Best Cell Phone?

Old 02-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 150

Best Cell Phone?

If you guys are anything like me cell phones don't last too long especially keeping them in the nail bag. Wondering what you guys have, and how long they have lasted. The cell phone insurance is a scam, and am sick of buying them off the internet. So guys, what have you got? Pros and cons? Cheers Stu.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Best Cell Phone?

I bought a palm treo 755 last summer. The thing is awesome, it fits well in one of the smaller front pockets on my workbelt, and is as durable as a smartphone can be. Also, I got the insurance through Sprint on it for $5/month and it was the best decision I have ever made. I threw my phone at a cab that came inches from running me over in Boston on New Years and only had to pay a $50 surcharge and I got a brand new one in 2 days. Then 2 weeks later I lost it in FL on vacation and had another brand new one 2 days after that. For a $600 phone, I would say $50 per replacement is a steal.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Palisade Point Const.

Trade: Remodeling/Finish/Framing/Log
Rewards Points: 1,000

I have a Casio G'z one, which is only offered by verizon. It's the ruggedized water and shock resistant one, aimed at contractors, extreme sports enthusiasts, and anyone else that's really hard on a cell phone. It's a pretty simple phone, but what it does, it does very very well. I'm really hard on cell phones, and after 6 months, most of this phone still looks new (other than the deep scratches on the bottom and bumper from multiple 10'+ drops). The camera takes pretty good photos, and the phone pulls in reception when no one around me can. The battery lasts for ever, and you can turn on the camera flash LED to use it as a fairly impressive flashlight. It's big and clunky, but over all, it works.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Fentoozler

Trade: Professional Pie and Pastry Taster
Rewards Points: 2,000

Whatever phone I have goes in the left thigh pocket of my pants:

I used 1 phone(Samsung SCH-A950) for 2.5 years:

....only reason I got a new phone was because the speakers finally crapped out from playing mp3's on it all the time.

The new phone is a LG 8700:

Whatever phone get lifespan will be shortened by mingling with nails, dust and crap in a nail bag.

I'm not a big fan of having NASA available at my finger tips, so for me a "Smart Phone" is not an issue. I need just the basics....but with some flash

The UD is quite possibly man kinds finest accomplishment.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrician
Rewards Points: 75

Try searching for 'rugged' here http://howardforums.com/ This is a must-have go-to place for phone and carrier information

You can even search under your carrier, or specific makes.

Last edited by Sportbilly; 02-27-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 02-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
Palisade Point Const.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic View Post
Whatever phone I have goes in the left thigh pocket of my pants:

Mine goes in the smaller one on the right side. I swing a hammer with my left, so I use the hammer loop on occasion, so I don't really use the pocket under the loop. The nice thing about the big clunky phone is that it doesn't fall out of my pocket, and it holds the 6" channel locks in the pocket behind it in as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to TempestV For This Useful Post:
nEighter (07-10-2009)
Old 02-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Plumbing

Back in the late 90's (96-97) I had an nokia phone that took one heck of a beating. I was out riding my motorcycle (96 suzuki 750) with some buddie heading to our loacl hang out. I busted a wheelie and my tank bag wasn't zipped closed and my phone came out and hit the road about 90mph ( I had no clue I losted it until my buddy pulled up and asked if I lost something.)
It got some major road rash, But I turned it on and it worked like the day I bought it. (Just didn't look as pretty)

I just wish I can find another phone with that kind of quality.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Lic. GC/Remodr - Commercial/Residential/Industrial

I got a Samsung SCH-i760 about 4 months ago.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...SCH-I760ZKAVZW

Great phone. PDA style. Touch screen. Not like the jumbo sized PDA's, this one is smaller.

You can do hand written notes using a stylus (that you can pull out of the side of the phone).
Basically, you always have a pen and paper with this phone. I can take measurements, dimensions, material descriptions, prices, etc - and save it on the phone, like a palmsize notepad. You can save the info. You can make the phone transcribe your notes.

Has, 1.3 mp built in camera. Speaker phone.

Slides open to reveal a full key pad, tho you can pull up a key pad on the screen and use the stylus.

It has a Windows-mobile operating system. You can use/download/transfer excel and word programs.

You can wirelessly download and transfer files from/to your desktop.

You can program it to recieve up to 7 email accounts. The emails come directly to the phone. It beeps, you can read the email immediately, like a text message.

It is blue tooth enabled, and Wi-fi capable (internet access). When you get online, the screens (websites) look just like what is on your desktop.

I keep it in a brown leather phone case (with belt clip) that I got at lowes for cheap.

Definitely an asset for the needs of my business, tho, it may be overkill for others...

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst; 02-27-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:49 AM   #9
Roofing Sage

Trade: Thoroughbred Roofer

Without a doubt, the Nextel i580!
-Waterproof
-Shockproof
-Dropproof
-Goofproof
-MP3
-Great speaker
-Mansized
-1.3 MP Camera & Video
-Bluetooth
-Internet
-Calender
-Great Directory
-Mini SD Chip
-GPS
-Cell Phone + Direct Connect Radio

It's encased in all rubber,
is easy to grip,
easy to dial the numbers (even with gloves on),
is weather proof,
and is built to Military Specification.

It is the best phone for contractors.

What's it like? Like a Stanley Fat Max Extreme tape measure.

i580 Video Test

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2011141,00.asp
Ken Hendricks

Last edited by 2ndGen; 02-28-2008 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Framing

I just got the i580 and i love it. You dont have to worry about haviong it in your pocket and crushing it while you work.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpentry/ Home Improvements

Motorola IC602 the hybrid with the camera. has the same features as the i580
but its a hybrid so I don't lose signal as much up here in Pennsyltucky. And the charger is a mini usb which it can also use to export data to a laptop or printer. problem is no video..... so when we drop a deck or big soffit off a house I got no video of it. good phone though I've tossed it around a few times and it fell out of a third story window opening to a concrete slab and still worked like it always has.

Alex
Old 02-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #12
Roofing Sage

Trade: Thoroughbred Roofer

I'm waiting for an i580 to come in Hybrid mode. I got the ic402's for my daughters. I can't wait to be able to get on that network. So far my phone service is great, but Hybrids have superior web features and outstanding multi-media (Internet, TV and I hear Satellite TV soon).

But if I never get on that Hybrid network, I'll be completely happy with my i580. All I wanted for my work phone was for it to be practially bullet proof and to make and receive phone calls. All the other features are just icing on a very substantial cake.

I don't have to worry about getting tar or sawdust on it or if it gets a little PL Glue or if my sweaty hands dial it. It's a worry free phone. I originally thought about getting two phones: a full feature Hybrid and a pre-pay Nextel Boost for the Direct Connect (one clean phone, one dirty cheap phone). I got both in the i580.
Ken Hendricks
Old 02-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 534

Personally, I like to get the cheap plasticy pieces of japan trash. They tend to break faster and screw up more often thus leading to less time wasted talking on the cell phone all day.

I can always check my v-mail from my non-hammered, smashed, ran over, dropped in the port-a-jon home phone.

Doesn't seem to matter what I buy, they are all crap. They are made for momma's boy sittin in his office with his suit and tie on with one of his $1499.34 cell phones placed neatly on his desk. Don't even get me started about the ear thingies.

You hired WHO
Old 03-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #14
Palisade Point Const.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalvin View Post

Doesn't seem to matter what I buy, they are all crap. They are made for momma's boy sittin in his office with his suit and tie on with one of his $1499.34 cell phones placed neatly on his desk. Don't even get me started about the ear thingies.
Take a look at the G'z One or the I580- they aren't made for sitting in an office, that's for sure.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #15

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 10

The JCB Phone!
This is the ultimate contractor phone
Jcbphone.co.uk
Old 03-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 1,602

Verizon Gzone. Its perfect -water resistent, shock proof, no springs, sealed unit for dust and water. i went through 3 phones then got this one, had it about 6 months and havent broken it yet. especially when trying to text after cutting tile on a wet saw.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #17
Damn Skippy

Trade: You can completely control your attitude...if you.
Rewards Points: 3,184

The best is the one that I "accidentally" leave at the house. I get SOOOOOO much done on those days.

Tmobile - 3000 anytime, nation / family plan rocks
Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #18
Palisade Point Const.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysconfusd11 View Post
Verizon Gzone. Its perfect -water resistent, shock proof, no springs, sealed unit for dust and water. i went through 3 phones then got this one, had it about 6 months and havent broken it yet. especially when trying to text after cutting tile on a wet saw.
how does yours do as far as pulling in a weak signal? Mine seems to do really well, and I was wondering if that matches your experience?
Old 07-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #19
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,700

old post, but its been a while and I was wondering if anyone had the Motorola Adventure....its "ruggidized" just like the Gzone....its is Verizons other "tough" phone they offer.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #20
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

I have this one.It is very durable.

http://www.casiogzone.com/type_s/