Knee Wall Crown Top Or Bottom ??

Old 08-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
Steve

Trade: Remodeling and Custom Cabinets
Rewards Points: 250

Knee Wall Crown Top Or Bottom ??

I am doing a project at my house for a change and have a design question/opinion survey.
Does anyone put their crown up at the top of the slanted knee wall or do you put it up where the angled wall meets the short wall. I copied a picture TRIMCAT posted awhile back showing the crown mounted low. The reason for the higher mount is I built in the past along the entire wall a bookcase/dresser unit that sits flush with the wall, the majority of the unit depth is in the attic area with a door casing trim around the 3 sides of the face.
Thanks for your opinions in advance,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Knee Wall Crown   Top or Bottom ??-knee-wall-crown.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-25-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Framing and General Construction
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Knee Wall Crown Top Or Bottom ??

I have never seen that done and as a matter of fact that picture tweeks my brain thinking about that cut at the bottom. Pretty common around here to see the crown die into the slope and not go down the pitched part

Old 08-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
Finishing Carpenter

Trade: finishing Carpenter
Rewards Points: 528

that looks really good. I have the exact wall (room over the garage) that I need to trim out.

Laurie

www.lauriescustomfinishing.ca
Old 08-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Steve

Trade: Remodeling and Custom Cabinets
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfx3 View Post
I have never seen that done and as a matter of fact that picture tweeks my brain thinking about that cut at the bottom. Pretty common around here to see the crown die into the slope and not go down the pitched part
My wife had the same idea, I thought it was taking the easy way out.
BTW, Lowe's had a clearance today on 16' 3 5/8 primed FJoint crown for $80 a bundle,Regular $147. 160' per bundle. I took 4 bundles home. One of the Lowe's employees asked me what I was doing with all the crown. I told him I had a small bathroom but make a lot of mis-cuts