32 X48 Garage How Am I Going To Brace This Thing

Old 11-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
I prefer carpenter

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 81

32 X48 Garage How Am I Going To Brace This Thing

Took this frame awhile back, was just a garage to bang up when we had a chance. Got the plans today its 32x48 with 12' 2x6 walls, on a poured slab no interior walls.
I got thinking and I am wondering how I am going to brace this think for the roof. Not really a fan of driving stakes in the ground, and its frozen here ..

Any ideas.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
#MAGA

Trade: Builder/Renovator

Re: 32 X48 Garage How Am I Going To Brace This Thing

I usually just drive stakes because I would be building on frost walls and the slab would be poured after dry in.

Would they allow you to drive tapcons into the slab for some cleats to brace off of?

Could you run 2x stock across the bottom from plate to plate and then brace off of that?

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
I prefer carpenter

Rewards Points: 81

Slab is all ready poured, I was thinking I may have to anchor something to the slab to brace it. Its a mess the one 48 foot walls has 3 overhead doors in it the other is loaded with windows so I am going to need alot of braces.
So much for a quick and easy frame

Old 11-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General & Electrical Contracting
Rewards Points: 430

I'd just brace to the other side or diagonally for the 48' side.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Shell building contractor
Rewards Points: 1,236

If you could push rebar in the ground with a machine or a demo hammer, clamp a brace on those at their base. Ive never worked on severe ice but did this with an asphalt lot beside a large similar building.
jb4211 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: residential/remodeling carpenter
Rewards Points: 938

X2 on the plate across the bottom otherwise I would run long "x"'s the short way. Attach them in the middle where they meet and then run cross bracing so they dont sway back and forth
Old 11-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

I've used pallets with material we're going to use on them. Like the shingles. Then brace to those. I've also driven skid steers, back hoes, and excavators on 6x6 and braces off to those.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlsconstruction For This Useful Post:
Spencer (11-21-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 2,466

Run 2x4's on the slab from wall to wall across the entire floor and attach your braces to them as if it was a wooden subfloor. They self brace with forces acting against each and pushing against the foundation. It is a little extra lumber but very easy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dan_Watson For This Useful Post:
jlsconstruction (11-20-2014), Joasis (11-22-2014), shanewreckd (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #9
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Watson View Post
Run 2x4's on the slab from wall to wall across the entire floor and attach your braces to them as if it was a wooden subfloor. They self brace with forces acting against each and pushing against the foundation. It is a little extra lumber but very easy.

I like that idea
Old 11-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: General & Electrical Contracting
Rewards Points: 430

Quote:
With so much stained concrete nowadays, this is the most common method here. Framers used to shoot blocks down. Always created a divot that won't work if you're staining. It does take a lot of lumber. I think I used around 80-2x4x16s on a similar sized building.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Concrete
Rewards Points: 260

Quote:
Or cut 1.5 ft pieces of lumber and attach them to the slab with a hammer drill, 16 penny nail and a piece of cow tie (Wire)
This is how we do form work on top of existing concrete.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #12
Safety Third

Trade: Concrete Carpenter. Concreepenter? Carpencrete?
Rewards Points: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete2013 View Post
Or cut 1.5 ft pieces of lumber and attach them to the slab with a hammer drill, 16 penny nail and a piece of cow tie (Wire)
This is how we do form work on top of existing concrete.
I do that on most concrete, that isn't exposed. Since it's exposed slab I would avoid putting holes in it. I normally would go with JLS's idea. Pallets with a sheet of plywood and a heavy mound of dirt, or just a 2 ton lock block. We always have lots of blocks in our yard. I like Dan's idea though, counteracting forces bracing until the trusses are up. Slick.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #13
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 828

There are control cuts right? We drill holes for tapcons right in the control joint and tapcon a 2x block to the floor. Run the brace to that. When block is removed there is very minimal damage around the hole.
Windwash (11-21-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #14

Trade: Residential Home Builder/Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2

put up the 3rd truss from the end. Nail one end. Then get a 2x4x16 and nail the top of the brace to the bottom cord of the truss to where the bottom of the brace reaches the bottom plate of the wall where you nailed the top. Have a string nailed up on the inside of the wall and pull it straight according to the string and nail it. Then get the other end of the truss right and nail it. Then put a brace on the other side. This works pretty well for us. We do this for ijoists with long spans too. No holes in the floor, no suler long braces in the way no stakes in the ground. The only problem is if they are weak laterally. Then you may have to do a little bracing on the ends to keep them from moving that way. Repeat every 3 to 4 trusses.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 910

I do like so, tapcon in the cutline is good. Especially if sided pre tilt-up Quicker for me to just throw a 2x brace on the exterior also.
wam bam keep movin...
Attached Images

JT Wood (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #16
Pro

Rewards Points: 746

We need to do this in 2 weeks. Fortunately the owner is going to put a coating on the slab and say we can drill it. I'm going to put 1/4" Titans into the holes.

Am I the only one that can't get Tapcons to work? I use the bit that comes with them and still always break the screw.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #17
Windwash

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timuhler View Post
We need to do this in 2 weeks. Fortunately the owner is going to put a coating on the slab and say we can drill it. I'm going to put 1/4" Titans into the holes.

Am I the only one that can't get Tapcons to work? I use the bit that comes with them and still always break the screw.
Ha! I thought it was just me

I worked commercial for 12 years and we never used tap cons for anything temporary. Everthing was drill 3/16" hole, drop in 10" piece of tie wire folded in half, hammer in 16 duplex. Easy to pull nail when done with this setup and doesn't require everyone to have an impact or drill to back out tap con.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:04 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,388

If you guys have seen the duplex screws, we use those to hold ICF braces into the slab.

If you guys have never used these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/RemoveRit...7ZkRoCZ_jw_wcB you should try them. I don't buy then at HD, my contractors supply carries several sizes, and we use them for all kinds of stuff, over and over. The heads do not get buried like a good torx screw will, and these can take the punishment, plus the 1/4 drive head.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
The Following User Says Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
tgeb (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #19
Pro

Rewards Points: 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
If you guys have seen the duplex screws, we use those to hold ICF braces into the slab.

If you guys have never used these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/RemoveRit...7ZkRoCZ_jw_wcB you should try them. I don't buy then at HD, my contractors supply carries several sizes, and we use them for all kinds of stuff, over and over. The heads do not get buried like a good torx screw will, and these can take the punishment, plus the 1/4 drive head.
Awesome thanks! We are hoping to do an ICF foundation in a month or two. Just waiting on pricing to see where its at.

This is a small house that is two stories on top of the garage and the return walls are small. Engineer designed the thing full height concrete walls including garage header. I really am looking forward to forming this thing, but I also hope we get to go ICF route.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #20
Forming and Framing

Trade: Shell builder
Rewards Points: 3,582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timuhler View Post
Awesome thanks! We are hoping to do an ICF foundation in a month or two. Just waiting on pricing to see where its at.

This is a small house that is two stories on top of the garage and the return walls are small. Engineer designed the thing full height concrete walls including garage header. I really am looking forward to forming this thing, but I also hope we get to go ICF route.
good man

Advertisement

http://www.proicf.com
http://instagram.com/instagrauds