Old Sears Belsaw Planer Molder

Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Environmental Contracting, General Contracting
Rewards Points: 150

Old Sears Belsaw Planer Molder

My uncle is retiring and looking to sell off some of his shop equipment. He offered me first crack. I am interested in any feedback on the older sears 5hp planer molder by belsaw. He offered this to me at 900 and that includes 4 sets of planer knives and about 10 different casing and baseboard knives. Also a rolling stand. I was looking at a grizzly 1 1/2 hp planer molder for 900 new. I would prefer to error on the side to much power instead of to little. any feedback would be helpful

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,422
Question

Re: Old Sears Belsaw Planer Molder

.......pictures would help....

Look like this...

B,
Attached Thumbnails
old sears belsaw planer molder-114-.jpg  

Last edited by PrestigeR&D; 03-23-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
Pro

looks similar but this one is in black. old school craftsman design. I have been looking for the last half hour and can not find a picture at all.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Wood Craftsman

Question

PARENOS,

I'll be honest with you... I think that's a little high "IMO" for a Belsaw . considering it's your uncle that's selling it.... Have you used it before ?

B,
Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,304

A new one is $1500, and yours would be worth less then half. You can google Woodmaster and check them out....they are virtually the same machines from half a century ago.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page

Last edited by Joasis; 03-24-2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
chief pencil holder

Trade: Custom Cabinet Maker, Handrail
Rewards Points: 1,000

Got to love family, he is bending you over. Worth about 300-350 in this market if you like him.

Get a brand new grizzly 20” for $1,200
http://sacramentomillworks.com
Old 03-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
Pro

I have not used it, and would want to use it before I bought it if i was going to. After seeing a few limited posts I was thinking 500 sounds about right. But I dont know if that would be an insult and piss him off. I dont think he is purposely trying to screw me I just think he is really off on price. He was talking about how it was a money making machine for him and how he could turn out molding for a quarter of the price that he could buy them from the supply yard. I am looking to use this to make some basic moldings (baseboards, casings, quarter round). I was also looking at the grizzly 1037z and a similar Jet. They are right around 1000 molding knives around 70 each figured 5 profiles would be a good start. So new lets say 1400. what is the opinion as to my best option?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
Wood Craftsman

Exclamation

honestly,
for all the time that goes into making very "little" molding... you will end up upside down... I think your uncle is sadly mistaken "Money Maker"... sorry to say...that's not so, unless he was purchasing truckloads of lumber in and throwing in 10-20,000 lnft through that a day....and that does not happen on that machine....just being honest with you...

Unless you get into custom molding,,,(and that won't happen that often),,, your better off buying molding- "IMO" ,but Thats up to you... I still think he is way off on that $$$$ for that..

B,

Last edited by PrestigeR&D; 03-23-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
chief pencil holder

Save up and buy new. It is an old machine, and most likely tired. He obviously has an inflated idea what it is worth. At 900 you are getting screwed. Look on craigslist, or save up.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
I like Green things

Trade: Custom Carpentry Services
Rewards Points: 5,044

I don't know how a single person could make money, making trim with that.

Any solid poplar moulding up to 3 1/2" wide cost me .86/ft to buy from my mill shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
I don't normally talk to people like I talk to you, however you have the little immature schoolgirl mentality so this is new to me.
Warner Remodeling
Old 03-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Cabinetry

When I buy equipment, I always consider where I am growing to in my business as much as what my needs are presently.

I personally opt for more power if the machine will last a long time.

What machine is going to be the easiest to repair and less likely to break down.

This is a business deal, not a family affair. The word uncle must be removed from the decision making process. This situation needs to be handled as if you were considering to purchase it from a stranger.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
Pro

I dont plan on making much money with this. I was just mentioning what he had said when we were talking about this. I think this is how he got this elevated price. However I can see with prices around here for molding how this could put some money back in my pocket. would a planer molder be what i would need for running about 100LF a week just for small jobs. or would I be better off getting a shaper? Which turns out better quality?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
chief pencil holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARENOS View Post
I dont plan on making much money with this. I was just mentioning what he had said when we were talking about this. I think this is how he got this elevated price. However I can see with prices around here for molding how this could put some money back in my pocket. would a planer molder be what i would need for running about 100LF a week just for small jobs. or would I be better off getting a shaper? Which turns out better quality?

If you donít plan on making much money with this why are you doing it? Is this a business or a hobby, you might want to define that before you start.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #14
Maker of fine kindling

Trade: cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 2,164
Send a message via Yahoo to Gus Dering

He is emotionally attached to the thing.

The best people to buy these things from are their heirs.

No way would I spend that on a old light iron piece of equipment. Especially if the owner said it was a money maker. I would want to hear "I used it a few times and it has been sitting in the corner for years".

I didn't mean to sound like a prick. It just comes out that way.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #15
Pro

Let me explain my situation and then maybe someone can give me some insight on what would work best for me. My main source of income is from Radon testing and mitigation. but I am hoping to hire someone in the next year to handle the everyday work of this business. I am getting more and more calls on my contracting line, and have decided that I would be better off only taking higher end jobs. Like everyone knows there are two types of clientele ones that want quality and the ones that want cheap prices. The only difference I have noticed, is that most of the time the ones that are only interested in price are a lot more difficult to deal with than ones looking for quality. Due to this, I am now trying to market myself to those wanting quality, and price is the second concern. because of this, I am interested in getting something to make moldings for my jobs. I have a large shop, so size is not an issue. I am not under some notion that I am going to make a ton of money with this machine, but do feel that I can be more competative with bids if I can turn out moldings for half the price I can buy then for.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #16
Pro

No I don't take what anyone says as being a prick or mean spirited, I really want peoples honest feedback, God knows I have made more than my fair share of bonehead moves, and want to make sure I dont make another, I am in my late 20's and by no means think that I know everything, but running the numbers, I think as an investment either a planer molder, or shaper would pay off. I guess now I am looking which way to go.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #17
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 3,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARENOS View Post
but do feel that I can be more competative with bids if I can turn out moldings for half the price I can buy then for.
Ah, but there's the rub, you can't. Or at least the last time I broke it down for what it would cost me to buy oak ( I get good pricing on s2s oak) & break it down on the table saw & factor in some time on the moulder & comparing it to what I could buy it for from the local mill, it wasn't a money maker unless you consider minimum wage for your time being good money.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #18
Pro

maybe I am paying way to much for moldings then. But I look at today for example. I have nothing going on today, a few follow up calls and some paperwork. So if I could crank out some moldings, when I have down time I don't see that as working for minimum because my other option would be watching tv and getting fatter. But I do understand what you are saying, and if i was booked solid for months out, then yes I agree it would be foolish to not buy them. Its all about opportunity cost. I love to work and will most likely work till the day I die. Then there are others that work to pay the bills. Nothing wrong with either person just different ways of looking at things. I volunteer for Habitat days I am free, not because I love to volunteer, but really for something to do and good recognition for my company. But I think this afternoon, I will call around and price out some moldings again to see if I am paying to much. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #19
Wood Craftsman

Question

Parenos,
you seam to keep talking about molding.....what is it you want to do. I read your situation and I understand- diversification.

You make it sound as though you are going to be putting trim/molding up by the ton. Can you tell us exactly what it is you want to do. I think most of us (if not all) are trying to save you from making an investment in machinery which will not return the profits you would like.

Bottom line,
tell us exactly what your plans are for expanding and what you would like to be doing...

I would be more than happy to talk with you about this-

B,
Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #20
Steve

Trade: Remodeling and Custom Cabinets
Rewards Points: 254

I have one of these planers and it is OK for work up to 12 inches. I would suggest a 15" wide or more unit. 900 is too high. Never ran molding as I buy it less than I can screw with it.