Skirt Board On Existing Stairs

Old 08-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #1

Trade: remodeling

Skirt Board On Existing Stairs

hey guys

was wondering if anyone could give me some advice with making a skirt board along a set of concrete stairs.

basically, how do i lay it out? the stairs will be carpeted after I finish my trim work at the job. Thanks!

I am also trying to get the skirt board to line up with 4.25" base. Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler

Re: Skirt Board On Existing Stairs

Cardboard template.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: general contractor/ remodeling
Send a message via Yahoo to send_it_all

Or....just lay a 1 X 12 on edge running up the stairs, resting on the tips of the treads. Scribe down to the treads the right amount to make it line up with your 4-1/4" base. Use a framing square to mark for riser cuts. Then if the risers are angled back as they sometimes are in a carpeted situation, scribe the skirt board back after it has been scribed down. This will usually require that 2 boards be connected together to cover the entire length of the stairs. If it is a paint-grade application, you can make straight cuts, and use biscuits to join them together. If stain grade, I usually make a scarf joint. (angled cuts.)

Last edited by send_it_all; 08-05-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: carpenter

For picking up the splay cut from stringer to base board,just lay a piece of base against the wall and mark the wall place the base along nose of the treads and mark this on the wall.
Where these 2 points meet will give you the angle that you will need to split to give the splay cut on the stringer and base board.
Do this at the top and bottom and you can pick up the length and width of the timber that will be needed for the stringer.
Don't forget that if there is a molding in the base this will have to be cut into the stringer before fitting. If the molding is to complicated rip a piece from a base board reduce the stringer to allow for this and the fasten the ripping to the wall.Taken step by step it's not that complicated.Billy.