Murphy Bed Build

Old 01-08-2017, 10:11 PM   #1

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 142

Murphy Bed Build

Shortly before Christmas I got to build a Murphy Bed for a client. I love building custom pieces like this, but it is rare in my market to get to build fun things like this.

So yes, I'm bragging on my project a little bit. But I also want to put out some information so if you have the opportunity you have a starting point for putting an estimate together. (I had no frame of reference when I was first contacted about it)

I purchased a hardware kit from Amazon for about $300. It came with a full material list, cut list, instructions, and DVD. I'm sure you could put together a kit/mechanism for less but the kit saved a ton of time in figuring materials, troubleshooting, and design. It's the Create-a-Bed kit and it's very high quality and the customer (5'0" small woman) can open and close it with one hand.

The plans are just for the bed cabinet. The bookcases, trim, etc were my additions. Total I used 8 sheets of 3/4 ply and solid lumber for edging.

My total material costs, including the hardware kit were around $800. It took me, working alone, a solid week from start to finish. So figure whatever your labor is worth and there you go.

I wrote an article for my website and also have a YouTube video of the build if you are so inclined. http://www.daileywoodworks.com/2017/...phy-bed-build/
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to RMDailey For This Useful Post:
alboston (01-09-2017), asevereid (01-08-2017), BillD (01-11-2017), bmcquin (01-09-2017), Cricket (01-12-2017), hdavis (01-09-2017), millhouse (01-14-2017), overanalyze (01-08-2017), Peter_C (01-08-2017), rblakes1 (01-08-2017), Rio (01-08-2017), Sisyphus (02-19-2017), StrongTower (01-09-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017, 10:14 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 654

Re: Murphy Bed Build

Nicely done!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblakes1 View Post
Nicely done!
Thank you.

After this I'm wanting to put murphy beds in every room in my house. I wonder why they're not more popular? Besides the upfront cost...
Old 01-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 658

Nice work. I built one a few years ago using the hardware kit from Rockler. Fun build.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:19 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,114

I've built 4 to date. Fun projects to design and build. Have always used the Murphy hardware (springs). Glad to hear the create a bed hardware works nice as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #6

Trade: millwork
Rewards Points: 36

Looks great. That room looks like maybe it is a daylight basement. I think that you should get them to swap out the baseboard molding for some natural wood. Would go great with the piece you made. Nice finishing work my friend.

Ron
Quality Custom Interiors
The Following User Says Thank You to qualitycustom For This Useful Post:
RMDailey (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualitycustom View Post
Looks great. That room looks like maybe it is a daylight basement. I think that you should get them to swap out the baseboard molding for some natural wood. Would go great with the piece you made. Nice finishing work my friend.

Ron
Quality Custom Interiors
Thank you sir.

No, we don't have basements in Texas. This is on the second floor of a "Barndominium." The client built it to be two one bedroom apartments stacked on top of each other. The lower half is the "Master Suite" with all wheel chair assessable bathrooms, Kitchen, fire place, etc.

The upper level is the guest quarters. It has a large open area, where the bed was built, with a media center, wet bar, a full bathroom, and a small bedroom. The client lives downstairs, her daughter lives upstairs, and the murphy bed was built to accommodate guests, grandkids, etc.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 5,515

Nice job.

FYI:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/30266...amed-after-him

Advertisement