3-4-5 Method Of Squaring

Old 12-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #1

Trade: Residential Construction
Rewards Points: 10

3-4-5 Method Of Squaring

I just joined the forum today. I have a general question that I would like feedback from interested members. Can you tell me your experiences with using the 3-4-5 method of a right-triangle to square large areas such as foundations or roofs or ceramic tile etc.? I am from St. Louis and we always use tape measures to scribe arcs and develop perpendicular lines or right angles (90 degrees). I am interested in knowing how many of you use this method in your framing and constructive endeavors. This is interesting to me because a couple of years ago I developed a new tape measure that is patented by the USPTO. It is a standard tape measure that includes some "false labeling" or "false scales". It allows the user to square in this method using only one number instead of three. It also has infinite variability between two points rather than jumping by 3 feet or 4 feet as the traditional method is employed. I am trying to build interest in this currently and hopefully license the idea to a major tape measure manufacturer. Please tell me if you have ever used the 3-4-5. Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
ContractorTalk Flunkie

Trade: Remodeling and Renovation Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Re: 3-4-5 Method Of Squaring

I think most of us have used the 3-4-5 method. I personaly don't believe there would be much need in a special tape for squaring due to the fact that I use two tapes when using this method anyway.

http://remodelingncarolina.com
Old 12-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,036

Well....I do, yes. I also use the 5/12/13. However, to square up a foundation I wouldn't think of using anything else except for a construction master. sorry.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 12-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

3-4-5 is nice and I use it most of the time. how ever, to have another tool, with only one real use, in addition to the times it won't help (non 90 angles, VERY chopped up areas) I don't think I'd want to have to keep track of it. Just my $.02.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,020

I've used 3-4-5 and 6-8-10, etc, works pretty well for me. I also have a four beam laser that I use to square with. Don't know how I would take to another tape device though.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via ICQ to A W Smith

the Pythagorean theorem, It works, Even in St. Louis

Old 12-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,316

In wide use. I like to use two tapes also. Come off two screw heads stuck on a straight line, and where they cross you have your 90 degrees.

I think a lot of people would buy such a special tape if you could make them understand what it would be used for. It would take them a while before they realized they didn't need it. A lot of people just buy tools because they see them on the shelves or because they saw that someone else had it.

Noone ever lost money by underestimating the american consumer.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
Damn Skippy

Trade: You can completely control your attitude...if you.
Rewards Points: 4,498

CM

Square the entire slab. I usually come in 4" for 2x4 walls and 6" for 2x6.

Longest exterior wall [RUN]
Perpendicular exterior wall connected to longest ext. wall at a corner [RISE]

[DIAG]

Perfectly square slab.

In fact, I use both of my calcs (CM and SCI programmable) for all kinds of things...the more you calculate and strive to keep on theoretical/mathematical track, the more the overall structure will "self true" itself (or show you your mistakes)

Last edited by wallmaxx; 12-02-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
Fentoozler

Trade: Professional Pie and Pastry Taster
Rewards Points: 2,000

You think it might have helped these guys?

The UD is quite possibly man kinds finest accomplishment.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 2,738
Send a message via MSN to KennMacMoragh

I've used 3-4-5 a lot doing concrete, not so much in framing. I'd have to see how your trick tape works to tell you if it's any good. I am pretty open minded to new things, if I thought it could help, I'd try it.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #11
It's all about the Avatar

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,006

someone used the 3,4,5 on this and left it at 3,4,5 1/4 ,
Attached Thumbnails
3-4-5 Method of Squaring-what.jpg  

Last edited by woodmagman; 12-02-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #12
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction
Send a message via AIM to Greg Di

Kalkalata' for me.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,720

I use a 5 beam laser or 15,20,25 on foundations.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 3,681

I use the 3-4-5 and I am open to new ideas... much like someone was open to CMs, power drills, worm drives, chop saws, table saws, composite decking, and all these other new fangled devices.

Would I buy this product... most likely... Why anyone would not buy it is beyond me. Buying tools designed for a purpose is the reason we all own tools.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #15

Trade: Residential Construction
Rewards Points: 10

I want to thank everyone for giving their opinions. It is important to mention that the tape measure I have the patent on is going to be focused at framers, rather than contractors, per se. What I mean is that many times contractors will go out on a foundation (or similar) and take a laser or construction calculator and provide the "layout" for the men that work beneath them. But, calculators and lasers are by no means inexpensive, nor are they durable when walking an 8-inch foundation wall or 12-pitch roof. What most carpenters need on the job site, especially in these trying economic times we are in, are durable tools that can take a tumble. Lasers are very delicate. Calculators need batteries. Tape measures can fall off the roof and still work perfectly. When the pyramids were built, they did not have claculators and lasers! The tape measure that I have been discussing, is not a one-trick-pony. It is a traditional tape measure that contains translucent markings that are used for squaring. It does not take anything away from the standard tape measure. It simply adds functionality. That means that construction professionals can continue to use the tape on their non-squaring adventures, such as measuring siding or lumber and so forth. So, maybe a better question would be, "How valuable would a tape measure be, if it retained all of the normal functionality, but had additional functionality, for the same price?" At this point, I am currently designing a web page that will overview this tool. In the mean time, is there anyone out there that would like to know more? Would you like to be part of a test group and evaluate the product? If so, please supply an email address and I will, at minimal, send you a Microsoft Word document that completely describes the tape measure. If you prefer not to provide your email on this forum, please respond to EMAIL ******X . Your input is appreciated. For those that can understand the idea, I can ship you a prototype to use on your projects! Thanks!

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst; 12-05-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #16
Damn Skippy

Trade: You can completely control your attitude...if you.
Rewards Points: 4,498

The first e-mail you should have is Nathan's....and pay him for your marketing time on his site.

Good luck....but what a real "framer" needs is a calculator....it does SOOOOO much more than just squaring.

I have one all programed up that I will be patenting for sale...any takers?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmaxx View Post
The first e-mail you should have is Nathan's....and pay him for your marketing time on his site.

Good luck....but what a real "framer" needs is a calculator....it does SOOOOO much more than just squaring.

I have one all programed up that I will be patenting for sale...any takers?
I bought the original cm in 1982 and got pretty good at it. I also ran framers that liked their cm's. But in the end I can frame any house anywhere using
10th grade geometry which I guess most 10th graders don't get anymore. I still use my cm to balance my checkbook.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: General Contracting/CM
Rewards Points: 250

I use this. 1/8" in 100'.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:25 AM   #19

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 75

I use 3-4-5, a 30 ft. and a 100 ft. tape can't go wrong. As for another tape in my nailbags, nope they are to full as they are now. But some guy's I have worked with will buy just about anything that come's out new.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:07 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Lic. GC/Remodr - Commercial/Residential/Industrial

Portion of this Site's Rules:

Participants may not publish or discuss any information regarding their product or services, or future (possible) products or services, or any product or services they are, or have been, associated with.

Participants may not direct others to contact them regarding their product or services or future (possible) products or services, or any product or services they are, or have been, associated with.

Participants may not solicit the membership for feedback or suggestions on their product or services.

Participants may not solicit users for any project or purpose external to the forum; public, private, or commercial. Most importantly our member base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst; 12-05-2008 at 01:22 AM.