Let me know if there are any errors....been known to not check my math (or spelling) to well.

Cheers
too well*
Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FramingPro View Post
too well*

Old 12-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post

CommonRafter Zip File

Cheers
Tx Wx,

That's a simple enough start. You can go sleepless crazy with excel and rafter/roof calculations.

Now to clean it up and make it work with Imperial dims, like found on the plans, all entered into a single cell. (i.e.; Span = 20' 6-1/2")

Calculate H/V Rafter lengths, also Hip and Valley jacks, for both Regular and Irregular Pitches, backing bevels, sheathing cuts, and compile the material list.

Also;

. . . Knee Wall heights, offsets, and related Rafter Length differences, unequal and equal overhangs for Irregulars, California/Sleeper valleys and jacks, Salt Box roofs, Irregular plan angles, Broken Hips, Ridge lengths, intersecting sheds, etc, etc, . . . all while keeping it clean and printable, organized, and w/o excesive info overloading . . .

Have Fun!

And thanks for sharing. More please. Share your progress?
Old 12-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Residential remodel
Rewards Points: 610

My Swanson Speed Square book will pretty much give all the lengths I need on the job.
I'm curious about the usefulness of an excel formula for this. Is it to double check everything? Does the book not give enough information?
If it was an app I might be able to use on my blackberry I might see some benefit from it. Just curious.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjconstructs For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (12-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Pro

Birch

Imperial entry in spread sheets, haven't found how to break numbers out of a fractional entry. Although it is possible in data bases and general programming/scripting.

LOL between you and Griz. you s, got me thinking. The technology is there but the wetware (me) needs a programming update.

RJ

Hell you don't even really need a swanson speed square book, from your little 6" (speed square - Just joking). Every thing you need for cutting roofs is on a framing square. Most would hope a framer has one. Man that sounds snarky - not meant to be so...sure y'all have a big 12" (speedsqaure)

What sent me to the spreadsheet originally was roofs that had 3-4 different pitches that had to tie seamlessly into one ridge. One in particular that had 4 pitches and three different roofing systems. Common rafters into a 2x ridge, truss and 38' long 30" TJI into a triple 36" Microlam on one side and common 2x rafters of the other. And to kick it all off the cut portions where open ceiling loft areas. I like a challenge, that's what kept me with this builder-I didn't complain I just did. And of course this thing called a computer.

Easy as all get out to draw for the designer a royal body and mind in the field.

One Theory ridge line for all roofs that take into account different pitches, rafter width, seat cut - HAP- change in sectional dimensions of sheeting due to pitch, different spans and different wall heights....and only enough TJI's to cut one span. The long hand math, even with a calculator or rafter tables, was mind numbing to tie it all together. If "I" chose to figure all the math was only going to do it once - in the spreadsheet and use that template in the future to save my brain cells and time for the tavern....ah the good old days lol

This spreadsheet thinking is a preference and a time management tool. Eliminating the 'arse' staring factor has always been a mission. You know 1-3 framers staring at the arse of the lead while he spends hours a day figuring 'it' out. To 'me' if it could be figured out prior to the days work, I was always man hours ahead on production. A preference and choice to work smart and not stupid hard at fitting- lifting, cutting, lifting cutting....first rafter fit from the spreadsheet calculations they all fit, if the wall framing was straight & dimensionally tight. of course that's the 'difference' in how framers go about framing and value of things such as spreadsheets

Not a judgement of how anybody frames. Bottom line generally is we all get paid the same relative dollar and if the client is satisfied, is there any extra $$$ bonus for perfection????? After hanging rock and doing finish carpentry in new residential...framing is almost 'always' rough. Only advantage, if needed and chosen to a spreadsheet, is about keeping guns shooting and eliminating errors. AKA maximizing production.

Last edited by Texas Wax; 12-01-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjconstructs View Post
My Swanson Speed Square book will pretty much give all the lengths I need on the job.
I'm curious about the usefulness of an excel formula for this. Is it to double check everything? Does the book not give enough information?
If it was an app I might be able to use on my blackberry I might see some benefit from it. Just curious.
What happens if you come upon a situation that isn't covered in the book?

Learn the math and you will not need a book.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch View Post

Tx Wx,

That's a simple enough start. You can go sleepless crazy with excel and rafter/roof calculations.
A couple years ago I went a little nutty with excel,I started making spread-sheets for eyebrow dormers barrel-vault ceilings and a bunch of things i've never done and propably will never do.

Last edited by jackrafter; 12-01-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrafter View Post
A couple years ago I went a little nutty with excel,I started making spread-sheets for eyebrow dormers barrel-vault ceilings and a bunch of things i've never done and propably will never do.
Never hurts to dream
Old 12-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #11

Trade: Residential Framing
Rewards Points: 25

Spread sheets? Sounds efficient. What did you have on them?
Old 12-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #12

Trade: Residential Framing
Rewards Points: 25

I just read above on this thread, I got it.