Which One- Stair Tread Measuring Tool

Old 02-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,022

Which One- Stair Tread Measuring Tool

Looking to get one to speed up installation in these older homes that get re-treaded/risered. I've only seen a few online so figured before i order something, what are you guys using that works good and has fast shipping?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Which One- Stair Tread Measuring Tool

Wooden extension rule, and a good pair of scribes...

Best thing is, you can use both for a multiple of tasks. I've heard about the jigs, I wonder if they are worth purchasing...

Old 02-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,032

Three pieces of 3/4" or so plywood, - - cut the first as a rectangle about 2" shorter than your treads, - - cut the other two into triangles with all 3 sides (or at least the largest side) the width of tread. Lay left and right triangles out against edges (at corresponding angles), lay rectangle on top (with back against riser), - - then run two screws through each end of rectangle and into triangles.

Pattern onto new tread, unscrew, re-use for next . . .

Last edited by Tom R; 02-15-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
Three pieces of 3/4" or so plywood, - - cut the first as a rectangle about 2" shorter than your treads, - - cut the other two into triangles with all 3 sides (or at least the largest side) the width of tread. Lay left and right triangles out against edges (at corresponding angles), lay rectangle on top (with back against riser), - - then run two screws through each end of rectangle and into triangles.

Tom....your deflating my urge to buy another tool that will rarely see the light of day

Old 02-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,032

Yeah, I know, - - I was just havin' a white-trash moment, - - meanwhile I'm waitin' for the real answer with my loaded credit card ready to jump out of it's holster . . .
Old 02-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: new construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 594

We something called the "stairtool" Accurate and quick
Old 02-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Guy who plays with wood
Rewards Points: 516

I made my own out of some scrap lexan I had laying around.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
solar guy

Trade: solar contracting
Rewards Points: 1,000

I have used one similar to the one in this thread.
http://www.woodworkingbuzz.com/forum...hread.php?t=71

The difference is the small pieces he has to guide the saw would be further in on the boards so the wider part of the saw shoe would ride on the jig. real fast and foolproof Just use a sharp blade and you're good to go
Old 02-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
Pro

I seen THIS ONE but when i zoomed in, it looks kinda "fake"...I dont know if i like the rubber squeege ends.

Seen THIS ONE which is simple and sweet I guess.

Did'nt know if there was one that stood above all others

Edit: there is also THIS one, but i'm not sure i like the square ends since it'd kinda screw ya if the risers/stringers were outta kilter, I dont think this one would allos it to really dig into the back corners

Last edited by IHI; 02-15-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,122
Send a message via AIM to Cole82

I made one like the collins tool one it is very fast and easy to use. Just used 1/4" masonite scraps for the wings and a 1x4 for the spreader.

Cole

The boss of awesome
Old 02-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #11
solar guy

Trade: solar contracting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHI View Post
I seen THIS ONE but when i zoomed in, it looks kinda "fake"...I dont know if i like the rubber squeege ends.

Edit: there is also THIS one, but i'm not sure i like the square ends since it'd kinda screw ya if the risers/stringers were outta kilter, I dont think this one would allos it to really dig into the back corners
The one thing I don't like about any of those are that you still have to mark the tread and then cut freehand.
Well maybe two things The home made jig I made took me about an hour to figure out and make. Those things are expensive and don't work as well as something you could make for an hour's time and some scrap plywood. Once I took it out of the stair just lay it on the tread and run the saw. no pencils no cutting off the line by accident or run out from the saw.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Jigs, jigs, jigs, what do you think carpenters did before all these jigs came on the market?

I especially get a kick out of all the stuff Lee Valley sells to the HOs. We make all this stuff free, out of wood.

I have always made my own feather boards, zero clearance inserts, even special clamps.

I've got to invent some new jig, make a million and retire.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Residential Construction & Masonry
Rewards Points: 418

I agree with Norm wood rule and a set of scribes. I don't know though it sounds like a jig would be easy to build. I know the feeling though IHI, you just feel like you need to buy a new tool!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
Finishing Carpenter

Trade: finishing Carpenter
Rewards Points: 696

I'm not sure that I totally follow, not having done stair treads- yet! recently I had to do several shelves to install in a HO built cabinet. Out of square, strange angles! stuff that I live for

used my laser measurer to get scary accurate length, then my bosch angle finder each side to get the angles.

width varied from side to side (approx 30") almost 1/4" - used the festool ts-55 to cut that, then the angles on the scms chop saw (milwaulkee 12") 1/10 deg readout, so setting the correct angle was a breeze.

sorry for the thread drift! I do wonder though if a tread tool would be quicker.

Laurie

www.lauriescustomfinishing.ca
Old 02-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 3,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHI View Post

I've got the top one. It's really a high end tool. Mine is made of rosewood though. I really like it. Sure takes the guess work out of things.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmac204 View Post
I'm not sure that I totally follow, not having done stair treads- yet! recently I had to do several shelves to install in a HO built cabinet. Out of square, strange angles! stuff that I live for

used my laser measurer to get scary accurate length, then my bosch angle finder each side to get the angles.

width varied from side to side (approx 30") almost 1/4" - used the festool ts-55 to cut that, then the angles on the scms chop saw (milwaulkee 12") 1/10 deg readout, so setting the correct angle was a breeze.

sorry for the thread drift! I do wonder though if a tread tool would be quicker.

Laurie

www.lauriescustomfinishing.ca
Building a jig would be simple enough, but if i can order something purpose built fromt he comfort of my recliner to save an hour fiddleing around on the jobsite...I'll spend the money. I'm not so tight by any means that I'll sacrifice a lil time when i can just buy something....heck, I'd still use a hammer and hand nail or cut with a handsaw if that was the case I buy it now, then I'll have it forever...might not see the light of day again, but to be honest, I'm sure there's other uses i could find for it...many of my tools that are purpose built for one selling point, I find other ways to implement them into other area's just so i can use them, and just because I have them.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #17

Trade: custom painter, Jack of all trades
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post

hate to say guys but after looking into getting the wizard for this job and maybe waiting 8 to 10 busniness days to get while the boss is hounding me to get this job done, I tried out Tom's "whit trash" jig. Worked like a dream!! Had a little bit of sanding to make the cuts fit just right but the stairs are perfect. Thnx for the simple and easy solution. Plus it only took me 3 mins to make it.