Looking For A Makita AF501 Or 502 - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Looking For A Makita AF501 Or 502

Old 10-31-2005, 06:51 PM   #1

Trade: Interior Trim Carpenter
Rewards Points: 10

Looking For A Makita AF501 Or 502

A couple of guys at work have an 18ga 2" brad nailer that I want to get. It is the Makita AF501. The 502 is the next version. What makes this gun so great is that there is no tip safety. Makita does make a 503 but it has the normal safety One of the guys said that there is another manufaturer that makes a gun with the same design but it is $100-$150 dollars more. It is the Max NF255-ST-18. Makita stopped making their version a few years ago. I have checked recond. sales, searched the web, and checked ebay. Anyone have any ideas on where I can get ahold of one?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
The Home Customizer

Trade: CARPENTER

Re: Looking For A Makita AF501 Or 502

I am looking of one of these also. I had kind of given up I had one and loved it, but it was stolen when my shop was robbed this summer. I lost thousands of dollars worth of tools but this was my biggest dissapiontment because my insurance has covered my replacements but I cant replace this. I have moved on to a Paslode Pnuematic 18ga. 2" nailer that has a supersoft feather touch saftey bump. you don't need to push on it so hard that you marr or move small pieces when you nail them.

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
The Home Customizer

Trade: CARPENTER

I don't know what you are doing with this nailer but I have also found the 20ga. senco micro nailer is nice for fine cabinet trim and very small detail work. It shoots such small pins that you can't see where the go in and don't need to putty the holes if its unfinshed wood when you finnish it you can't find them anymore.

Old 03-31-2006, 10:34 PM   #4
Heavy Weight Champ

Trade: finish carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

You can almost always figuire out a way to by-pass the nose safety. I have done it to all of my guns. It is kinda dangereous in the hands of others, cause they dont expect it to fire with the pull of the trigger, but it is way fun. And it keeps from making marks on stain grade wood, which is also another good thing.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:39 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Residential custom home builder
Rewards Points: 150

I don't know why you'd need to do that. We've been using Accuset guns with a steel plunger, and even they don't leave a mark if you're not hamfisting the thing. We also have a small black double-trigger (Bostitch?) nailer that we really like, but I suspect they've been discontinued for safety reasons.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Trade: Design/Build Pergolas & Pavilions
Rewards Points: 1,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Crown
You can almost always figuire out a way to by-pass the nose safety. I have done it to all of my guns. It is kinda dangereous in the hands of others, cause they dont expect it to fire with the pull of the trigger, but it is way fun. And it keeps from making marks on stain grade wood, which is also another good thing.
I did the same thing to all of my guns for years until last year when a buddy of mine put 2 nails into his knee.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #7

Trade: Hadwood Flooring

There is one for sale on ebay right now...
Old 04-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

Be very careful with nail gun safety. Old boss of mine showed me the scar from a 2" nail, went in his chest and wiggled it's way through him. They found it in his colon! It went through one lung and turned down going through it, punched in and out of his liver and intestines, and stopped before it came out the back door. gun had a stuck safety (he did it himself) and he didn't have enough hose, so he pulled on it. Gun spun in his hand and went off about 2" from his chest. Be careful.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 4,702

23 ga. pin nailers use a double trigger style safety, once that first on is pullrd back watch out. My Grex has a hair trigger, scared the crap out of me when I shot a 2" pin into my shoe.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #10

Trade: Carpentry, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

My bostitch TU-216-2330 has the double trigger. Make sure it is pointing AWAY from you at all times when connected to air!

Advertisement